Band uniforms... anyone still using them?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Frank Bradley

Band uniforms... anyone still using them?

Post by Frank Bradley »

I was wondering if anyone still wear "uniforms" in their band. Days past everyone was dressed alike or similar to add to the "show". I'm toying with the idea for my band to take it to the next level. Not looking for anything "tacky", but something that'll stand out and reflect our music and personalities... Mostly traditional country with a little Old Time R&R. There used to be a shop in Nashville that sold previously used studded and rinestone jackets and the like. Any ideas? Am I reaching too far here and should stick today's norm of "wear what's comfortable and clean"? I personally feel going back and reflecting on the bands of ole would be a welcome change and a honorable tribute to those great artists and bands that paved the way for us all.
Vintage BMI D-10/8-7, Goodrich 6122 pedal, Fender Twin Reverb.
Tommy Alexander

Band Uniforms

Post by Tommy Alexander »

Frank,
Not many of the bands do that, but Marty Stewart still keeps the tradition. I think that the store you asked about is still there in Nashville.
Lyle Lovett and his Big Band still wears suits and ties.
You might check and see if Marty Stewart has a website; chances are that's where he gets some of the outfits he wears.
That's about all I know about it.......
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

The Malpass Brothers wear the retro western stuff.
They furnish the uniforms when I play with them. Our
group Without further Ado has several matching outfits when we play for seniors dances. Both groups
get many comments on their clothing. Conversely when I play with Super Grit, it's frequently a biker bar and jeans and black T shirt is the thing, but
really that's a uniform too, isn't it?
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Our band always wears "uniforms". Usually just black pants, white shirts and black leather vests. But, we are "old farts" and still stick to the old tradition.

There are a couple pictures of our band on my web site. www.gulfcoaststeelguitar.com
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Days past everyone was dressed alike or similar to add to the "show".
I think this varies a lot by music style, cultural demography, and geography. I've been around for a while, and only rarely saw bands dressed alike or in any type of "uniform".

I've never been in a band with identical "band uniforms". There's a reason - I expect that would emphatically not go over at all with either club owners or audiences we deal with. But that's my situation - if you think it fits what you want to do, why not go for it? For example, if you are in a band with a really good country singer, want to give an authentic feel of a vintage C&W supporting band, and play for audiences that will appreciate that, it makes perfect sense.

But I think in most club situations I'm around, it would be way too much "schtick" to be accepted. I sometimes get flack when I wear a fancy western shirt and boots - I've actually had people tell me that "It puts a gap between you and your audience.", with the implication that audiences want to be able to relate to band members personally, down to the look and dress. I dunno - to me it's just a shirt that I like.
Conversely when I play with Super Grit, it's frequently a biker bar and jeans and black T shirt is the thing, but really that's a uniform too, isn't it?
I suppose one can consider anything a "uniform". I guess it's a "uniform" if it's forced uniformity.

This topic comes up occasionally. I imagine you'll hear from all sides. I'm occasionally surprised how controversial an issue band dress can be around here. I just chalk it up to different cultural demography.
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

Anyone have the contact info on the company that makes all those fancy outfits for the stars? Nutti? Not that I'd personally use one, but good info for this thread.
Shawn Canning

Post by Shawn Canning »

http://www.nudiesrodeotailor.com/

I was just tooling around on this site the other day. I don’t think they make suits anymore.
Lee Holeman

Uniforms

Post by Lee Holeman »

I think if bands would look like "bands" they would get more bookings and make better money (that is if not playing in bikers bars or joints). You don't have to wear suits--just shirts & pants alike. Everyone to his own opinion--this is mine.
Lee Holeman
Mark Treepaz

Post by Mark Treepaz »

I've played in several bands that dressed alike onstage. Not gaudy or overdressed, but many times just the same shirts and pants. I personally don't have a problem with it and in my opinion, offers a little class. Then again, as Dave mentioned, there are those situations where it may be out-of-place to do so.

I saw Loretta Lynn in concert a couple of weeks ago. The entire back up band was dressed alike - White shirts, black pants and vests. It looked good and "fit" into that style of show.

When I'm asked to fill in with a group that doesn't require unformed clothes, I just try to dress appropriate for the gig and venue. One thing that I personally don't go in for is torn up, dirty jeans and t-shirts and the like. But, that's just me.
Sho-Bud LDG, Gretsch Syncromatic Lap Steel, Fender Steel King amp, Bach Stradivarious 37 Trumpet, Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn, 68 Fender Precision Bass
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

We each wear our own uniform :) .
lee, we are doing ok with the band bookings and the gigs we play. Check out our band site. Joe
www.willowcreekband.com
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Mark Treepaz wrote:
I saw Loretta Lynn in concert a couple of weeks ago. The entire back up band was dressed alike - White shirts, black pants and vests. It looked good and "fit" into that style of show.

Mark-It was a great show! And great meeting you,What are the odds that you sat right in front of us?. Joe
Sonny Priddy

Dress

Post by Sonny Priddy »

I Always Said Dress Is Half of The Show. SONNY.
W. C. Edgar
Location: Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, East Coast Soon!

Post by W. C. Edgar »

I let everyone in the band dress as they please. We don't need the vest thing to cover up a lousy band. My music speaks for itself so it wouldn't matter if I was barefooted wearing overalls. I know this first hand because when I was first getting started I was in a few bands one of which wore all these stupid looking cowboy shirts with the flowers on the shoulders and the other band we had the vests.

