How many working Alabama Steel Players

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Walker

How many working Alabama Steel Players

Post by Jim Walker »

I've been wondering for quite a while, just how many current Alabama resident Steel Players there are playing in bands regularly for compensation? There are only two in my region that I know of. Scottie Ward and myself.

Speak up if yer a werkin' Bammy steel pikker.

JW
Show Pro D10, Session 400
George Rozak

Post by George Rozak »

Jim...

Have you ever run into, or are you maybe related to, a steel picker from Alabama by the name of Denton Walker? He used to live up here in this neck of the woods, but moved back down to Alabama many moons ago. Don't know if he's still down there any more though. Last I knew he was a full time steeler.

George
Sho-Bud: Professional & Fingertip
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

I work as MUCH as I can,but NOT as much as I would Like,With the Strokin' Dixie Band.I'm from the old school,[maybe that's why I'm an old fool] Remember when it was normal to work six,sometimes seven nights a week,Now it's good to work one or two nights a week. DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

Play for a really talented 13 year old: Ashleigh Marie

http://www.ashleighsmusic.com/

We do not always get paid, but she is great to work with.

Saturday nights: Scottsboro, Friendship Lodge, 8 to midnight. We get paid.
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Never heard of him George.

JW
Show Pro D10, Session 400
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

Jim, I'm not from Ala but real close. I do play a lot in Ala, hello Charlie, come see us
Michael Matthews

scottsboro al

Post by Michael Matthews »

hey frank who do you play for in scottsboro, does gary shavers play in your band, would like to come hear you sometimes, i'm just learning to play myself, ain't got paid yet working my way up the ladder if you know what I mean...
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

No, Shavers is not at this one. It is Cary Patton who sounds a lot like Paycheck and real good female singer named Margie who sounds a lot like Connie Smith. Patton plays bass and sings. Wonnie Loudermilk plays lead guitar. He is quite a player.
Charles Davidson

Hey Shorty,You are close enough,just swim across the river,We will count you as an Alabama Picker,Alabama has a history of putting out some pretty good pickers,Like Mr. Helms,Jimmy Day,and the GREAT Curly. DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Ernest Cawby

Jim

Post by Ernest Cawby »

How about a Montgomery boy in north Fl.?????

ern
Charles Davidson

Ernest,that will work buddy,once an Alabama Boy,always one. DYK?BC.
Quesney Gibbs

Alabama Players

Post by Quesney Gibbs »

I do play when I can but gigs around here are few and far between and usually it's with someone who needs to be arrested for owning a musical instrument.

Ques
Bill Cook

Alabama Players

Post by Bill Cook »

Don Lynch, now retired from regular job is playing regular now. He backed up almost everyone at the annual Hank Williams Festival last weekend. All his weekends are booked for the next few months.He is playing better than he ever has. If you get opportunity don't miss it. He is a picker!!
Tom Stolaski

Post by Tom Stolaski »

I have been working with The Whiskey River Band around the Tuscaloosa area. There seems to be plenty of college students that like the country music of today. There is not a lot of country bands in the area, but there is good money for the ones that like to play to the college crowd. I am surprised to see college kids enjoying the pedal steel guitar, even if it is a really old guy up there playing.
Charles Davidson

Bill,I met Don at a picking one time,spent a few hours shooting the bull with him,A WONDERFUL GUY !!,Such an upbeat guy,Has a great BIG SMILE ALL THE TIME, Is he a member of the forum,don't remember ever seeing him post. DYK?BC.
Bill Cook

Don Lynch

Post by Bill Cook »

Don doesn't have computer. A lot of people call him smiling Don or Uncle Don. A great picker!!!!!
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

Bill, Don is a great picker and a great guy to, I enjoy his company and his picking, Shorty
Charles Davidson

Hi Shorty,remember you were there that day I met Don,both of you did some mighty fine picking that day. DYK?BC.
Mickey Adams

I Be's

Post by Mickey Adams »

I be a Bama boy and Im working!!!!!.....Yo! Big Jim!...Mick
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Katie Smith

Post by Katie Smith »

Bobby Street is staying busy with Charles Markham and the BONAFIDE band. They play Huntsville and Decatur on a regular basis, with shows at PJ's here in Muscle Shoals about once a month. Also have shows booked in Guntersville and Rainbow City.

myspace.com/rockinbonafide Think that is their website, apologize if it isn't..