Affordable mic for home recording?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wayne Franco

Dan, Your'e right about the ribbon mikes

Post by Wayne Franco »

I have a Shiny Box ribbon microphone and really like it. I didn't realize they were made here in the NW. I also have a Vintech 272 Pre that works great with the ribbon mike. I remember you talking about them quite a while ago and looked into them. They are more expensive now but well worth every cent.

Wayne
Jerry Gleason

Post by Jerry Gleason »

The Shiny Box ribbon mic is great on resonator guitars, fiddle, bright archtops, anything where you want good dynamic response while taming brightness and scratchiness. It's a fairly dark sounding mic compared to the average low-priced condensers, but very rich and full.

A good preamp will help immensely. Most good mic preamps are priced beyond the average hobbyist budget, but I'd look on Ebay for a used Symetrix 202 or 302 two-channel mic pre. They can usually be found used for under $200, and while not truly world class, they are miles better than the preamps found in cheaper mixers.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

since we were discussing mxl mics and ribbon mics...i wonder how the mxl ribbon mics are? they are certainly inexpensive.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

I have one of the MXL ribbon mics. With a good preamp, as the story goes, it sounds very good. You can't compare it to a condensor, it's got a different response, and takes some practice using it.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Steve Waltz

Post by Steve Waltz »

I am thinking about a Nady RSM-2 ribbon mic. $160 range. It seems to get good reviews. MXL has a new ribbon mic, MXLR44. First shipping isn't until 6/29/09. $100. I can't bring myself to buy an expensive preamp right now so I'm curious if anyone knows if the built in, not so great preamps on my Mbox2, will work for these mics? I'm thinking the Nady could help give a little more vintage vibe to vocals on some demo stuff.
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

I recently recorded acoustic guitar and voice using an Avantone CK-6 large diaphram condenser mic. $180 and worth every penny. With a 10db pad on it it'll do amps, too, and sounds OK there also.

I've got a Shiny Box ribbon and although I'm no expert, that wouldn't be my first choice for acoustic guitar unless I was aiming for dark tone. Works great for me on my steel amp, though, and did great on fiddle and dobro for me.

IMO, an SM57 or 58 dynamic mic would not be my first choice for the work you want to do, Andy. I own a half dozen 57s but I use them on my drums.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I use a Cad GXL3000 for my main mic for vocals. It's a large diaphram condenser. It is very sensitve and does pick extra noise from time to time (depending on if the landscapers are leaf blowing, or the neighbors slamming doors - I live in an apartment. During mixdown, I just have the vocal track(s) turned off until they are playing back recorded sound. Stops any noise (like clearing my throat, nose sniffles, etc) form making it onto the final mix. For amp micing, I like my Shure KSM109 small diaphram condenser, or a Shure SM58.

But I am not doing serious, doin' it for money recording.