Solid State Amplifier Differences

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Duncan

Solid State Amplifier Differences

Post by Bill Duncan »

There are constant posts here about which amplifier sounds best, but I can't recall anyone with any real technical knowledge explaining the electronic design differences in the amplifier models/brands.

Would a member who has a genuine technical knowledge explain why a Session 400 for instance sounds different from a Vegas 400. Why does a Nashville 112 sound different still. Why does the Fender Steel King have yet another sound.

I know there is a marked difference between tube and solid state and I can understand that. But when we talk of the differences between solid state models, what would make the Webb sound different from Evans, Peavey, or Fender.

I understand that speaker type and size is a big variable, as well as cabinet construction, but the question I am asking is about the electronic component and design nuances involved to get the tonal differences. Not speaker and cabinet, I understand what those items do for, or to the sound. It's the electronic design differences that has me wondering.

Just something I've often wondered about but was afraid to ask.
Last edited by Bill Duncan on 14 Aug 2009 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

I don't know the electronic specifics about each amp, but all amps sound different because of differences in cabinet construction and speakers. The Nashville 1000 has the same preamp as the Nashville 112, but the two sound entirely different due to the different cabs and speakers, not to mention the power amp.

Often, something as simple as the brand of opamp, or in the case of a discrete amplifier, the differences in transistors, has a lot to do with the way an amp sounds. The capacitors, and resistors also color the sound a bit. As far as the specifics, I don't know (and there's a lot smarter people here than me).
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

hey Bill,

heres some guesses form an amatuer
-components, the quality of components used and their values.
-design, which components are included and or emitted, how these components are layed out on the board and in the chassis, the order of the components (tone stack before or after reverb? presence knob? "scruff" knob? what kind of eq if any?), even how they are wired and the routing of the wiring.
-cab and speaker selection and design
-transformers and power rating?
-color? :D kidding

I'll be interested to hear from some who actually know instead of my half baked guesses.
John Gould

Post by John Gould »

Here's my understanding of the difference. Semiconductors are what makes a amp "Solid State". So have semiconductors changed over the years, OH Yea!
If you think about the row of out transistors on the back of the Session 400. Those where the early version of a semiconductor that took the place of a output tube. So as semiconductor technology has moved forward the characteristics of those devices have change an so the sound changes. Companies like Peavey and others have chased the tube sound or characteristics in a semiconductor device. So just like a EL84 output based amp sounds different than a 6L6 based amp. The different semiconductors sound different as well. Things like slew rate, harmonic distortion values and so on have a bearing on what the final product sounds like.
A couple of guitars
Nashville 1000 Fender Mustang III Boss Katana MKII 50
Emmons LeGrande II and Sho Bud Pro II
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

I'll read it. I just read the Federalist Papers again. Anyone who can get through those will be entertained reading about amplifiers for sure.
You can observe a lot just by looking