Begineer's Guide to Mastering the E9th Pedal Steel Guitar

CDs, LPs, tapes, videos, tab, instruction, software
Patricia Warnock

Begineer's Guide to Mastering the E9th Pedal Steel Guitar

Post by Patricia Warnock »

Mickey Adams and I are very excited to announce --- the book is finished!!!

"Mickey Adams Begineer's Guide to Mastering the E9th Pedal Steel Guitar" is finished and has gone to the printer.
I've attached the Table of Contents...just to give you a little taste of what's to come.

If you are on the pre-buy list you will be notified very shortly with instruction on how to send payment and when to expect delivery.
We'll share this info on the forum as well.
If you would like to be on the list email Mickey with your contact info.

Stay tuned - You'll be hearing from Mickey very soon.

Thanks, again
Patricia

Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

This is great news! :D
Daniel Eaton

Mickeys copendent

Post by Daniel Eaton »

Just got my sho-bud back from Dr. Cass with a brand new cope. Sure hope it's the same
Sho-Bud D10 With 8 & 4
Peavey Reno
John Fox

What about the DVD?

Post by John Fox »

Dear Patricia,

I understood from the thread in the Events section that this book includes a DVD. Would you care to list some of the offerings from that, please? It would be great to learn about specific tunes Mickey addresses, and I can hardly wait to read and see him in action again.

I have a few more questions, if you don't mind. I see this book/DVD as a major investment of your energies, and also of my dollars, and I think we should all learn enough about it to make good decisions. So far, your table of contents looks quite promising. I certainly want a copy!

As an instructional designer myself, I'd like to know about the objectives behind the instruction, not including selling large numbers of copies. Your desire to impart a particular approach to pedal steel playing is what I'm asking here. What kind of student do you expect to teach? Do you use your own and Mickey's progress in learning as models for what your students will attempt?

It seems to me that many PSG people play other instruments before PSG, and many know guitar tablature to a degree, but your table of contents seems to stress music theory, especially scales and chords. Good rudiments, but many prefer to avoid laborious, close analysis... "I'd rather play than talk about it" is a common attitude, with some exceptions (pace Mr. B. Hankey). Do you want to focus on music theory for PSG rather than on a range of tunes in strict arrangements, so that students will be able to hear chord progressions and have a suitable "bag of tricks" and licks for improvisation?

How will you know if your book is successful? Will you seek comments from experts and beginners?

I hope you don't mind if I ask what skills and tasks you consider to be beyond beginner skills, or what milestones you may see for one's reaching the novice or advanced beginner stage. For example, do you discuss the points at which a PSG student should try to play with recorded tracks or on a bandstand with other musicians? Perhaps such skills are beyond the scope of the current effort, but they might be good for ensuing work. Related to this angle is the question of what sort of pacing or schedule you think a beginner might achieve in order to "complete" study of these beginner materials. Maybe an Afterword could address the path beyond this book, in a second edition. I'm confident Forum members would contribute to your thinking.

I surmise that sight-reading of standard music notation is not a skill you introduce in the book, but I'd like to know if your tablature includes a standard staff, as that assists in indicating rhythms.

Are you, Patricia, a co-author of this work, and do you play in the videos? It looks like your E9th chord chart is included, and I've benefited from it, but do you cover other topics? I hope you and Mickey have collaborated on most tiopcs, because your writing and his videos both bring clarity. In a lot of curriculum development, two heads are better than one.

Is there a set of rhythm tracks that might come with the package on CD or as either BIAB or .mp3 files?

Does the book or DVD discuss types of guitars, strings, picks, amps, effects, and so on? Is Mickey going to use his Mullen D-10 or his new D-12?

What's next? An advanced beginner book? C6th instruction? Responses to your customers? I suspect you could both work on this pretty much full time, and I hope I appreciate how much you have both done for steelers already. I guess a lot of others would agree. There are probably many who will think I asked too many questions, but I am a real fan and soon a student (waiting to send a check). Feel free to not answer or to answer. I wish you every success, and I hope I can offer a small contribution, even if it's only moral support. :D

Very respectfully,
John
Patricia Warnock

Reply to John

Well, John, you certainly did ask questions, lol.
Some I will touch on only briefly because the answers can be found in the material itself.
Others I will answer to the best of my ability.
The rest I will have to pass on to Mickey.

