Vince and Rodney????????????????

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bobby Bowman

Vince and Rodney????????????????

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Well, I've been in "showbiz" about 54 years. I've seen and heard of, been a part of and done a lot of things in those years. I guess I was as surprised as I've ever been when Jay Leno announced a group and it was headed up by Vince Gill and Rodney Crowell singing a song called "It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your ass out all day long".
Leno said something like,,,"now that's what I call a country song",,,,,
I'm not sure what to think!!!!
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Hi Bobby;
Check this link out that Mark Van Allen posted about this very song: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum4/HTML/006696.html
Apparently they used to work together in some bands before they became famous & they still like to get back together when their schedules permit..YES it is country!!!!!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ron Whitworth on 05 August 2004 at 03:34 AM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Rickmann

Post by Russ Rickmann »

Aw c’mon now Bobby…..you remember, at one time or another, they both worked with Emmylou in her Hot Band. And they’re now calling themselves the Notorious Cherry Bombs, another band name from their illustrious past. Mr. DiVito is on steel…..should be quite a collection. Now Bobby, that’s country! Ha, ha. Russ
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Bobby I missed that but got to hear a sound clip of the one song on the internet a few days ago.
BTW,how ya doing on the no smokin? today is day six for me,its ruff but its time.

------------------
Fred Justice
Events Dir.
SWSGA www.swsteelguitar.com

Bobby Bowman

Post by Bobby Bowman »

I thought the music was good. And, I sympathize with the thought of the lyrics. It probably is a fun song to do under the right circumstances. I'm not sure that this was the best time or place to do it,,,at least for some of the vast audience.
Thanks for all the info Russell.
Fredie,,,it's been 19 days for me. I'm so proud of you.
Most of the time, as you go along, it gets easier,,,but the few times that come along when it's not so easy, seem to be a little harder for me.
BTW, Russ has been smoke free for over a year now. As much as he used to smoke, I know it has to be a real battle for him too.

****Ron, I just clicked on your link to MVA's thread. I didn't realize the "roots" of Vince, Rodney and the group. I guess it's a serious effort at being funny (the song), but I guess it just didn't catch me in the right mood for something like that.****
------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bobby Bowman on 05 August 2004 at 08:59 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bobby Bowman on 05 August 2004 at 09:01 AM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Bobby

I know what you mean. I heard this first at Vince's live show a month or so back, which was as appropriate a venue as any to perform it, and, once I'd heard the 'hook' and briefly smiled, I found I didn't need to hear the joke over and over again.

I think it's a questionable choice for TV - even late in the evening.

Good to hear that Hank DeVito has emerged again, though - I had wondered if he was still active.

Roger

PS: Me and the Profex have gone our separate ways - now I'm 'dating' an old Martin....
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

FWIW - I got this C/D for free due to a shipping error on the part of Amazon and I paid what it's worth.
JE:-)>
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Gripe, Gripe, Gripe. We finally get some country steel guitar(The Great Hank DeVito) on nation wide TV and we complain. I liked the song as I can identify with the lyrics. Rodney and Vince probably had malice aforethought when they chose this song. I think they figured this song was what the majority of Leno's viewers think is is what country music is about. I know I will catch a lot of flak for this post , but I have been in this business of steel guitar and country music for 60 years and have, as Willie sings' "skin like iron." See you down the road, Jody.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Sanders on 05 August 2004 at 12:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Uhl

Post by Ray Uhl »

Ok! Bobby, I couldn't resist the temptation to add my 2 cents. I agree with you, FULLY!! I love County Music and I've played it for over 40 years and to this day can't accept comments that protray it as "corny"! Seems like someone is always quick to comment on country song lyrics, but how many times are they made about other music?? Help me out, folks, I would like to know. Rap,Rock, Bluegrass, etc. come to mind!!! I wonder if the "stars" writing these lyrics, would have done so before becoming famous. If they were, are they truly "Country Music Lovers?? Sorry, if I offended anyone, but I feel better now. Guess I'm just getting old and touchy. Image
Terry Edwards

Post by Terry Edwards »

The day that country music loses it's sense of humor and no longer is comfortable making fun of itself is the day the music dies.

Thanks to the Notorious Cherry Bombs for keeping country music's sense of humor alive!

I thought the song "It's hard to kiss..." was outragously funny. I bought the CD for that one song and people I have played it for that are not country music fans loved it!

t
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

No, Jody, SOME of us complain - and not, you'll observe, about the steel guitar.

I found the lyric mildy amusing - first time through the chorus. Like Bobby, something about it disturbed me, but I'm not sure what.

I thought the object of the thread was to invite opinions - I only expressed mine.

