Canon in D

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

James Mayer
Location: back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)

Canon in D

Post by James Mayer »

I have to learn Canon in D for a wedding, this summer. Is there an arrangement for steel guitar out there?
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

James -

I may only be able to save you a little time and effort but here goes: - To my knowledge, Buddy Emmons was the only one to record Canon in D Major. It was, I believe, on his "white" album (the white shirt and rainbow). Went to his site from the Forum and it was not listed as an available tab. Then "Googled" Canon and steel guitar. Went through a dozen pages and found nothing.

The music for piano is readily available as I have it and, when time and my chops permit, I'll dig into it and come up with a faithful rendition. If no one comes to your rescue, then my recommendation is that - if you read music - put your nose to the grindstone and learn the first part of it since, it being a "canon", it becomes more complex as one progresses through the music. Don't be concerned about the truly complex parts. As I understand it, the Canon is an introduction of the bride. Given that, you wouldn't have to come up with more than a minute or two of music to satisfy the requirement that it be played. If you listen to the Canon as played on piano versus the rendition by Buddy then you'll find that Buddy shortened it severely - but very effectively. This may be all that you'll have to do.

Make it a labor of love and you'll do all right. I wish you the best. Wish I could help more at this time.

Respectfully,

Richard
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

It's worth pointing out that Buddy multi-tracked his recording of the Canon in D as even the Great E would not have been able to play all of that at once, live. For live performance, you might be able to generate a reasonable facsimile of some of the lines but there is so much counterpoint going on in there that it's really best to play it with a trio or quartet and have the steel just play one of the lines. Or... pre-record 3 of the parts and play a 4th part live along with the recording. Good luck and let us hear the results!
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Jimbeaux -

You're right. I made a mental calculation error. Even when played at the recommended tempo - "Andante" and a quarter note = 72bpm - the piano arrangement that I have runs 3min, 40sec and starts to get into hairy ground after about 1min. I must defer to your recommendation that the piece be split up among more than one instrument. It's doable but would require a fair amount of work. You've given me something to think about for a future attempt at playing this wonderful piece. I have a decent digital, multitrack recorder and an overdub - or two - or three - seems to be the sane thing to do. Thanks for the insight and correction.

Respectfully,

Richard
James Mayer
Location: back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)

Post by James Mayer »

I found a guitar-pro tab that is arranged for standard spanish guitar tuning. I learned the first part which is easy. When it starts speeding up, it feels like steel is just not the instrument for the job. I've never approached the steel as a way to play fast as I just don't like the sound of speedy runs on the intrument. I am playing it with a guitarist and am thinking that the fast parts should be played on guitar with the steel highlighting important notes.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

James Mayer wrote:I've never approached the steel as a way to play fast as I just don't like the sound of speedy runs on the intrument.
Well, you could do like I do and play a "half-fast" version of it! :whoa:
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Buddy played Canon Live at Scotty's convention in 1983. He used charts and played along with a tape.

<center>Image</center>
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Guy Cundell

Post by Guy Cundell »

A famous piece, indeed. There are arrangements available, for string quartet for example, which are popular for weddings but it could be just improvisation on this famous theme and chord progression. "I V vi iii IV I IV V" Just keep the variations coming. They will love it. The chord progression is a winner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachelbel%27s_Canon
Brent LaBeau

Post by Brent LaBeau »

Johnny Baldwin

Post by Johnny Baldwin »

Thanks Brent for the YouTube link. That guy is hilarious.