Getting started north of Boston

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian Kurlychek

Post by Brian Kurlychek »

Well, all pretty good advice here Michael. Looks like you are well on your way.
We live to play another day.
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

I'm not your guy for pedal steel but, for people, who want to learn lap steel (or not use the pedals;)and specifically think outside the cliche box like doing jazz / gypsy jazz, tango, classical, flamenco and other eclectic styles. i do teach and also do workshops. A lot of what i teach transcends the instrument itself.
Jamie Peghiny

Post by Jamie Peghiny »

Wow, I didn't know there were so many of us from Massachusetts.
Nice looking Collings! I bought my Martin DC-28 at the Music Emporium in 1980 when they were still in Porter Square Cambridge.
I'm looking for a group to play with. I'd probably end up playing bass because that's my most versatile instrument, but I can play guitar and steel too...
Drop me an email if you know of a group with a vacancy.
Thanks! Jamie
Carter U -12, Fender Pro Duo, Martin DC28, Gibson ES175, G&L L-2000 bass, PRS Bass, Fender Vibrolux, Selmer Tenor, Buescher Alto, Conn Alto
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

As mentioned earlier, Jerry Fessenden builds wonderful guitars and it would not hurt to have the builder in your extended neighborhood...

My family moved from Texas to Boston in my senior year of high school and that is where I learned to play. In the early 70's, there were very few players around up there, and you now seem to have more opportunities these days. Tommy Cass, also mentioned above, got me going and through that rough first beginning year, and is also one to keep your guitar running right, no matter what the brand. If nothing else, Jerry and Tommy will keep you entertained :).
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
Daniel Eaton

Post by Daniel Eaton »

Another steel teacher out of southern New Hampshire that gives lessons out of 'Guitar Universe" in Amherst NH is Steve Latacaster. As soon as our Prez.gets every one as poor as I am, I'll be back to see Steve again.
Sho-Bud D10 With 8 & 4
Peavey Reno