North Carolina Steelers

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gordy Rex

North Carolina Steelers

Post by Gordy Rex »

Just moved into the Greensboro area from Pa. I would like to find some local players, make some friends and hear some pickin'. :)
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Hey Gordy,
Welcome to North Carolina! I live in the town of Lenoir, about sixty miles to the west of Greensboro.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Gordy Rex

Post by Gordy Rex »

Bill,

Thanks, for saying hi... Do you play live if so let me know if you get over this so I can hear ya...

Gordy
Bob Baringer

Post by Bob Baringer »

Hey Gordy, now why did you go and move, if it keeps going we will run short of Steel Pickers here in Northeast Pa. Good Luck on your move and I know you will be out pickin' pretty quick...Bob
Nathan Golub

Post by Nathan Golub »

Hey Gordy, welcome to NC. The Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area has lots of great music & some great steel players. Check out the Berkley Cafe & the Pour House in Raleigh, they both get a lot of great roots/country bands in the No Depression category. Also, the Cats Cradle in Chapel Hill always has good shows. I play pedal steel in a band called John Howie Jr & the Rosewood Bluff. If you catch a show, please say hi.
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Hi Gordy,

Welcome to the Tarheel State!

I play at Mayodan United Methodist Church every Sunday morning at the 8:30 am Service.

Mayodan is about 20 miles north of G'boro, just off Highway 220. Would love to meet you.
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Gordy Rex

Post by Gordy Rex »

Hey guys this is great. Please keep the information coming and thanks for helping to make this transition easier. All the great things I've been hearing about the area is starting to show. I will definitely be getting out asap to see and hear. I don't want to take away any work from anyone, but it somebody out there needs a fill in. I would be glad to help out.... Also I will be looking to find a home for me and my family over the next few months. Any insight as to county, city or development area would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks folks

Gordy :D
Gordy Rex

Post by Gordy Rex »

Bobby B.

Thanks for posting. I'm am gonna miss home since I lived there all my life, but we all have to work and this is where life is taking me now. I haven't told too many folks up north yet that I moved so if my name comes up any time pass on the info. Do you know if Skip Mertz is still in Fayetteville area? Haven't heard him play for many years. Keep in touch..
Gordy
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

He Gordy, t prior here in Charlotte, come on down and say hi !

Joe Smith is here as well, David Mullis is right over the border in Rock Hill, Brian Hudson is also in Rock Hill, Buster Warren is here in Charlotte too.

There a whole bunch of us within striking distance.
welcome to NC

tp
Last edited by Tony Prior on 12 Jun 2009 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky Hagan

Post by Ricky Hagan »

Hi Gordy,
Glad to have you here in NC.There's a lot of steel players in NC.Here's some that I know.
Clyde Mattocks (Kinston)
Bowie Martin (Wilson)
Ray Walker (Smithfeid)He makes the great seats
Bryant Aycock (Fremont)
Glen Lanning (Legrange)
Allen Love (Raleigh)
Danny Blizzard (Castaia)
Larry Hyde (Nashville)
I consider all these guys great friends and great players.I play for the Oak Grove Boys out of Elm City NC.www.oakgroveboys.com.If I can help you meet anybody feel free to call me at 252 205 6039
Keith Poteat

Post by Keith Poteat »

Gordy, Glad to have you here in good ol' NC. My wife works in Greensboro. We moved up here to Trinity after I retired to get her closer to work. Greensboro is about 20 minutes from here and will be closer once they finish the 311 By-Pass. Trinity is a nice mostly rural area. I've seen quite a few houses for sale. Give me a holler if I can help. Keith kp1@triad.rr.com 336=474-6770
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

Gordy - yes, Skip is still in Fayetteville - he is running a really high end hobby shop off I-95. i talked with him yesterday - he is working 7 days a week, i dont know how he does it - but when you find something you enjoy, the energy just comes - his shop phone is 910-480-1234 - drop him a line, i'm sure he'd like to hear from some PA natives.
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Bowie Martin

Welcome!!

Post by Bowie Martin »

Gordy, welcome! I plan with Nancy & Tammy Dail and the Country Roads Band (www.thecountryroadsband.com); plus I run the Country Tonight Show at the Ice House Theatre, in Selma (on Hwy 95); the show runs each Friday night and we use six different bands; house rule: band must have a steel player! Clyde Mattocks plays with "Without Further Ado" and the Malpass Brothers, Bryant Aycock with Eric Strickland and the Nashville Rash (they are playing the show tonight!), Tim Tyner with "Southern Storm". Joe Wright will be doing a show at the theatre on Sunday, July 12. Check out the website: www.countrytonightmusicshow.com.

