Latency

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lee Gillespie

Latency

Post by Lee Gillespie »

I've developed a latency problem with Guitar Tracks Pro 3. I have E mailed Cakewalk 3 times, and they dont have the decency to acknowledge my question.
I download my BIAB rhythm to GT,as I have many times in the past, with no problems. The only new factor is I had to replace my sound card. The tech installed Audigy LS. I moved the latency mixer slider all the way to the right and it seem to help, but still the latency problem exist. Help... Lee
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Latency is not a Cakewalk problem, it's a PC / Interface problem. latency is the biggest issue with PC recording.

What interface and drivers are you using ?

Cakewalk does have a midi and audio reset button up at the top, you should reset both of those after each take.

The correct drivers being used is also a must.

Programs like Guitar Tracks and Fender Amplitube are real memory hogs and can drain your system of resources in a heartbeat.

Back to the interface and the drivers question. I recently had a Tascam USB interface which I use with Cakewalk, I could never get the latency resolved, now I have an Maudio hard card interface, all is fine but I do need to add memory to my system as the more I have opened in the way of VST's and the more tracks I use I do run into issues.

The PC I use is dedicated for music, no internet, no virus, no firewall protections, nothing running in the background.

t

some forum topic links

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=150319

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=151753
Lee Gillespie

Latency

Post by Lee Gillespie »

Thank you Tony for the comeback.... I printed all the material you referenced on latency... and now will study. I'm like Chris..I am definately a techo-dum dum when it comes to this devil woman. I'm like a bunch of other computer dum dum's.. I want to install the program and start pickin and grinnin..instead of having to take a college course in computer science. Here's hoping for a better tomorrow on this devil woman. Thanks again Lee

Marty Robbins said it all when he sang "DEVIL WOMAN SET ME FREE"
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Lee,

For what it's worth, I've been the same route as you are now.

Take Tony's advice. The M-Audio card is a breeze to install, and will solve the latency issues for good.

Best 90 bucks I've ever spent on gear!
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Lee Gillespie

Latency

Post by Lee Gillespie »

Hi David. Witch Maudio are you talking about for 99 buxs?... the Maudio 10/10 is 199 on musicians friend.
I noticed a Maudio fast track usb for 99 buxs.. is this the one your refering to?.... thanks Lee
Gwyneth Morgan

Post by Gwyneth Morgan »

If you haven't done so, it's absolutely critical that you install and direct I/O to ASIO drivers, rather than the native audio drivers on the PC.

Also, whenever you're doing audio work, kill all non-essential programs and services... especially firewalls, virus protection, etc.
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Lee,

Here it is.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=701341

I actually got mine from amazon, check around, you may find a better deal.

Good Luck,
David
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com