Festus Hagen

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Bobby Hearn

Festus Hagen

Post by Bobby Hearn »

Anyone seen Ken Curtis A.K.A. Festus Hagen's rendition of Tumbling Tumbleweed on youtube? just type in Festus Hagen on the search. It's awesome!
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Ken Curtis had a wonderful voice. :D
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

As I think I remember, Ken Curtis sang with the Sons of the Pioneers, and at one time was Spade Cooley's male (heartthrob) vocalist. He was an excellent singer.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

"Why, you old scudder...."
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

When I was subbing in various bands in the LA area I had the oportunity to play with Ken in one of Spades bands. Joaquin told me that I did not have to worry about this guy as he could hit the high notes himself w/o the steel making it sound like he did. One in a million. It was a very enjoyable nite. cc
Mike Gross

Post by Mike Gross »

Ken was also Frank Sinatra's replacement in the Tommy Dorsey band.
Mike
Robert Tripp

Post by Robert Tripp »

There is a nice bronze like statue of Ken here in Clovis, CA where he lived for some time. He was well respected and was very involved in community events, espcially Big Hat Days and the Clovis Rodeo.

One of my most favoritest characters, and quite the linguist as well. Just check out some of his dialogue on the Gunsmoke Series.
http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippmusic

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

Even better, check out the Ken Curtis and the Sons Of The Pioneers version of Kathleen, on youtube.
Bobby Hearn

Post by Bobby Hearn »

Festus is my all time favorite tv character and I knew he was a great singer but my wife didn't, and when I showed it to her she was blown away. She just thought he was ole Festus.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I dug Ken on Gunsmoke but had no idea that he was a singer....thanks ,, time to go utubing
Bill Miller

Post by Bill Miller »

I found that video last year and it was quite a shocker to hear that voice coming out of Festus. Gunsmoke is my all time favoite show. My favorite Festus line: " Why you couldn't break a birdie's egg with a ball peen hammer".
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Robert Tripp wrote:There is a nice bronze like statue of Ken here in Clovis, CA where he lived for some time. He was well respected and was very involved in community events, espcially Big Hat Days and the Clovis Rodeo.

One of my most favoritest characters, and quite the linguist as well. Just check out some of his dialogue on the Gunsmoke Series.
He wore the Big Hat well and always had lots of cattle.
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Ben Elder

Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo Sometime in the 60s or 70s

Post by Ben Elder »

Broadmoor Resort, Colorado Springs, a guest suite on the lower outside of the stadium. Vents from the bathroom opened into the stadium ramps, from which this exchange was unforgettably imprinted:

On stage--Ken Curtis (Festus) and Milburn Stone (Doc) celebrity MC's:

Doc: What's next for the folks, Festus?

Festus: Well, Doc, I'm repairing to sang a song--

Doc: "repairing to si--!!!" That's bad English, you ignorant saddle tramp! "Repair" means to fix.

Festus: That's just what I meant, y' ornery old goat: I'm FIXIN' to SANG a SONG!
"Gopher, Everett?"
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Curtis at the Fort Worth Stock Show/Rodeo back in the mid to late 60's I was all of 8 - 9 years old, that was back when they would have entertainers do a short show for intermission. After the show they would set up a table and the star would sit and sign autographs for those that wanted them. I remember standing in line for maybe 30 minutes and got up to the table, Mr. Curtis got up from behind the table and came around shook my hand and I was able to get a picture (buried somewhere with all the other memorabilia at my mothers house I'm sure)I remember how nervous I was and how at ease he made me....flash forward to mid 1990's I was managing a hat booth at the Fort Worth Stock Show/Rodeo in the exhibits hall, the owner of the store was good friends with Buck Taylor who played "Newly" on Gun Smoke with Mr. Curtis, Buck was not only a great actor but also a very creative and talented Artist, he was attempting to get a booth of his own (to display his artwork) for the Stock Show but had applied to late for that particular year, the owner of the hat shop told him he could use some of our space, I got to know Buck Taylor and he became a great friend, I had told him about my encounter with Mr. Curtis all those years earlier and at the same place, and the stories started to fly, He stated that Mr. Curtis was one of the nicest more talented actors with a great sense of humor and that he not only enjoyed working the Festus but also learned a lot from Mr. Curtis. I thought how life and events come full circle in our lives and that that whole gang of folks where some of the nicest/most friendly folks in the business.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Mark - I got to meet him at the Rio Grande Valley Livestock Show & Rodeo in about 1965 or so. He was probably making the rounds of the rodeos. My Dad was one of the organizers of the show and got to have lunch with him one day. He said he was a great guy to spend time with.

We also got to meet Hoss, Little Joe, and Paw one year. Daniel Boone (Fess Parker) came in one year, also.

Lee