"Footprints" and/or "So What"

Q&A about PGMusic's popular accompaniment software

Moderator: David Collins

Steve Hitsman

"Footprints" and/or "So What"

Post by Steve Hitsman »

This is probably a BIAB 101 question and I may be missing an obvious solution but could somebody tell me how to program a bass intro to my backing tracks ala these two tunes?
John McGlothlin

Post by John McGlothlin »

Steve I am new at BAIB but I have experimanted a little on this kind of thing. Just right click on a chord and go down to chord settings and click that, the chord options box will open and you will see that chord in the window, you put a period next to the chord then go over to the right of the window and click on rest only and then click on all instruments but,then just click on all of the instruments but the bass and go from there but remember to set the number of bars that you want it for.
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

I think it would be easiest to click on 'Intro', then mute all tracks except bass. If you don't like what it generates put in the chords you want, and regenerate until you like it, or insert your own notes.
Robert Tripp

Post by Robert Tripp »

I think Howard has the easiest solution.
http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippmusic

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.
Jerry Gleason

Post by Jerry Gleason »

For songs like "Footprints" or "So What" where the bass plays a specific melodic figure, you could put the notes in manually in the notation editor, or record them in real time from a MIDI keyboard or guitar.

There is a "Notation" button that gets you into the notation editor, and from there another button, the "B" button, shows you the bass track. "N" toggles the display to an editable grid.

It's somewhat awkward compared to other audio / MIDI recording and editing software.
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

Alright, I'm able to enter the bass figure but when I attempt to play it back, it disappears. What am I doing wrong?
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Sounds like my bass player: whenever we're ready to play, he has disappeared... ;)
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

You're always so helpful.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Steve,

I'n not familar with either of those tunes, but I can tell you how to solo the bass. On the bars you want bass only on, enter the chord, followed by a period, followed by "b". Example: "C.b" :)
Colin Goss

Bass notes

Post by Colin Goss »

If you use the bass in BIAB it will always recreate the bass notes according to the style chosen. The only way (other than going to Power tracks - or possibly Realband) would be to mute the bass. Then using the melody or soloist tracks create the bass line you want and set the instrument on that track to bass.

Hope that helps