The Beginner's Course does include a DVD is which Mickey demonstrates the exercises in the book.
It will also include internet support via Youtube where Mickey will answer any questions from players regarding the course material.
We have also discussed bonus material which will be in addition to the book/dvd & internet support.
More information on this to follow the official release notification.

As for instructing, this course is designed to follow Mickey's instructional method.

For me, it is important to go beyond being able to memorize and repeat tab for specific arrangements.
In my opinion, that will not give me a real understanding of the instrument or music.
Again, for me, I need and want to really KNOW my guitar.
How and why it plays...not just what it can sound like.
It's exactly like you said -- that understanding fosters the ability to "hear" what's being played and especially to improvise. This is mentioned several times in the book.

Mickey is very much about providing the steel player with the foundation he (or she) needs to really know the steel guitar. He talks about his approach more in the book.
It's more than being able to play this one piece of tab or that one piece of tab. It's about being able to play - period.

Again, from my perspective the theory, scales and chords are an important part of building a real concrete foundation for understanding how the steel guitar works. I have come to realize not every player finds this as important as I do.
But for those that do, this book will give you a lot of information.
But, presented in a clear and simple format you will be comfortable with if you've already seen my chart.

As for the success of the book...if the forum and youtube are any indication I'm sure Mickey and I will hear all about it.

As for skills and tasks beyond the beginner, or milestones for advancement, that I will also leave to Mickey. I am only a beginner myself. I need a lot more time, practice and study before I surpass that stage. This I know for sure.

I've heard it is very important to play with music each time you practice if you really want to progress. I have not done this enough. But, when I do I feel that I make much more progress and so personally I have been doing this every time I sit at the guitar lately. Not the entire time I play, but at least part of it.

The book does not include standard music notation.
The subject is briefly addressed in the course.
Rhythm will be demonstrated by example in the DVD instruction.

I do not play in the videos (trust me, you will all thank me for that, lol). My E9th Chord Chart has been modified and updated to include additional reference material from Mickey's course. Mickey and I had several opportunities to collaborate on the presentation of the material throughout the development of the instruction book.

The package will not include rhythm tracks.

Regarding discussion about equipment and which guitar Mickey has played on the DVD, I will have to defer to him for further infomration.

As for what's next...we are so excited to have achieved this milestone. It took a lot of time and effort. Mickey and I have discussed next steps but you will have to stay tuned for more information...

Thanks, again, John for your interest, enthusiasm and support. We appreciate it very much.

All the best,
Patricia
John Fox

Thanks

Post by John Fox »

Dear Patricia,

Thanks for your thoughtful and lengthy reply. You covered a great deal clearly, and I look forward to hearing more about Mickey's style of instruction, besides his YouTube catalog. I bet it was very helpful to have you involved, since as a beginner you could test the difficulty/adequacy and sequencing of topics. Instructors sometimes forget how hard things can be, since they have it ingrained in their ears and fingers, while a student sometimes is overwhelmed with unfamiliar, although fundamental, topics. My instructor amazes me with his facility, but I'm beginning to piece things together, with his help.

It appears that you have achieved something new and different in your collaborative book/DVD/Internet/Bonus support - a comprehensive package. Congratulations! I think there is great potential here, and I look forward to sending an order.

I might even talk to my teacher and see if he wants to get one. I hope you will have some advice and discussion for teachers too. I don't know if there is a standard book that most teachers use, although I have found DeWitt Scott's "Deluxe PSG Method" (Mel Bay) to be superb. Winnie Winston's book is also great, but he starts off a bit high for a beginner, as he wrote in an essay still available on his website.

The approach you outline seems to be intended for an adult who wants to play in a band, and who has some musical knowledge, and a good measure of musical ambition. I daresay that the price will serve to select those who know something about pedal steel. This approach is fitting for an instruments that demands commitment and which is so captivating.

