Information, Please

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Myron Reed

Information, Please

Post by Myron Reed »

A friend recently gave me an Amplifier. I'm wondering if is anything that anyone has used. It seems to have a good sound but I'm not that familiar with Amps. It is a Peavey 112 Bass. Does that mean I shuldn't use it for my steel guitar?
Mike Brown

Peavey Bass

Post by Mike Brown »

If it sounds good to you, then it is good for steel. One big difference is the equalization circuit though, which is critical.
Chuck Snider

Post by Chuck Snider »

Myron, I'm no expert by any stretch, but I can tell you that bass amps actually tend to work pretty well in most cases for steel. They typically have clean sound up to wide open which is important for steel. About the only other thing you need is a little reverb to go with it. Not sure how many bass amps have reverb, but if that one does, you shoudl be good to go. Like Mike Brown said, one important thing is that is sounds good to you.

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Colin Mclean

Post by Colin Mclean »

Myron, it won't hurt anything if that's what you're worried about. Like Mike said if it sounds good it's usable.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

You can get a stomp box for your reverb. I like the Boss RV-3 or RV-5.