One time years back we were playing an Elks Country Club gathering that the fiddle player had booked. He always dressed like one of the Texas Playboys even down to the patton leather boots. After the sound check he told me I'd better go get dressed and I replied, I am dressed. The rest of the band that knew me and the way I think busted out laughing. I had on Tony Lama boots with 18"tops almost to my knees, old faded Levis, a ripped up old Bocephus t-shirt and an old resistol hat signed by the great Red Steagall and sported a David Allan Coe hat pin and the hat had seen its better days. He about crapped right there thinking the crowd would be upset with my dress choice and never have him back. Once the music started and I started singing they (the crowd) couldn't get enough of it. Besides the regular pay I pocketed an additional $197 in tips that night and needless to say I didn't split it with him. Its all about the music and or lack of it.

WC Edgar

www.wcedgar.com

www.myspace.com/wcedgar
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

In my band [Strokin Dixie] we all wear black,just allways did this. I allways LOVED Nudie suits worn by the legends of country music,Hank Snow,Hank Thompson,Porter,Little Jimmy,Rays early days before he went pop,and dozens of others,and of course ET,[Just my opinion]some of these millionair [STARS ?] of today that play the opry or any venue with ragged jeans and tank tops have NO class what so ever.The old guys I mentioned above understood the term SHOW BUSINESS. I'm sure some will chime in and say[the grunge look is the style] I don't buy that BS. At home I wear my old jeans and worn out shirts,But Friday night when I step on stage I have enough self respect and pride NOT to look like I been on the river cat fishing all day. DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i agree with charlie. i would like acts to show a little more respect to the poor saps paying 'way' too much to see them!

i loved the nudie suit era, though never wore one. desert rose, dwight, and marty s. have the formula. i like the short jacket with jeans and boots....but would feel pretentious if the music didn't warrant the costume. (works fine for jaydee)

i think nudie has passed on, but manuel still makes stuff for marty...i think...
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I see where this is headed. It's already taken on
"the way you dress is an indicator of your intelligence (or coolness)" vibe. Playing in a working band is always a trade off between your vision of your art, financial considerations and
conforming (or not) to a particular musical culture.
Sometimes (but not often), you get 100% of what you want, but mostly you trade something. I still
maintain that if you dress in torn jeans and tank top, (I have no problem), you are still conforming to what certain of your peers accept.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Alan Tanner

Post by Alan Tanner »

The bands I work with don't dress alike, but everyone shows up dressed "well" with at least clean untorn britches and a button shirt. I usually wear a leather vest, but not so much in the winter. There is one guitar player around here who shows up with torn dirty shirt and pants the same. Often his arms and elbows are dirty from leanin' over a car. Don't get that, but that's his "thing" I guess. Remember leisure suites?? As much as we joke about them, they were a good cheap way for a band to dress alike with jackets back when..........
Larry Johnson

Band Uniforms

Post by Larry Johnson »

Our band had an interesting experience with band uniforms. We were all dressed alike and we pulled up to do a show, in our bus. We got off the bus to set up, and overheard people in the crowd say,we were going to leave, but they look good,and professional, lets stay and listen to them.So I say yes to band uniforms.
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

You look professional, you'll be paid like a professional when it all comes out in the wash (pun intended). I understand people wearing whatever they want, and it works fine for a lot of folks and I have NO problem with that. I just think they might have a bargaining chip when it comes to negotiating pay, if they don't look like they just fell out of the bunk. Jake Hooker, Bobby Flores, Billy Mata, Jody Nix. Top playing and paying bands and they look the part. They also pack every place they play.

I'm not saying everyone has to do that, but it sure doesn't hurt... JMHO :)
Frank Bradley

Post by Frank Bradley »

Thanks everyone for the great response. Please keep it going. We are a very good band, only 4 months performing, and are giving the established "star" bands in the area a run for their money. We're already steadily booked 2 nights a month at two clubs and that's about all we really want right now. We're all over 50 and have been at it for nearly as many years and are just at it for fun now. My feelings are this... I'm not looking for the western cowboy fringy shirt thing. I've always liked a uniformed appearance with individuality... everyone in the same style but not necessarily the exact same dress... ie, black vest, white shirt, black pants. No ratty jeans, sneakers, ball caps, t-shirts... but a professional and classy appearance. People pay to hear us and see a show and not only do I want to please them and look the part, I want to honor those great bands of ole by showing respect in this manner. I've had the opportunity to meet and front many of these great legends... Ray Price, Porter Wagoner, Mel Tillis, Freddy Hart and Loretta, just to name a few. Im not trying to drop names here the point I'm making is I always admired their look and sound and you seldom see this anymore with today's artists and bands. They look sloppy and disrespectful. I'm just fond of the ole days, the Grand Ole Opry the way it used to be. Anyhow... sorry for the rant... and again thanks for the input.
All of you guy/gals are the best.
Vintage BMI D-10/8-7, Goodrich 6122 pedal, Fender Twin Reverb.
Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

Ron Whitfield

Either Garvis or Paul Revere And The Raiders...

Post by Ron Whitfield »

...your choice!
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

'Nuff said, right there. :whoa:
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

I miss going to see bands that looked this good .

Pure class.

'Nuff said.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

I agree Stan,Today people pay BIG bucks to see Mr. Chesney's ugly arm pits,and a phoney cowboy hat,Oh well those little clueless teeny boppers love it,and the money roooolls in. Being a class act,respect,and REAL music has nothing to do with it anymore. Thank Goodness we at least have the RFD network. DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !