Lap steel cases

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Buck Dilly

Lap steel cases

Post by Buck Dilly »

Just and FYI- I bought several of these cases for a few of my lap steels. It fits Supros very well and my Fender S-8. Great quality. $23.00 shipped!!!!!
Hope these work for you. http://www.opticsplanet.net/tactical-rifle-case.html
Janet Newsom

Optics Planet case

Post by Janet Newsom »

Would this be considered a gig bag or is there more protection, ie semi rigid or lightweight hard case?
Thanks
Keep on pickin'
Dobrojan
www.myspace.com/dobrojan
Buck Dilly

Post by Buck Dilly »

this is a Gig bag with decent amount of protection. I have Supros and others. The original cases that come with them are terrible. No real protection. THe cases get beat up. The soft case has pockets, nice padding, a better strap than on the crappy Gretch gig bag. and the price is right. I bought 5 or 6 and made a few gifts to friends. I would rather put my Fender in this and save the Tweed case for its collectable value.
Janet Newsom

case

Post by Janet Newsom »

Thanks, I may get one in the future, right now I am looking for a hard case to protect my vintage instument. I need one with an accessory compartment.
Keep on pickin'
Dobrojan
www.myspace.com/dobrojan
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

I have a case on order from forum member Kevin Hatton. I can't personally vouch for his work since mine isn't here yet. But he has an excellent reputation. And my dealings with him so far have shown him to be everything that a business person who wants to stay in business should be. I expect I'll be able to reprt on the case by mid to late September. He does have a little bit of a backlog.
Amor vincit omnia
Harry Dietrich

Post by Harry Dietrich »

Janet

Check out this thread for more ideas.

Harry

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she left me before we met.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I'd agree, these are very good soft cases. They work just fine with the 1948 Gretsch (Valco made) lap steel I own.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Ray Shakeshaft

Post by Ray Shakeshaft »

Have some of you tried getting one of those so-called 'gig bags' through an airport these days? Hell I got enough grief with my National at Newark AP where some security guy was suggesting I took it apart so that he could see inside it!!!! (I was saved by one of his colleagues who fortunately was a reso player and knew about Nationals)
James Inkster

Post by James Inkster »

Heh, that's kinda funny... I picked up a B6 in SF a few weeks ago and flew it home with me. I had a pretty stressful half hour while security repeatedly swabbed it and the case, testing for who knows what... then they passed it through the x-ray 6 or 7 times.
My mind was racing, wondering about the previous owner and what they might find :)
Janet Newsom

case

Post by Janet Newsom »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Harry, I remember the post you referenced. I read through it again and got a few new ideas. I have a couple more things to check out then will decide.
Thanks!
Keep on pickin'
Dobrojan
www.myspace.com/dobrojan
Janet Newsom

molded case

Post by Janet Newsom »

I have found a case at Musicians Friend I would like some comments on........sorry but I don't know how to do pics but it is their brand, molded, economy, electric guitar case......I think it sells for $59.00. It looks like it would work without too much effort or modification. Any comments? I am also trying to track down a case I saw with a hand made steel on Ebay.
Keep on pickin'
Dobrojan
www.myspace.com/dobrojan
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

If you can point to the page on Musician's Friend where the case you're talking about is located, we could comment on it. Here are the three lap steel cases they carry:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigati ... steel+case
Brad’s Page of Steel
Janet Newsom

case

Post by Janet Newsom »

Sorry for the confusion. It is at Musicians Friend and I searched for electric guitar case and it is on page 2. I just looked at it again and still think it will work but would like all the advice I can get.
I want it for a Fender Champion lap steel.
Thanks
Keep on pickin'
Dobrojan
www.myspace.com/dobrojan
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

If it's this case, I would guarantee it is far too large for your Fender Champion. The gig bag listed above would be a better choice, in my opinion.
Brad’s Page of Steel
Janet Newsom

case

Post by Janet Newsom »

Thanks Brad. Yes, that is the case. If you will look at the link Harry Dietrich has on his post, you will see some photo's Jason Dumont posted of a Fender electric case that he modified for his lap steels. This is what I was thinking about doing to this case. I have a chip board case the lap steel is in now but I need a hard case.
Thanks for your feedback.
Keep on pickin'
Dobrojan
www.myspace.com/dobrojan
Janet Newsom

case

Post by Janet Newsom »

The interior of the case listed above is what attracted me to this one. There are photo's of the interior but I don't know how to post....sorry. If the case is deep enough I would probably cut one piece of foam to fit the body area then scoop out the shape of the steel.
The neck rest may need widening a bit. Comments? Suggestions?
Please?
Keep on pickin'
Dobrojan
www.myspace.com/dobrojan
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

The link I gave above has links to the photos of the interior of the guitar case. It's made for a solid body electric guitar and is much bigger inside than a Fender lap steel. You could certainly cut out some foam or use other types of padding to get the lap steel to fit snugly within the case. That's a lot of work when you have perfectly good alternatives already available.

If you want a case for your lap steel, buy a lap steel case. There have been many other suggestions on cases that work well in other discussions in the past. Among those suggestions include a shotgun case, tripod camera case, baritone ukulele case, and dulcimer case.

You could buy a $60 electric guitar case and spend more time and money on it than you would if you bought a case that was a better fit. But it's your time and money...
Brad’s Page of Steel
Janet Newsom

case

Post by Janet Newsom »

Thanks Brad, I have looked at all the cases you mentioned except for the tripod case and I will look at that before I decide. None of the lap steel cases I have found will fit mine and/or have an accessory pocket. The guitar case is only 3 or 4 inches longer and maybe 6 inches wider, which will be great for extra storage. I think it will be a fun project if I decide to do it.
Thanks,
Keep on pickin'
Dobrojan
www.myspace.com/dobrojan
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

This meets some of your requirements. It is actually a gun case. I've been questioned a few times while "carrying" :whoa: . Cut out your outline and away you go. Multiple Ebay vendors. I think I paid $40 for this one. VERY sturdy.

Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Janet Newsom

case

Post by Janet Newsom »

Thanks Howard, this case I like....a lot. Since posting earlier I had an idea how to add a storage compartment to one of these....find a plastic case with lid, cut out the foam and glue it down.
Think you could find the link to the seller....I don't remember seeing one like this.
You obviously don't think the chemicals in the foam will hurt the finish of your 57 magnum? :D
This is the case for me. Thanks!
Keep on pickin'
Dobrojan
www.myspace.com/dobrojan
Jonathan Lam

Post by Jonathan Lam »

Howard how long is that steel that is in that case?
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Overall length is 34 inches.

h
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L