Jay Leno - what happens to the Band ?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Billy Tonnesen

Jay Leno - what happens to the Band ?

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Many members of the Band on the Jay Leno show have had a steady job for 17 years. What happens to these Musicians ? Did Jay and the Network provide any kind of pension or matching 401K for these guys.
I understand they are all "Cream of the Crop" players and have many connections, but will they still be able to stay in town with their families or have to go out on the road or some circuit. Musician's Union Local 47 has always had a kind of Pension Fund that was paid into over they years, but I wonder what kind of monetary benefits it pays.
When Jay gets his new show in the Fall I wonder if there will be a live band, and if so, will he hire these guys back.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

I think that's his plan. DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

From everything Jay has said, on his show and others the past week, he is keeping just about all 250 union workers that have been with him for the past 17 years.
They are taking a vacation for a few weeks, then start working on the new show.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I just watched Conan on the Tonight show and it was a big let down to me. The band was the same as he had on his other show. I can't remember the leader but it's the drummer who plays with Bruce Springsteen, I think his name is Max somtehing or other. I watched a few minutes and then turned on Letterman. I'm gonna miss ol' Jay on the Tonight gig....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

you were hoping Conan would fire the guys who have been with him since day one?

This isn't like Jay taking over and you not having a base line to consult. Conan's already got a track record and a way of doing things. He's adjusting it to the time slot but, what about loyalty?
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Conan is the funniest man on TV!! (Just ask him.)

I just don't get him at all!! :roll:
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

What is there 'not to get' about Pimpbot?

I was wondering what Conan would do with Jimmy (Valvano) and the boys. Anybody who has a Magnatone Mark V in their guitar quiver is AOK in my book!
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

I've always been a big Conan fan.....he's an upgrade from Leno for me.

IMHO, Jay is just an Henny Youngman reissue.
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

On occasion, when I watch a 'late-night' talk show, I watch "Late Night with Craig Ferguson". The man's a master of adlib. His director's biggest job might be reigning him in. Like Robin Williams, Craig can get started on something and it quickly "snowballs" into a stream-of-conscience, comedic tour d' force. Based on his quick-wit, Craig Ferguson could probably do his entire show without any guests (something I seriously doubt Leno or O'brien can do). Ferguson's late-night show reminds me of two true geniuses of this genre: Steve Allen (The Original) and Johnny Carson (The Model for all who've followed).

Aside from Craig Ferguson, Letterman has always been entertaining for me. I've never appreciated Leno or O'Brien.

Back to the original question; I agree with others assumptions. Leno will probably keep his band intact. That seems to be the tradition.

Hey Tony, I like your "Detroit Red Wings" avatar. I've been a "Blackhawks" fan for about 50 years and there always seemed to be a "spark" when those two teams play. The recent Stanley Cup semi-finals were no acception. Congrats on the Red Wings success. Maybe they'll retain "The Cup". :D

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Glen,

The Blackhawks had a terrific year. They were voted as having had the most successful turn-around of any sports franchise. I think the Detroit-Chicago rivalry will be a hot one for years to come!

Tony
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

The Tonight Show hasn't been worth much since Johnny Carson left. Of all current late night hosts, David Letterman gets my vote.

I actually think Jimmy Fallon's band is awesome, he now hosts Late Night where Conan used to be. Pretty creative show; he's a little stiff, though.

Where's Arsenio Hall when you need him???
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Glenn Suchan wrote:On occasion, when I watch a 'late-night' talk show, I watch "Late Night with Craig Ferguson". The man's a master of adlib.
I too like Ferguson. He is much more entertaining.
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

I have to agree with John, Johnny Carson was the man, Leno was okay (didn't watch him that much unless there wasn't anything else to watch) but Conan? what the hell were they thinking, I never liked his humor, wondered where he came from and how he got into the ranks of folks like Carson.
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Another big Craig fan here...
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

Glenn, you are right on the mark with Ferguson. If you think about it, most of his show is just him. His guests have very little time. He has no sidekick, no band, and after watching him for a while, you begin to get a lot of the inside humor. My only gripe, as with Letterman, is their big time left wing slant. Leno's was not a obvious. Sometimes their humor is mean-spirited at the expense of trying to be funny. They treat NObama however, with kid gloves...
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Danny,That's the reason I WON'T watch Letterman,like watching MSNBC. at least Leno gave both sides the left and the right in his jokes the same.I have been watching the TONIGHT SHOW since The Jack Parr days,But no more,I wish Conan the best,but he's just too SILLY for me,He's as silly as a fourteen year little girl,When I want that I can have a conversation with my Grand daughter,. DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Pardon me, fellow Forumites, I'm taking the liberty to digress from the original topic to attach a few, somewhat related links -

The Steve Allen "Tonight Show":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8AYUfBt1dE (The 1st episode, 1953 or 1954)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPwRo0YTTe4

I think this has been posted before, but it's really uniquely historical and, I think, pretty funny. Note: It's from "The Steve Allen Show" which came after his stint on the "Tonight Show"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vip0H-I8pTg (Part 3 of 4)

Another from "The Steve Allen Show":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHX1a8qvcVE

And talk about musical guests:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEvqGVV3qsA

We return you to your previously scheduled program.... :D

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Bobby Hearn

Post by Bobby Hearn »

Hopefully, they'll all load up into the same car and get run over by a train! NOT REALLY!