Standing vs Sitting and Showmanship vs Comfort

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dom Franco

Standing vs Sitting and Showmanship vs Comfort

Post by Dom Franco »

I have played steel (pedal and non-pedal) in many band gigs and group situations.

Usually it's me and the drummer in the back row or off to the side because we are sitting and everyone else is standing.

Now we all know that a big part of performance is appearance, wether we like to admit it or not. Sitting is somewhat passive and less projecting appearance wise.

Now that I am doing a lot more solo gigs, it has become even more evident to me that standing up projects a more engaging image. Not to mention allowing you to be seen by the audience in the back row...

All this to justify my quest for an instrument that I can play while standing.

I just purchased a peavey power-slide, and it just may be the ticket!

Dom :P
Chris Tweed

Post by Chris Tweed »

I have faced this dilemma when playing dobro with a bluegrass band and opted to stand even though I hadn't practised playing and standing.

It was okay once I got used to the neck bobbing up and down slightly and learned how to steady it. I now feel more confident about it, so I'm glad I tried it.

When using a mic to amplify the dobro standing allows me to fade in and out simply by varying my distance. Of course, I have to remember to walk back to the mic when I play a break. Walking and playing dobro at the same time is harder than walking and chewing gum :)

Oddly, the b**jo player sat through both sets. I think it's better to stand (and move).
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

After I got the Asher "Belly Bar" for my EH Junior, and also learned to control the featherweight Weissenborn when standing up, there's no way I'm going back to sitting down.

Not only does it look much better for the audience, but getting away from the monitors and amps was a huge relief. And of course, you can have a lot more fun, which again makes it more entertaining for the crowd. 8)
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

This sitting position is my only objection to the pedal steel guitar.
From the beginning of my steel guitar fascination, I have always liked the standing position.

You are correct about audience perception.
If you will notice, most electronic keyboardist stand while performing (standard piano __ always sitting).

I feel most comfortable, playing a standing console steel guitar, exactly waist-high and centered behind the fifteenth fret.
Too, when I watch other players, this standing position is more aesthetically appealing from the audience IMHO.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Well, I know this is in the Steel Without Pedals section, but sitting as a requirement for pedal steel has already been brought up as an objection to the instrument. I think it would be crazy to give up my chosen instrument just because I can't stand up and play it. There are ways to project from a seated instrument, if there is a desire for that. Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Elton John had no problems with that. Well, they were all singers, but what about Duke Ellington, Liberace, Dave Brubeck, Ramsey Lewis and all those jazz piano players who are the leaders of their groups.

Robert Randolph has no problem holding attention as he positions himself front and center and refuses to be relegated to the back row with the drummer and bass. The Campbell Brothers anchor each side of the stage on lap and pedal steels, but they are up front, not in the back row. And, if you have ever had the pleasure of seeing Jim Cohen's Western swing band "Beats Walkin'," you will have seen how Jim sits front and center and leads the band. And look how it's done at steel guitar shows, with the steel out front, and the band behind or to the side.

It's all a matter of how you want to interact with the audience and the rest of the band. If you let the standup players push you to the back, stand in front of you, play louder, and take all the leads and solos, they will.

If you have to end up in the back for space reasons, it's possible to bring a foldup platform, if it's important to you. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Steinar Gregertsen

Here's a photo (lousy scan) from a gig a week ago with two of Norways leading "country/roots/americana/whatever" artists, Steinar Albrigtsen and Monika Nordli:

Now, if I had been sitting down on this gig, as I would have done a while back, I would have:

1 - been deaf by now because they demanded the loudest monitor levels I've ever experienced on a semiacoustic gig like this. My weiss was actually vibrating from the sound pressure..

2 - not been able to keep an eye on what they were playing, and since this was a 'pick-up' gig and I'd never met any of them before, that was quite important for me.
Website - YouTube
Ray Montee

Now if you were a steel playin' ROCKER......................

Post by Ray Montee »

Wouldn't it be appropriate for you to wear your Dobro type g'tar, down around your knees or lower?

That way you'd be standing like the really BIG, younger Rock STARS, and also, you wouldn't look like an aging olde codger, because you'd look 'cool' going thro' the gymnastic gyrations and shenanigans like the real young rockers do. That's show business!With your ripped-legged denims and hair down to your beltline, along with your metal rings in your lips, nose and ears, you could orchestrate flipping your hair into your playing routine.

Artistic expertise, anymore, is a thing of the past. Just look around on television.

We must continue to move forward, upward and onward.......and put symbolism ahead of sutstance. That's where today's country music has risen.

We have a northwest steel picker that sits proudly atop his 'riser' which places him at about eye level with the group's other musicians. With some pyrotechnics and smoke bombs plus a few of those zooming spot lights, I believe he's really pioneering the missing link in what country music has long lacked. Let's see more of this.
Mat Rhodes

Post by Mat Rhodes »

Maybe steel players should exercise, pay more attention to grooming, and become better lead singers?

I don't think anyone cares whether Sarah Jory sits or stands. ;-)
Robert Murphy

Post by Robert Murphy »

I play classical guitar in an ensemble and only serious guitar players sit. So when I get out with my band the chance to stand up and perform rock, blues and country on my dobro is welcome and appreciated. Our next goal is to get rid of the music stands but that will take some time. Not enough memory cells!
Steinar Gregertsen

Re: Now if you were a steel playin' ROCKER..................

