Classic Country Music Hasn't Died, Just Went Underground !

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Keith DeLong

Classic Country

Post by Keith DeLong »

The only AM station we could get around here played Classic country--they were bought out, now there's absolutely no stations playing that format. What it could mean is that more people will get out of the house and go see live bands playing classic country, that being the only way they can hear it.
Kenny Martin

Post by Kenny Martin »

Sorry Barry! Ok, so i have ask Hoover vacum company to sponsor todays country because it sucks so bad!!!

Is that better :eek:
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Bo Porter is good and comes from a music loving family. I finaly got to see him my last visit in Austin with Herb Belosky (?) and Buzz Evens at the Broken Spoke.

Bo's Aunt Correne runs the Panhandle Opry in FL.
Skeeter Stultz

Post by Skeeter Stultz »

A few years ago at one of the award shows either the CMA or ACM. Lee Ann Womack did her latest "I may hate myself in the morning", Good sound, three part fiddle and very good steel work. The performance brought a standing ovation. Now you know there would be a lot of producers in the audience and even some might look around and say HEY, I got an idea. How about some more of this type of music? Is it the producers or the producers higher authority? In other words the bottom line.
GFI ULTRA D-10, EVANS, FENDER 2000 (WORN OUT) TWIN REVERB W/JBL'S, OLD 4-10 BASSMAN
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

It's like the a radio station we have here in Louisiana. The station plays the "legends". That's a bunch of bull hockey. Their idea is The 70's and 80's. One day I was listening to them at work and I heard the Judds sing "Mama He's Crazy" then about an hour later I the Judds again singing "Love Can Build a Bridge". To me that is not "legends"; To me the real legends are Marty Robbins, Jean Sheppard, Connie Smith, Lefty, Hank, Ernest and etc. Not the Judds or Kenny Rogers. They are more like what they called back in the day "Countrypolotan". Not Country in my book. I was shocked on day back in 1982, I was over in Houston visiting my mom and dad. While there I was listening to the radio, I called the station that shall remain nameless and requested "Tomrrow Never Comes" by Ernest Tubb. The DJ rudely informed me that they won't play Ernest Tubb because he was too country. About three months later on a return trip, that particular station was sold to another company and they changed their format. I blame these people that have the corporations in New York and Los Angeles, that sit in their highrise buildings that have bought these stations and formed groups. These suits tell the local program directors, what song is Country and tells these program directors what to play. Well buddy, I am here to tell you that I am TOO COUNTRY AND DAMN PROUD OF IT! I miss the days of the local radio station. I did a little bit of radio when I was in highschool. The school I went to had a radio station, and I was the morning man, I got to play Country Music even though the student body was into Rock and Roll and Disco was making it's way. A lot of the student body liked me playing my Country Music, to them it was a change of pace.
I guess I'd better get off of my soap box. for and I offended anyone,I am sorry. It's just the way I am
Tommy
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

From what I see, stations that play classic country is a growth industry. There seem to be more of them all the time. I agree, Tommy that a lot of them think country music started in the 70's, but I am hearing more Buck Owens and Merle Haggard than I did five years ago. We have "The Bear" 97.9 and 98.9 that plays a lot of 70's and 80's but late at night they play early Ernest Tubb, Webb Pierce, etc. They even carry the "Into the Blue" bluegrass show on Sunday nights. The DJ's know and value the real stuff. I think we can thank Eddie Stubbs for being a leader in this trend.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Paul Russell

No better place than Bremen, Ohio.....

Post by Paul Russell »

There is no better place for classic country music, in my opinion, than the Liberty Bell Restaurant in Bremen Ohio and there is no better steel guitar player in Ohio, again in my opinion, than Mike Sigler. If you are tired of bubble gum, diaper cowboy "country" and if you want to have a GREAT time and listen to REAL country music, then check it out.

Mike Sigler wrote:Dustin
Classic Country Music Is alive And Well in Bremen Ohio, About an hour southeast of Columbus in a Resturant called the Liberty Bell.... It is always packed with 150+ people all the time, and more then half of them are 25 to 30 year range...we have lots of pickers stop in and even a branson or nashville act or two every so often...No Smoking or drinking, and the foods great. Stop in sometime..
Mike

PS. we do tons of Ray Price,Loretta, Conway, Merle, and so on...
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Did I miss something? Are you saying that the top 40 music is not country anymore? How depressing that would be. I hope it's just a rumor.

I'm starting a barbershop quartet and I'm looking for a good steel player. :)