Let me know if you are ever over this way (Wilson, Selma, etc.)
Emmons LeGrande II D-10, Emmons LeGrande III D-10, Emmons LeGrande III S10, Boss Katana 100, Boss Katana 50, Nashville 112
Peavey PX's Speakers, with Profex II, Nashville 1000,
Gordy Rex

Post by Gordy Rex »

Guys,

Thanks again all of you for the responses. It looks like I will have plenty of places to go for a while as soon as things slow down a little at work and I get settled in my apartment.... My job is in service and this time a year we are extremely busy, 10 hours days and 6 days a week, hopefully we'll slow down soon. Also sounds like making friends will be easy. Isn't this forum great, it sure make the world smaller....
Gordy

PS. I think I heard of the Ice House before just can't remember where or when sounds like my kind of place.
Alan Harrison

Leonard Neatherton

Post by Alan Harrison »

Do any of you know or have heard of Leonard Neatherton, (the spelling of his last name may be wrong). I think he was from the Ashville area. When I knew him in the mid 80's, he was playing in Hickory at a big BBQ and Dance Hall up on the hill by the airport. Good player and at that time was playing a Franklin....alan
Mullen (Black) Pre G-2 9x7, B.L. 705 PUP's, Evans SE 200 Telonics NEO 15-4, BJS Bar, Peterson Strobo Flip, Steelers Choice Seat, Folgers Coffee and Hilton Pedals.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
Glen E. Lanning

Post by Glen E. Lanning »

Check out MASGA (Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association). www.masga.org
Our next jam will be in Thomasville, NC on August 8th with Bobbe Seymour and our own Joe Turner. We always have some exceptional steel players jamming.
Past Secretary/President, MASGA
Mullen U12 (2004)
ShoBud Professional (1970)D10 8/4
Peavey Session 400 Limited/Nashville 1000/Zoom RFX-2000/Peavey EQ-215 Equalizer/Nashville 112
Stan Knowles NC

Post by Stan Knowles NC »

HI GORDY...AND WELCOME TO NORTH CAROLINA!

I LIVE DOWN HERE ON THE NORTH CAROLINA COAST
IN WILMINGTON.....AND SO DOES MY FRIEND,
WAYNE MIDGET.

WE'RE GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE IN THE "TAR HEEL"
STATE!
Emmons Legrand II D10 - Gretsch White Falcon stereo - Peavy NSVL. 1000 - Peavy Stereo Chorus 400
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

Gordy, I live right next door in Winston-Salem. Burlington, home of the Emmons guitar, is just east of you. I worked there for 12 years. There is another player/builder in Gboro, Doug Palmer. I play several times a month at a family oriented dance hall in King, NC, Turner's Opry House.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Hi Alan,
The BBQ place you are talking about, Clemment Center, is now a church. Mr. Clemment, who was a pedal steel picker, died several years ago. Jeff Newman used to come there in the eighties and give classes for Mr. Clemment. I am from Hickory, NC.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Alan Harrison

C 1 Clemment Center

Post by Alan Harrison »

Thanks Bill, I worked for Mr. Clemment for about six months at the center as Media Manager. We Called Him C One. Good old boy. Thats where I met Len. I think it was around 1985.
Mullen (Black) Pre G-2 9x7, B.L. 705 PUP's, Evans SE 200 Telonics NEO 15-4, BJS Bar, Peterson Strobo Flip, Steelers Choice Seat, Folgers Coffee and Hilton Pedals.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
Chuck Snider

Post by Chuck Snider »

Hi Gordy, welcome to NC. Although this is a little different than steel music, you might want to check it out to make a few connections and also might enjoy the music. In Greensboro there is the High Lonesome Strings Bluegrass Association, you might Google that and track them down. I know about the organization, but not any details on contacting them. They have gatherings of various sorts somewhat often. I know one guy from it named Ed Sullivan who is a fairly active member, and if you're interested in contacting him if you send me a PM or email I'll share that with you.

I live near Roxboro, which is about 25 miles straight north of Durham. From Greenboro about 50 miles if you take the Haw River exit from I85 and follow RT 49 to Roxboro. I would recommend connecting with the MASGA bunch that Glen Lanning mentioned earlier. Lot of great guys in that organization. There are a number of steelers around Greensboro and up towards Reidsville. Of those that responded here I know Glen now thru MASGA and Nathan I met after seeing his name mentioned in an article in a local paper called The Independent which cover local entertainment in the Durham/Chapel Hill areas.

I've only been at this since last July, so still pretty much a newbie. However, if you ever want somewhere to go, feel free to stop over for a visit/jam i'm only about an hour or so away from you.

See ya around,

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Gordy Rex

Post by Gordy Rex »

Guys even more good stuff thanks....
Mr Strayhorn I certainly heard your name before, I am still an Emmons man....
Gordy
Gordy Rex

Post by Gordy Rex »

Looks like work might slow down soon and I should be able
To get out and find some of guys. Any fairs or outside gigs
coming up in the next few months?
Doug Palmer

Gso

Post by Doug Palmer »

Gordy, welcome to G'boro. I live here. Give me a call and we'll do lunch sometime. There is right much work around here and I can get you some phone numbers. Do you play an Emmons? Try to come to the Thomasville show in a few weeks. Directions on the Forum Events.

Doug Palmer 336-674-8200
Emmons D-10, ST-10,LD-10 III, NV-112,Fender Deluxe Reverb. Authorized wholesale dealer musicorp.com!
Ken Prutzman

Post by Ken Prutzman »

Wow looks like I'll have a longer drive for lessons

Gordy keep in touch. Send me an Email

Kenny