RR
Dennis Atkins

Post by Dennis Atkins »

I was thrilled to see Vince and Rodney on the Jay Leno show last night. I was not expecting to hear what I heard, but I was laughing so loud that I went out and bought the CD today. I think the whole CD has some great songs on it, and I think that Vince in some way pays homage to Johnny Cash with his song Oklahoma Dust, because it has the Johnny Cash sound.

I would agree with the lyrics being unlike any other normal country song, but as others say here, it is humorous, and we should take it for what its message is saying. That these things do happen in marriage, and not only in country marriages, but most marriages. It just took two great singer/songwriters to put it down on paper and record it. And as the lyrics say, "I might as well say it, cause the radio won't play it", is most likely the truest statement made about the current country music being played on radio.

Dennis

------------------
MSA S-10 Sidekick
Gorilla Amp with Digitech RP100 Processor
pedalman@msn.com
www.geocities.com/mnpedalman/index.html

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Can someone post the lyrics? I think it sounds like a hoot. Kinda like stuff the Austin Lounge Lizards would do.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

I've only heard the excerpt on the website Jimbeaux, but the following lines as I recall them give you the idea: "....sometimes I might feel frisky, but these days it's much too risky, it's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your ass out all day long...". I thought (speaking as someone who loved, for example, "Seeds and Stems" and "Mama Hated Diesels")it was pretty funny. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Blair on 06 August 2004 at 08:56 AM.]</p></FONT>
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

I think it is trash like this that hurts country music,then we whine because the music don't sell and steel guitar is dying. Maybe Vince is trying to get his new wife completely weaned of of the music that made her so loved and so popular.

OK to flame me,I still won't listen to the song or buy it.I am rather glad it does not fit my taste.

I guess it won't bother me either if someone else likes it and buys it.Kinda like garage sales I guess. What is trash for some, is treasures for someone else.
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

I think some of you fellas are taking this song way TOO seriously..I really think it was meant as a joke..Why not just look at it that way? No sense getting all bent out of shape over it,just laugh & go on..But is sure is a lot more "country sounding" than some of the stuff i hear coming from my radio & TV these days + it does have our favorite instrument( pedal steel ) used in it..Lighten up a little & have a laugh...
Ron
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

I went out to get some opinions from people I know and respect. So far, here's what I have:
The boy next door named Sue said he liked it.
Grandpa has mixed emotions about it – said they didn’t talk that way in the Good Ole Days.
Grandma always gives her opinion – she’ll be visiting for Christmas. So barring any mishaps with a reindeer, she’ll be glad to shed some light on this too.

Personally, I think it’s VERY profound.

Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Way to go Donna. Jody.
Melanie Renfro

Post by Melanie Renfro »

To Mr. Cohen I believe it was that wanted the words, I've got the CD out in my car. I'm just too lazy to go out and get it. The chorus is something like, "All day long, she gnaws on and on. If someday they dropped the big one. I'd say sweet Jesus she's finally gonna leave me alone. It's allright if we say it cause the radio won't play it. It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your ass out all day long." I wish the radio would embrace it and play it over and over. All right I'm through now.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Thanks, Melanie. I just don't unnerstan why that guy doesn't go GET A JOB instead of hangin' out at home where she can "gnaw on and on" all day long at him. Seems this problem could be fixed pretty easily with a little employment!! Image
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Hi Melanie. Hope everything is going well for you, your dad and family. Hope to see you in St. Louis. Jody.
Melanie Renfro

Post by Melanie Renfro »

Hey there Jody! Don't know if we'll come to St. Louis or not. As a rule, if Moon isn't there we don't make the trip. No offense to the rest of ya! But Moon's our man. As for the topic of discussion, if anyone is in the Nashville area on Sept. 10 the Cherry Bombs are playing at the Ryman. Be there!!
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

This song is getting local airplay, (the offending words are bleeped out).
My hat's off to these guys for bringing a bit of light hearted humor, on a topic that so many can identify with.
We're so wrapped up in the seriousness of what's going on in the world right now, have we lost our ability to laugh?
I think they've got a minor hit on their hands.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

David

I haven't lost the ability to laugh - I just don't care for even mild bad language (the joke isn't exactly hilarious to start with). This will strike some of you as faintly ridiculous given the depths to which standards of general behaviour have fallen - in that context, 'a**' is barely considered a profanity anymore.

I think that's a pity.

RR
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

www.959theranch.com is playing the fire out of it and has been for a few weeks now. It's the #1 requested song. NOTHING bleeped out. Ya gotta have a sense of humor about it. Can't believe some stations bleep out "ass" when ya hear some "loud" cruisers pulling up next to you with the rap-crap coming at you over the airwaves and choice of words, etc.