Msa Tone

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Larry,thats my point,it's all opinion,over the years I have owned a LOT of guitars over the years new and used,all the top brands.Guess I was searching for the right one for ME,Several years sold a Pro 2 because of the weight,went to Bobbe's and bought a new GFI ULTRA S-10,[ wonderful guitar,again just my opinion] but missed the 6th neck so much,I traded it to a friend for a 74 MSA D-10 CLASSIC, That STOPPED my trading,Recently I realized I had to have something lighter[I'm an old worn out geezer] The band I play with may play three different places in a week,The D-10 was just getting to hard on me having to load and unload in the belly of a bus several times a week[that old gal was HEEEEAVY] Traded her for a 76 MSA CLASSIC S-10,The D-10 was mica,the S-10 is wood,found out I like the wood better[again JUST my opinion].Mr. Reese want you to know I respect your OPINIONS ,I have two steel heros,you and Mr.Bobbe,not only for your playing,but the knowledge each or you have about guitars,I used to read ALL your articles you wrote for the old steel guitar mags,And was buying your tapes before they were on CD,If you read some of my posts [between the lines] you will see a LOT of tongue in cheek references,My philosophy of life is it's too short to take some things too SERIOUS like what guitar has the best tone,etc,It all boils down to the same old thing,what is BEST is BEST for each individual,not what someone else thinks. For myself I think the old MSA'S were the best built guitar ever made,some I'm sure will disagree,but why argue about it,that's not going to change my mind.Some just get too uptight about small things,they need to lighten up some play this wonderful instrument [brand] of their choise and HAVE FUN. HAPPY PICKING YA'LL. DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Larry that was a great post above!

To widen the pickup opening to accomodate the George L's that I installed on mine I used a 1/2 inch router bit in a 1/2 power drill. This may seem a bit unusual instead of using the router, but the router is a bit difficult to use in such a small area without going off track, which is certainly not what you want to to.

Carefully mark your desired area you need to widen with a pencil and take your time with the bit. If you get too much it will pull your bit to the side and you will go too much. To complete the opening use a small file and 80 grit sandpaper then a finer grit like 220. Patience is the key as it's very easy to get off track and cut too much. Mine came out just fine and I'm sure you will have no problem. I took a small amount of black paint and painted the inside of the pickup area to cover the bare wood.

Good luck!
Dave
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

OOPS! :roll:
Double post...
Bernie Hedges

E-66 in '74 MSA

Post by Bernie Hedges »

Hi David and Larry,
I did the same thing with my 74 MSA S-12. I used a router and spray painted the inside. You can hardly tell except in the sound. You won't regret it. Here's a picture.

Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Thanks very much fellows, I am going to do the E66, just because i have a lot of faith in it, and i beleive it will be an electrical up-grade to a very fine instrument.
I shall have to take my time no dought, with me being this anal!!
:lol: :lol:

Thanks charles by the way, so you prefered the Maple one over the Dieboard one then.

Bernie, Did it improve the TONE??:D

P;S I wasen't digging at anybody about the thread, i just diden't want it to turn into a 'Tone war' when it was really about 'Wood'.

Talk soon kids! :wink:
A.K.A Chappy.
Bernie Hedges

Post by Bernie Hedges »

It definitely improved the tone. The original single coil was getting a little noisy is the main reason I did it but I was very impressed with the E-66 and think it sounds much better. I think a humbucker also sustains more, which is also true in regular six string guitars. You may find it a little mellower sounder and not as bright but a little amp tweak will take care of that.
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

I think most steel players are not just optimists, but `Optonists`, to coin a new word. Optimal Tone is what we seek.

Arch.
I'm well behaved, so there!
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Tone is a fleeting thing. Some days I have great tone and my guitar sounds so good it gives me chills. Other days it sounds so bad it gives me chills.

Must be me, not my guitar.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Larry Bressington

Bill Duncan wrote:Tone is a fleeting thing. Some days I have great tone and my guitar sounds so good it gives me chills. Other days it sounds so bad it gives me chills.

Must be me, not my guitar.
I have those days too bill, normally after a warm up all is good. :D
A.K.A Chappy.
Larry Bressington

Bernie Hedges wrote:It definitely improved the tone. The original single coil was getting a little noisy is the main reason I did it but I was very impressed with the E-66 and think it sounds much better. I think a humbucker also sustains more, which is also true in regular six string guitars. You may find it a little mellower sounder and not as bright but a little amp tweak will take care of that.
Thanks bernie, i installed them in my sho-bud must have been 10 years ago,' brought the guitar out of the grave, they are a great product i think.
It wont change the wood though!! :lol:
A.K.A Chappy.
Larry Bressington

Thanks fellows for your replies.
I have come to the conclusion after reading the threads, and of course hearing it from the [horses mouth, Mr reece himself] it seems that there is no hard evidence that a 'Maple' body really has a different tone to a 'Dieboard'body.
Some can hear a slight if any, but not enough of a difference for it to be 'bad' vs 'good'.
All guitars of the same brand sound different anyhow due to the cut of the wood, i beleive 'wood 'has it's own voice along with construction.
I will install an E66 in her for my own reasons, bring her out of the grave and up to date a bit with a noiseless humbucker. I wont regret it, and i swear it will be TONE TO THE BONE!:P
A.K.A Chappy.
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Larry B....Thank you for the kind words. I don't think you will regret installing the E66 pickup in your MSA. It worked best for me when I adjusted the front and back using the width of a quarter to separate the strings from the top of the pickup. I believe the E66 and the older MSA guitars are a perfect marriage. Let me know if it works for you.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Forgot to mention my CLASSIC S-10 HAS THE E-66, Just my opinion of course,I LOVE IT. DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Brian Rung

Post by Brian Rung »

Early 70's classic, E-66 made the guitar come alive...high end to spare, if I had to peel paint, I could. I'm not sure why people say these are "dark" or "muddy" sounding guitars.

The super sustain didn't sound "bad", but did not have the clarity that the E-66 has, and, I don't know if it has anything to do with anything but I get more compliments on my tone now than I ever have before, and most night it's just the MSA through the Hilton and the N112 straight in.
Aspiring Hawaiian.