Ray Montee wrote:
Artistic expertise, anymore, is a thing of the past. Just look around on television.
Not sure I understand your point here Ray,- what's this got to do with playing a lap steel standing up? Isn't Jerry Douglas displaying "artistic experience" when he plays his lap steel standing up?

Website - YouTube
Rocky Hill

Post by Rocky Hill »

I think you you should play it however your comfortable, and not worry about how it looks.

Rocky
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

If a musician is playin some cool soundin steel guitar I don't care if he's standin, sittin, or spinnin on his head. :P
Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

I always play my Stringmaster standing,even when practicing just because I'm comfortable with it.. :)
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

What I was getting at is; no matter how good you play, if the audience perceives you as not engaged and projecting. (having fun, making eye contact, etc.) You are losing them.

It is much easier and comfortable to sit when I play, but I lose something performance wise. Hard to explain but you gotta be seen as well as heard. I'm not talking wild clothes, hair and gimmics, just being personable.

I have a compromise that I also use...
A tall barstool and keyboard stand seems to work very well. just being 10-12" higher helps to show the audience that you care.

Dom :)
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

When I play PSG, I play standing up. I raised my Bud ala Don Warden, currently 3 + 0.
When I play solo acoustic gigs, I play sitting down. I find it is much easier to command the audience sitting down.
Rob Haines

Post by Rob Haines »

I play Dobro, pedal steel and non-pedal. I produced Rob Ickes' performance DVD for Mel Bay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vH0hjMzwhk
I asked Rob about him standing during a particular section and he declined. He said something to the effect "I don't want to stand, I can give my best performace sitting. You are a player, you know what I mean." Yeah, you loose a little control with that Dobro bobbing around.
A non-pedal steel on legs is a different issue. I'd like to get more comfortable standing. But when you use a volume pedal, isn't it like playing while standing on one foot?
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

Interesting topic, Dom. I've actually thought about this a lot and have been wrestling with that quite a bit lately. I actually like the look of people playing lap style because it's different but if it's done in the background the player goes unnoticed.

Players that sit up front and command attention are almost always the band leader, Ben Harper comes to mind when I think of a lap steeler that commands attention and looks great seated. Lately I've been using a stand but it's set high so that I can stand and move a bit more... also makes it easier to opperate pedals and helps me to be seen. At home I highly prefer the guitar in my lap.

I've experimented a bit with standing but so far it feels unnatural so I've not persued it but I'm thinking maybe the proper setup or a properly fitted belly bar might help.

There's no problem with musicians who's only concern is making great music but for those who also want or need to draw a larger crowd showmanship is a consideration. Plus some follks are natural showmen and need to express themselves.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I play better when I'm seated. That's probably because I'm used to pedal steel for so many years. On regular guitar I stand at gigs, but I notice when I sit in a chair I can play that a little better too. Old habits are hard to break.
Ray Montee

Speaking only for myself....................

Post by Ray Montee »

My comment was intended NOT to be critical of ANY ONE PLAYER........his choice of musical instruments; or the country in which he lives/plays......(standing or sitting!).......

but rather, what appears to be a solid hold on the
'new country music format' here in the USA.

But, I'll let it rest. Go for it!

DOM, I feel you raised a good point. THANKS.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

...no matter how good you play, if the audience perceives you as not engaged and projecting. (having fun, making eye contact, etc.) You are losing them.
I used to think that too, but it IS possible to connect and engage the audience when seated. The steel player has to stop staring at his strings and start noticing his surroundings, make eye contact with the audience and with other band members, smile once in a while and look like he's having fun. Fun and energy are important ingredients, and a player should be able to transmit that to a crowd, seated or standing.
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

I agree with Doug. I know that when I'm playing solo, it's much easier to get and keep their attention if I'm sitting. When I'm standing, their focus is at least 50% visual, and at best 50% auditory.
I guess it depends on how close you want em to listen.
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

I always stand when performing -- I feel more energetic, and I can interact more with the other musicians and the audience. Also, I sing lead and harmony, so, it's better for breath and vocal tone. This is why I wear a steel like a Dobro -- I want to be able to move around, turn, move in and out from the mic stand.
Ray Montee

They even made movies.........................

Post by Ray Montee »

Back in the days of Sol Hoopipi(sp?), Roy Smeck, Alvino Ray and others of that era, they used to make motion pictures of THE STARS as they sat on a piano bench with some sixty musicians all decked out in white Tuxedos sitting behind them on risers.

Someone off camera would hand a Uke, followed by a BANJER, then a standard g'tar, then the steel g'tar and all was well. Lot's of flying hands and arms to emphasis their artistic talents......with lots of lip stick smiles, etc.

I think we have to be open minded and as said above, stop looking down at our strings and lower, at our pedals. Perhaps a white tuxedo would do the trick.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Perhaps a white tuxedo would do the trick.
It worked for Jeff Newman! :)

and Alvino Rey

Ray Montee

You did it again!

Post by Ray Montee »

Duggie Boy...........You did it again.

You are fast....and do come up with some truly appropriate material. We're all very proud of you.