Hummingbird Music's Celebration 2004

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Mike Meese

Hummingbird Music's Celebration 2004

Post by Mike Meese »

The show in New Philadelphia Ohio this past weekend was outstanding and I was honored to be a part of it all.
Some of my favorite moments from the show include:

Rick Troyer's beautiful rendition of "I'd Rather Have Jesus" on Saturday morning had every bit as much emotion as that felt in Don Helms's playing and the shiver down the back of the neck that Rick spoke of during John Hughey's set was present when Rick was playing also.
Dave Decker's "Nameless Shuffle" was probably one of the prettiest songs I heard all weekend. As close to the Big E as I've ever heard.
The Curtis Brothers rocked and Jerry Brightman is the perfect fit for their tight band. I particularly enjoyed the old Buck Owens songs.
Don Helms was simply magical, espescially when young Donny Boggs got up and sang. What Donny lacks in sight he sure makes up for with his vocal talent and then some.
David Spires does a remarkable version of the tune "Georgia" and I hope he includes it on his next CD project.
John Hughey on stage at any time is a special moment. The same can be said for Doug Jernigan, Herby Wallace, Scotty, Sonny Curtis, Mike Sigler, David Spires etc. All the players were quite remarkable.

Rick Troyer deserves a big <bold>THANK YOU</bold> for a top-notch show.

Sonny Curtis

Post by Sonny Curtis »

It was truly a great show. All of the players were excellant. I had a young man by the name of Donnie Boggs sing a couple of George Jones songs on my set and he did a great job. On Sunday we were blessed with a couple of songs by my sweet wife, Barbara during my Sunday set. Of course it was great to visit with our friends Don and Hazel Helms. It's always a pleasure to spend time with them. They are the real deal. Rick did a fantasic job of organizing the event as well as doing the MC work. All of his staff were kind and couldn't do enough to help us in any way. I'm looking forward to 2006 for the next show, in the meantime, I plan to attend a couple of Rick's "Jam sessions". I think they will start again in September. Barbara and I want to thank everyone connected with the show for making it a pleasure to play. By the way Mike, I was really impressed with your set.

www.sonnycurtis.net <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Sonny Curtis on 26 April 2004 at 01:58 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Ashton

Post by Jim Ashton »

Thanks for a wonderful time to all the players and all the red shirts and all the hospitality that was shown to me. Also I was witness to something very special. When Donnie Boggs sang with Sonny and Don, each time I had tears in my eyes. It was a very special moment. Brought back lots of memories. Thanks again to all.And
very special thanks to Rick Troyer. Jim A

David Decker

Post by David Decker »

I'd like to say I'm very proud to be a part of such a Magical weekend. As a staff member and a player "Thanks Rick".
Like Mike Meese said, Don Helms was magical,emotions were very high! I've seen all these players many times. Herby Wallace,John Hughey,David Spires,Jerry Brightman,Mike Sigler,Don Helms,Dewitt "Scotty" Scott and Sonny Curtis, but they all played the best I'd ever heard them play. It truly was a Magical weekend that I'll never forget.
I'd like to add that all the other player's on the show did great too! Most are local, but several are from neighboring states.We all have become very close friends, I appreciate you all and your Talents. I am very blessed to have such a close circle of friends in my musical life.
Many Thanks to the Curtis Brothers Band for being a part of such a Special weekend. For those of you who would like to hear more of this band. Go to www.curtisbrothersband.com. They mostly play in and around the Cleveland, Ohio area. With the added bonus of hearing great steel guitar from Jerry Brightman. Take the time to go hear them I promise you wont be disappointed!!
On behalf of Rick Troyer and Hummingbird Music's Celebration 2004 THANKS to each and every artist,staff members,and those who attended this event, who made it the best one yet!

See you again in 2006<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Decker on 26 April 2004 at 06:52 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Decker on 26 April 2004 at 07:16 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Decker on 26 April 2004 at 07:17 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Decker on 26 April 2004 at 07:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Brightman

Post by Jerry Brightman »

Dave it's Rick, and you, along with Mike Meese, and all the others who volentered/worked without much sleep, to make us proud of Ohio. I, as many others love to have folks acknowledge our playing, but the 26 year old, and especially the 13 year old that signed my guestbook is really what counts to me and touched my heart so much. We need the young folks and need to support and expose them to this wonderful instrument.

Thank you for inviting me and supporting The Curtis Brothers for our part of this event.

I thought everyone played Great including your set...remember what John said to you? It's the truth Image

Best regards,

Jerry

http://www.slidestation.com <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Brightman on 26 April 2004 at 09:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

I have to say Rick Troyer out did himself this year at the show, great performance, great players, and Rick is a great guy for putting on such a great show, I would like to get a Tab on that song I'd rather be with Jesus, if any one has it. Way to go Rick. steveb.
Don Burrows

Post by Don Burrows »

WHAT A WEEKEND!!!!! All the players were great. I have never heard a voice like Donnie Boggs. it sure made my weekend to see him play one of my student models. I think we will see a lot of him in the future.
Can't wait till the 2006 show.
Don Burrows
BSG Steel Guitars
Glen E. Lanning

Post by Glen E. Lanning »

I also really enjoyed the weekend. It was great to be able to play Friday night with Donnie Boggs. When you see and hear what this man can do it gives you just that much more inspiration. I don't think I have ever been to a show that had as much history represented: From Don Helms for the late 40's through John Hughey - WHAT A SHOW!! I will be back for 2006.
Many thanks to the complete staff. They all made you feel welcome, and I was treated the same as the professional during setup. Many thanks!

------------------
Vice President, MASGA
New Mullen U12 (2004)
Dekley 8/4 (1984)
ShoBud Professional (1969)D10 8/4

Tommy Allison

Post by Tommy Allison »

I can't thank Rick and his staff enough for the great weekend of fellowship and steel guitar music. I have heard most of these steelers play before,but I never heard any of them play better. The emotion that filled that room Sunday afternoon and evening is what it's all about.
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

What a spectacular event it was indeed. The staff was great and worked their butts off. Rick,,,ya did good brother. And what about that set Jerry Brightman did with the Curtis Brothers??? It was a display of masterful talent as well as diversity. I can't hardly wait for the next CD out of Jerry's. It's a style that appeals to everyone with a new twist. The young people like it too and bringing in new blood to the steel guitar world is what will keep it alive for decades to come. John Hughey...you son of a gun...what can I say...you got me beat forever on that steel but I gotta idea that I'll be giving the ole boy some fishin lessons Image Just sneak on down to the fishin hole and let's see what ya got Image You gotta know we love ya brother. Don Helms...did ya have to look around to make sure Hank wasn't singing for you again? Great job and a whole bunch of fun. Doug...you're tone and voicing is to die for my friend....
Folks if you missed this one you missed a great show...Check out the Choo Choo Reunion and if you're in the area Saluda always makes the trip worth while.

Ray
Todd Meadows

Post by Todd Meadows »

What an awsome show!! This was my first New Philly show, it defenatly won't be the last. The quality of Steel Guitar was out of this world.And how about that Donnie Boggs? when he sang with Don Helms the room was transported to the fifties. Thank's Rick