With "Intros/Licks/Fills" as your last chapter, I think you go a long way toward getting beyond the beginner level. A student can learn to hear and analyze song structure, and then step on to playing fitting material or composing a solo, with these skills as a basis. (I still hope for a few more hints on specific songs/licks/etc.)

Great response, and I am grateful. So here's another question, and it's not personal as if I expect a definitive answer. Your have graciously answered so much!

OK... Have you considered recommending other materials for the beginner, from other authors? And for more advanced levels... Some kind of reference list would be really good, but this may be a task for later. The British, Canadian, and Australian public school system of music eduction has, I believe, 6 levels, with rubrics for judging proficiency in class or recital, and lists of other materials and compositions that fit each level.

I only ask all this because I am a teacher, and have taught music too (not PSG). I hope all teachers consider what I'm driving at, which is ensuring students get the best instruction to put them, well equipped with knowledge, skills, and ability, on the road to discovery of creativity and beauty. I am confident that you and Mickey care about this mission deeply. Thanks again.

Very respectfully,
John
Brian Kurlychek

Post by Brian Kurlychek »

John,

Mickey is not in this for the money, I can assure you that. But pay no attention to me, for I am posting drunk.
We live to play another day.
Jim Driskell

Post by Jim Driskell »

Hello Patricia: I'm a beginner. You are putting out a book for beginners. Sometimes the world works out just right. Can you tell me the specifics of ordering? Thanks, Jim
Donny Dennis

Post by Donny Dennis »

Mickey added me to his list in Dallas this year but so far I have not received an e-mail from him.

Just wondering if I may have missed his e-mail somehow.

Donny
Mickey Adams

Books

Post by Mickey Adams »

Donny Dennis...Your book is On the Way!
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Patricia Warnock

How to Order

For the follower's of this thread, I thought I would copy the details on how to get Mickey's course material.
The Instruction Course is completed and now for sale.
The cost of the book/DVD course is $100. Shipping is included.
Mickey is accepting 3 forms of payment at this time. Money Order, Cashiers Check, and Paypal. Paypal users price is $105.00.
Paypal account: jetdrivr@tx.rr.com
You can send payment to:
Michael Adams
4347 Allegro Lane
Grand Prairie TX 75052

Please make checks payable to Michael Adams
In most instances books will ship within 1 week, but please allow 3 weeks for delivery.
Make sure that you include your COMPLETE Address!

Thank you for your interest and your support.
All the best!
Patricia
John Sheffey

paypal acct.

Post by John Sheffey »

I sent paypal for the instructions to jetdriver if this is wrong and you did not receive payment let me know and I will correct
Total Novice Player
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

John
Look at the post above yours.
There is no E in driver.
Don
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Bump :D
Twang to the bone!
Bill Carpenter

book

Post by Bill Carpenter »

Got mine the other day and it is great. Tons of information.
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Bumpers :)
Twang to the bone!
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

I put my name on the list way back when this was first announced, but haven't heard from Mickey? Do I just go ahead and send him $100.00 to His Texas address? Larry
Eric Dunlop

Post by Eric Dunlop »

I have just sent off my payment via PayPal.
I have been waiting for such a publication as this to enable me to move on.

I am a beginner on the PSG, having played non pedal for a couple of years using a Fender Stringmaster.

Looking at the proposed layout of the "Guide" I can see that it will provide for me a good foundation to build upon.
Up to the present I have just been learning "Tab" and playing by memory, good as far as it goes, but with the knowledge of scale and chord formation at my disposal I can look forward to some structured practice and inprovisation.

By the way, I too did mess up on the email address when I first sent payment, not to be concerned there is an easy "Cancel Payment" system to enable the correct information to be re entered.
Good Luck with the publishing.
Patricia Warnock

Available at the Branson Show

Mickey will have his course available for sale at the Branson show this weekend, if you are planning on attending.

Hope to see you there.
Patricia
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

:D Bumpitty Bump :D
This is a very good course to learn the WHY as well as the how.
Twang to the bone!