I-35 road trip...looking for bands to watch or sit in with

Musicians wanted for bands or recording projects

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bronson Bergeson

I-35 road trip...looking for bands to watch or sit in with

Post by Bronson Bergeson »

I'm heading out on a I-35 road trip from Minnesota to San Antonio from around July 12/13-25 and am looking for some cool things to do along the way like county fairs, town fairs and festivals that might have a good band to WATCH or might need a guitar player/steel player wannabe to fill in or sit in and jam with. Aiming for things within less than an hour of 35 and GOOD (Waylon, Johnny, Don, Buck) country music. Also, any other sites, sounds, eats, to check out along the way. Much thanks in advance!
Bronson
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

Our band,Billy Mata & The Texas Tradition. www.Billymata.com will be playing at
Anhalt Hall( www.anhalthall.com ) on 07/25/09. We play Western Swing and Texas Dancehall Music. You can take the kids, Grandma and everyone has a good time. It was built sometime in the late 1800's. If your still here come on by. It's close to San Antonio and less than an hour from IH35.

If you want a good place to eat almost any Mexican restaurant in San Antonio is good.

You don't want to miss the town of Gruene near new Braunfels, Tx.
Gruene Hall ( http://www.gruenehall.com/has live music. The town is neat if you want to just walk around and see the area.
The Grist Mill( www.gristmillrestaurant.com ) is a cool place to eat. If your into tubing you can rent tubes right there on the River. http://www.rockinr.com )

Hope this helps.

Roger
Bronson Bergeson

Thanks Roger, I'll be sure to stop out if we're still in town. And thanks for the sites tips. I thought there'd be more people like yourself with shows out there...I guess maybe I should've posted in the EVENTS section.
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

I hardly ever look at this area. i just happened on it.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Well if you were in Fort Worth on July 11th you could stop by the Worlds Largest Honky Tonk better known as Billy Bob's and see me.

After that,there probably wouldn't be a whole lot left to see but try to enjoy yourself while your here.

Come on by!

P.S. If you do happen to come,tell the Box Office girls that the steel player invited you and they probably won't charge you to get in.

Here's a link to our website and live cut of us at Billy Bob's several months back.

http://www.myspace.com/nilescity
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

Holy Moly Dick, that is a scary looking bunch of guys. Too funny. I didn't know that's who made up Niles City. Tell the boys hi for me. Bet there's some great music happenin with y'all !!!!!
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Dick sounds like y'all have a lot of fun....by the way where did you find the "Country Sisters" Youtube...man what a bunch pretty ladies, but I'd just bet you'd have to go three rounds with their mom the bass player to even get close and she looks a little rough around the edges.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

You'll be going through Austin so Ricky Davis, Herb Steiner, Neil Flanz and some of the other fine area steelers should be playing someplace in town.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Hey Danny,

Yep that bunch is so rough I have to carry my Taser all the time.

If that ain't bad enough,we just hired Dusty Moats to front the band so I may need to call for backup.

Mark,

I think they found that video just to tick me off. I hate Orange Blossom Special with a purple passion and they know it.

I gotta go check the batteries on my Taser.

Later...
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

Big Ugly?? Oh man, you ain't got enough juice in one taser. It'll take a few of them.. Tell him hi.. I'll have to catch y'all next time I'm in town, next month.
John Fabian

Post by John Fabian »

Don't forget to visit Lockhart, the Barbeque Capital of Texas.

http://www.lockhart-tx.org/web98/visito ... ftexas.asp
Jon Jaffe

Post by Jon Jaffe »

I will be playing with The Stepsiders at Cedar Hall in Lockhart on the 18th. Have some barbecue and then come dance.
Darryl Logue

Post by Darryl Logue »

K.C Mo. every tues. Rex Hobart and the Honky Tonk Standards 39 and S.W. Blvd. 7:30 to 9:30. I just got home. We always welcome sit ins. bring your own picks.
Pat Irvin

More to do in KC

Post by Pat Irvin »

Like Darryl said Tuesday Nights @ Record Bar w/ Rex Hobart & The Honky Tonk Standards is a must in KC. If you hang around until Wednesday you can catch our gig at Harry's Country Club in Downtown KC w/ Russ Wever on Steel. Or if you are coming back through KC on July 24th we will be opening for Ray Price @ Knuckleheads.

I'd also suggest stopping in KC for some BBQ. Jack's Stack, Oklahoma Joe's, LC's, Arthur Bryant's, Gates, etc..........
2003 Zum D-10 8x5, Late 60's Fender 400 8x0, 1954 Fender Custom T-8, 1968 Fender Telecaster, Peavey Nashville 1000, Session 500, Session 400, PodXT
Bronson Bergeson

Thanks everybody, keep 'em coming! We'll definitely be going through KC and I'll schedule for a Tue. or Wed. I know it's a longshot but if anybody's heading through Western Wisconsin anytime (anywhere near Eau Claire) let me know. We've got a few gigs over the summer and would love to have a "real" steeler sit in.
Colm Chomicky

Post by Colm Chomicky »

What Tater and Darryl said. Since I-35 goes right through the heart of Kansas City, their gigs are just right off the highway. Depending on when you are coming through there are other days besides the Tues and Wednesday. Let us know when you are passing through for the latest updates.
Wayne Morton

Post by Wayne Morton »

If you like the heat, the group I'm working with right now is playing the Pauls Valley, Okla. Rodeo, July 25, 26, & 27th. We start at 7:oo and play 30 min. and every time they drag the grounds and then we close the show about 10:00 to 10:30. Come see me.
Wayne
Bronson Bergeson

Thanks again everybody. Looks like we're heading out Wednesday looking to get to Luckenbach to catch Billy Joe by Friday and should be stopping in KC on the way back to check out Rex and/or Pat on Tuesday and Wednesday. Still would like to find a gig/show to play/watch in San Antonio for the 18th.
Shaan Shirazi

Post by Shaan Shirazi »

It won't get any better than this for the 18th in near San Antonio

Bobby Flores and The Yellow Rose Band at Leon Springs Dance Hall

24135 IH-10 West
San Antonio, Texas 78257

8:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m.

www.leonspringsdancehall.com