Are you really a steelman or kinda?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Austin Tripp

Post by Austin Tripp »

Yup. Im a dedicated steeler. I even missed my girlfriends birthday just to go to a steel guitar convention ( I guess you know how that turned out ).
"Hotrod"
Steel guitarist for Cody Jinks
Member CMA
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Well, maybe between day jobs and on weekends I tend to be a steelman, at least for awhile. Maybe it's just a phase. I went through it once in the '70s, and have been in it again for a few years. But the day job thing is what keeps food on the table, a roof overhead, the kids alive, and promises something for retirement if I live long enough for that. :\
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Steve Broatch wrote:I'm not a 'steelman'.

I can see that sort of dedication would improve my playing no end but I'd hate to give up playing guitar, banjo, dobro, harmonica, mandolin etc.

I'm a sucker for trying new instruments out. I got hold of a cheap fiddle lately to try out. I'm hopeless but it's great fun.

I find if I concentrate on one thing for so long I begin to lose interest and my playing becomes stale. That probably says a lot about my playing. :)
I'm like Steve. In fact I couldn't have written it better. I'm a Jack-of-all-Trades, Master-of-none. :D :oops:
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

to have backed up a few artists & friends as well as fronting my lil' band every once in a while, does'nt make me a steelman
first of all, i don't depend on steelin' to make a living & secondly, i did'nt consecrate enough time & energy on my chops to become one

i figure steeldabbler will do
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

From the definitions given above, I suppose I would classify myself as a dilnteetta(sic), since I never amounted to much, but, thanks to my God, I was awakened to reality early enough that I didn't sacrifice my entire existance and my family to try to become something that almost no one cares about, and probably I didn't have the talent for in the beginning.

I appreciate the steel-guitar icons as much as anyone, but I don't envy them, and I don't consider my life a failure because I am not included with them.

My other interests' in life have been rewarding financially and emotionally, and I would not change anything even if I could.
Mark Treepaz

Post by Mark Treepaz »

Gene, are you kidding? No sir, you ARE a STEELMAN.
Sho-Bud LDG, Gretsch Syncromatic Lap Steel, Fender Steel King amp, Bach Stradivarious 37 Trumpet, Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn, 68 Fender Precision Bass
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

I guess this would qualify me as a real steelman.
I spend as much time playing PSG as I do with my special girl friend "Patches". I treat them equally and then I turn them upside down in their respective cases fold up their legs and slide them under the bed.
Last edited by Bo Legg on 9 Nov 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

I don't know about all this.

Why should being a "steelman" be of any consequence at all in comparison to a part time "steelman" or a hobbyist part time "steelman". I have heard some "steelmen" that did not sound any better than the hobbyist.

I think that your enjoyment and your love of the steel guitar should be more important than whether or not you eat sleep breath the thing. I know pro players who don't have half the enthusiam for the instrument as the part timers/hobbyists/owners/enthusiasts do.

This is an odd topic.....
Mark Treepaz

Post by Mark Treepaz »

Bill Hatcher wrote:I don't know about all this.

Why should being a "steelman" be of any consequence at all in comparison to a part time "steelman" or a hobbyist part time "steelman". I have heard some "steelmen" that did not sound any better than the hobbyist.

I think that your enjoyment and your love of the steel guitar should be more important than whether or not you eat sleep breath the thing. I know pro players who don't have half the enthusiam for the instrument as the part timers/hobbyists/owners/enthusiasts do.

This is an odd topic.....
Bill,
I'd be willing to bet that a good majority of us here agree with your comment. I certainly do. But I don't believe that the OP intended any malice with this thread, but rather just to incite a lighthearted discussion:
Billy Carr wrote:( This is not intended to stir up arguments or to put anybody down, just a topic for fun and reading.)
Sho-Bud LDG, Gretsch Syncromatic Lap Steel, Fender Steel King amp, Bach Stradivarious 37 Trumpet, Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn, 68 Fender Precision Bass
Allen Kentfield

Post by Allen Kentfield »

People know me as a steel man, and sometimes ask, "What else do you do?" I don't know what to tell them.
David McMillan

Are you a Steelman or kinda?

Post by David McMillan »

Billy Carr, I guess I would qualify as a "sorta kinda". I'm 63 and trying to learn the Dobro and the NPS console. I love the music and the Forum. I've learned a lot from the Forum. I'll keep plugging away and I might be able to progress to a reasonable level. By the way, I live down the road from you at 614 Hwy 590 W.. Stop by or send an email. I'd like to meet you.

