Starter copedent?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Dudash

Starter copedent?

Post by Mike Dudash »

I am new to this all and just got my Marlen pull/release on Monday today is the first day that I got to try following Mickey Adams on youtube and found that when I follow the strings and levers that he is saying to push/pick etc I get no where close to the same sound. Is there a common learning/ standard setup/copedent which I can use to get me in the ballpark? I was looking at the underside and think I can figure out where to move the rods to get the setup I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff Harbour

Post by Jeff Harbour »

You're already in the right place. b0b's awesome!
Check this out:
http://www.b0b.com/infoedu/e9theory.htm

Jeff
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Mike, I think you need personal help. I'm all for slogging through written instructions if you've nothing else to occupy your time, but I think an established steeler with a little mechanical setup background is what you really need. Many people are overwhelmed by all the whys and wherefores of setups when a person with a little experience can zip through the basics of setup and tuning while you watch and listen. A small mechanical problem could have posting and reposting for days while you try to figure out what's wrong. An experienced steeler could probably spot the problem (and fix it, or give you some options) in a few minutes.

Go here for nearby help...one of these guys is bound to be nearby. Most of them are very helpful, and would be happy to assist/advise a newbie.

http://www.onlinesteelers.com/stateslis ... nStates=OH
Chris Morrison

Post by Chris Morrison »

Here we see a strong case for the Carter Starter, used or new. Its fixed copedent guarantees a predictable guitar that works with the vast majority of teaching materials to exactly those who need it -- people starting out!

Carter Starters have been getting a lot of bad press lately on SGF because people have mistaken the Starter's strength, its fixed copedent, for a weakness!!

Newcomers can buy a used Starter, confident that the copedent will be unchanged. The cost will be less than all but a very few pro or semipro steels, and you can dig right in and (gasp) learn on it! (full disclosure: I have a Carter Starter for sale.)
Nathan James

Post by Nathan James »

Where is Bridgeport exactly? I myself just started, and I live in Sugar Grove, close to Lancaster, Columbus, Athens.
Jeff Harbour

Post by Jeff Harbour »

I'll second that on the Carter Starter. I'm a huge fan of them. I still play mine any time I'm too lazy to set the D-10 back up. Feels great under the fingets, sounds great, an holds its tuning quite well over time.
I'm not trying to talk you out of the Marlen, Mike, but I just think the Starter definitely doesn't get the praise it deserves most of the time. So, I don't know if you were even considering another guitar, but if so that's the one!

Jeff
Mike Dudash

Post by Mike Dudash »

Nathan, on the river across from Wheeling Wva. Chris that is a good point one that I never thought of when purchasing.