Does Daryle Singletary use a steel on the road ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Katie Smith

Does Daryle Singletary use a steel on the road ?

Post by Katie Smith »

He was here in my hometown at our annual July 4 celebration on the river. But, I was celebrating the holiday with my family. Which also happened to be my birthday, but I'm not telling my age.. :mrgreen:
Leroy Riggs

Post by Leroy Riggs »

I don't know the answer to your question but the steel he uses on sessions is fantastic. He IS a steel-loving man!
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
Kyle Everson

Post by Kyle Everson »

My buddy Danny Mohammed plays steel and lead guitar for Daryle Singletary. He's almost always in tune :wink: .
Clint Stevenson

Post by Clint Stevenson »

I've never met Danny, but I've heard good things about his steel playing. He used to sit in (fairly regularly I think) with the Jackson Junction band of Southern Illinois when I was there (1999-2002).
Sierra Session D-10, Goodrich 120, Peavey Tubefex, QSC RMX850, Twin Peavey BW 15's in Justice cabinet.
Sho-Bud Pro III D-10, Goodrich 120, Line 6 Pod HD Pro, Crown , Twin Peavey BW 15's in Justice cabinet.
Dave Magram

Post by Dave Magram »

When Ray Price performed in Modesto, Calif. about six years ago, Danny Mohammed was playing steel as a Cherokee Cowboy, and did an outstanding job!

-Dave
Scott Truax

Danny Mohammad with Daryl

Post by Scott Truax »

Kyle,

Thanks for the info about Danny playing for Daryl
Singletary.

Daryl is a favorite of ours. We were pleasently surprised to see him a few weeks ago at the CMA
Festival in Nashville.

Danny does a GREAT job doubling on steel and lead.
And was very busy doing it !!

Scott Truax
Adam Kavanaugh

Danny Muhammad

Post by Adam Kavanaugh »

I had the pleasure of catching Danny Muhammad playing a show one night on Broadway in Nashville a few years back. I don't know who the singer was but Danny was switching between pedal steel and lead guitar and made the show great. He's a super nice guy as well, I got to hang out with him for a while after the gig. If anyone gets a chance to check him out playing with anyone they should. He's a great steel player and he's a monster on his tele!
Didi Waechtler

Danny Muhammad steel/guitar fingerpicks question

Post by Didi Waechtler »

Does anybody know how Danny Muhammad can change the guitar and steel so quick? He use picks right ? Do he play guitar with fingerpicks too ?
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Check this out - it certainly sounds like he's using picks but the change-over is lightning quick...

Daryl's a pretty great singer. I did a gig recently when Daryl was just travelling with a guitar-player. I don't often stay and watch other bands but when I heard him singing at the sound-check I had to hear more! He's a nice young man, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7zb94NIhq8
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

If you look real close, you can see the thumb pick, and at times it looks like he is pushing the finger picks back on tighter. Might be my imagination though.

None-the-less, he is really good, both steel and guitar. Sweet gig. Daryle is one of the best in my opinion.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Lynn Stafford

Danny Muhammad

Post by Lynn Stafford »

Wow...very impressive playing! I'm thinking that he uses thumb and finger picks to play both, from what could tell. He seems very cool and collected. It seems like he just takes it in stride, switching back and forth at will like he does :whoa:

Daryle Singletary has a great voice! I'm hoping he comes out to the Portland, Oregon area sometime so we can go see his show.
Best regards,
Lynn Stafford

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
Richard Sinkler

I also think he uses finger picks on both. Does anyone know if Danny is still with Daryle? I would also love to see him live, but would be happier if he still has a PSG player. I thought I read within maybe the last year or so that someone saw him live and he had no steel player
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

Dannys not with him no more. I played for him in Canada.
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Tim Tyner

Post by Tim Tyner »

I would just like to add that I met Danny a few years back when our band opened for Ray at White Oak High School in Jacksonville,N.C.After the show I stood with him in the parking lot and talked for a good while.I will always remember Danny and that black push pull Emmons.I have his autograph still.He is an awesome player and one of the nicest guys I have ever met.He can also wear a Tele out as well.
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

Daryle was here a couple of months ago. Vic Lawson was with him. He played great and is a nice guy to boot!
They put on a great show.

JG
Emmons/Sho~Bud/Blanton, Fender/Peavey.
Telonics pedal
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Singletary's album That's Why I Sing This Way is one of my all-time favourite country albums. Between his impeccable vocals and Mike Johnson's fabulous steel playing, it's a delight from beginning to end.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
BOBBY JACKS

Steel Player

Post by BOBBY JACKS »

Didn't Have One I Riverside,Iowa I ask Him WHY He said They Were TOO LOUD And I Told It Wasn;t The Same A11 ??????????? with no Steel
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I simply cannot comprehend that last post!

:?
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Roger Rettig wrote:I simply cannot comprehend that last post!

:?
I'm going to give it a shot. :P

"Upon seeing Mr. Singletary perform a concert in Riverside, Iowa, I questioned him as to the absence of a steel player in his ensemble. Mr. Singletary claimed that the excessive volume of a steel guitar had deterred him from utilizing one in his present lineup. I told him that he was inaccurate in his estimation, and that the song "A11" did not sound as good in the absence of a pedal steel guitar."

I'm just having fun, Bobby. :) It is odd, however, that Mr. Singletary might make a comment like that. I thought he was supposed to be a traditionalist.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

It's comforting to know that we have a linguist in out midst; punctuation is everything, isn't it? Thanks, Chris!

When I spoke with Daryle at that one gig (where he was performing with just an additional guitarist) he gave the impression that he loved steel (and that's after hearing me play!) I believe that economics demanded that he work as a duo.

What is wrong with the world when a singer as fine as Singletary is forced into making such a choice?
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Roger, I think at least part of it, as related to economics, is attributable to the current "global economics attitude" which IMO translates to, people these days expect virtually everything for nothing or close to it..
Richard Sinkler

I would also think the lack of steel was an economic move. There's a good sized club here in the bay area, and sometimes when national acts come through, they will do an acoustic set with the artist and maybe 1 or 2 members of the band. The club and it's stage can handle a whole band, so it has to be a matter of the money.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

My favourite Singletary track is this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-cGkLV0AzE Real country!! Tele, fiddle and pedal steel. Doesn't get any better. :D
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

....and Ken's link led me to his duet with Rhonda Vincent: 'Afetr The Fire Is gone' - give that one a listen!

The great thing with Daryle is the fact that there's no trickery; I watched sound-checking with just his acoustic guitar and he sang through a barely adequate pa system. All the richness and dexterity was fully present and I got chills listening to him. What a talent he has. I don't think there's anyone quite as good on today's scene.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Absolutely Roger. I have most all of Daryle's albums. Probably the best country singer around today. He has much of George Jones' lower register, and is the best thing since Alan Jackson came along. Thank God these guys keep the tradition going.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,