Tuning Fender FS-52 lap steel ?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John Wiesner

Tuning Fender FS-52 lap steel ?

Post by John Wiesner »

I just recieved a fender FS-52 lap steel as a gift. can someone tell me what the tuning is for this lap steel? I want to try some Hawiian music, Tunes like harbour lights, beyond the reef, etc. please reference the tuning from the lowest wound string. the string sizes are 56-44-34-26-18-14 thank you for any input
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I usually play those old Hawaiian songs on the
C6th tuning.
From low to high: C E G A C E
I think you need to lighten up the string gauges, however.
The proper gauges for the above tuning would be something like this:
1st - .014
2nd -.017
3rd - .021
4th - .024W
5th - .030W
6th - .036W

Edited by Brad Bechtel for clarity.
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Or (E-C-A-G-E-C) As it should be, PER BASIL. :lol:

1 E
2 C
3 A
4 G
5 E
6 C
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

First of all, congratulations on the new guitar! We should all be so lucky.

Secondly, my apologies to Erv. I had to edit your listing of string gauges to go from 1st string on top to 6th string on bottom, not reversed as you had it. It bothered me TOO MUCH. :)

I agree with Erv, though, on the string gauge recommendations. You'd probably break a .056 string before you got it up to the C pitch needed in C6th tuning.

Just because you got the guitar as a gift doesn't mean you shouldn't change the strings to match the tuning. When I played one of these FS-52s in the store, I was struck by how bad the factory supplied strings sounded. Perhaps they were just old, but they weren't very good at all.

If you click on the Strings link at the top of this page, you'll see what b0b has available for that tuning. Purchasing strings through that link helps support the SGF.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Brad,
I had trouble listing the tuning and string gauges backwards but it seems to me that that was the way John wanted it done.
I agree with you that you shouldn't pick a tuning according to the strings on the guitar. It should be the other way around; pick the tuning and then put on the proper gauge strings.
John Wiesner

Tuning Fender FS-52 lap steel

Post by John Wiesner »

Thank you all for a fast reply, I will use that C tuning, with the proper set of strings. :D