David McMillan :D
David McMillan

Ellisville, MS

Yamaha 300 Keyboard,
Handmade Console 8 Steel Guitar
by G.B. Greene, Louin, MS
David McMillan

Are you a Steelman or kinda?

Post by David McMillan »

Billy Carr, I guess I would qualify as a "sorta kinda". I'm 63 and trying to learn the Dobro and the NPS console. I love the music and the Forum. I've learned a lot from the Forum. I'll keep plugging away and I might be able to progress to a reasonable level. By the way, I live down the road from you at 614 Hwy 590 W.. Stop by or send an email. I'd like to meet you.

David McMillan :D
David McMillan

Ellisville, MS

Yamaha 300 Keyboard,
John DeBoalt

Post by John DeBoalt »

I love to play the steel, but I've been a resonator player a lot longer, and I think I'm better at it. I still like to pick up the 6 string now, and then, and I keep a Martin flat top close at hand. I guess I qualify as a jack of some trades. My classic under achiever mentality I.E. laziness keeps me from spending hours poring over tab, and learning other players licks. I just play songs I like, and have fun when I'm here in my office alone. Playing out is fun too, and some times I actually go out do it. John
Equipment: Carter D10, Zum Stage1,
Wechter Scheernhorn Reso, Deneve Reso, Fender Jazzmaster, Martin D16, Walker Stereo Steel amp, TC Electronics M One effects unit, JBL 15" speaker cabs,Peavey Nashville 1000,Peavey Revoloution 112, Morrell Lap Steel, Boss DD3 delay,others
David McMillan

Post by David McMillan »

Sorry the double post!
David McMillan

Ellisville, MS

Yamaha 300 Keyboard,
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

kinda jp
Carter,PV,Fender
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

No
John Gould

Once apon a time

Post by John Gould »

I have been one in the past. I played every day and made my living with the Steel. I went through about a 6 year period where I never even set one up. But now I don't have time to practice and only get to play once a week. So I don't consider myself a real Steel Man anymore.
A couple of guitars
Nashville 1000 Fender Mustang III Boss Katana MKII 50
Emmons LeGrande II and Sho Bud Pro II
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Not yet.
heavily medicated for your safety
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I'm a real steelman. I don't ever want to be known as a part time steelman. I'm a singin' steelman, meanin' that I also sing in addition to playin' steel. So, there ain't no kinda sorta to it, I'm a full time Greer, South Carolina steelman. I've actually got a cool story about bein' called Steelman, I was at a Dierks Bentley/Hank Williams Jr. show in Greenville, SC and I was hangin' out with Tim Sergent(Dierks Bentley's steelman), my friend Michelle Poe(Hank Jr's bass player) and Ricky Chancey(Hank's guitarist, who is also a steelman in Mobile, Alabama, and we were all standin' around talkin', when all of a sudden Ricky comes out and says, "Brett, the steelman!" I thought that was the coolest thing in the world. I wondered how Ricky knew I'm a steelman.

Brett
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

No, I definately cannot say that I am a steelman. I've owned my steel for a couple of years, but I've been busy playing lead guitar, which is what I've been doing for about 30 years. Maybe I'll devote more time to the psg when I'm good and ready.
Mitch Ellis

Post by Mitch Ellis »

Gene Jones wrote...

I appreciate the steel-guitar icons as much as anyone, but I don't envy them, and I don't consider my life a failure because I am not included with them.

There's a lot of wisdom in that sentance. I feel the same way. As for myself, it would be "kind of".
Mitch
Vic Lawson

Post by Vic Lawson »

According to the initial question I guess I'm a real steelman even though I have a home,a beautiful wife, a daughter in college, and a son who is a senior in high school and a real job as a steelman. Imagine that!
Rittenberry Steel Guitars, Eminence Speakers, Milkman Amplifiers, GHS strings,Lava Cables,
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Everything I said in my earlier post is true, but doesn't really explain my view of my relationship to the instrument.

When I play any instrument, including steel guitar, my focus is to try to be a "musician". I try to do what I honestly think works for the music, regardless of where it takes me. I think, at this point, that I'm quite partisan to the steel guitar, but not so much that if I think something else works better in a given situation, I won't do it.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I bought or built all my instruments with the intention of using them as backing on my multi-tracked recordings. When I felt a piece needed a particular instrument I would buy one and play it. I've always used the pedal steel as a backing for my own vocals and those of others: I never intended to do solos on it. I happen to like C6, so I play non-pedal most of the time.