E9th Players: How Often Do You Change Strings?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

How often do you replace the whole set?

Poll ended at 9 Jun 2009 9:46 am

1 week
3%
2 weeks
6%
3 weeks
6%
1 month
15%
6 weeks
8%
2 months
13%
3 months
12%
4 months
5%
6 months
11%
1 year
8%
very rarely
13%

Total votes: 142

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Problem is, if you change them, then you have to tune them.

I use Jagwires and they have good staying power. I change full sets maybe every 2 months. I will change individual strings more often if they start to sound strange or lose tuning stability. I play at least 2 times a week and sometimes 3 or 4.
bill dearmore

Post by bill dearmore »

I use to change every couple weeks but since I discovered the "Blitz" cloth about once a year. I know...I couldn't believe it either!
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

I am very fortunate that my hands have never sweated ever, so my strings tend to sound new all the time. I have seen steels where the players have sweated alot and just around the changer end where their right hand rest, it's a dark almost black colour...the only time where black does not sound better :lol: When I have a few gigs on, I'll just change my 3rd, 5th, and sometimes the 6th. The 1st and 4th perhaps every few weeks, and a whole set very seldom. My current guitar hardly breaks strings anyway,considering I practice each and every day. Regards the very low strings, I've stuck to what the big "E" demonstrated when he played here in England many years ago. Loosen the string right off pretty slack and snap them like a bow and arrow against the fret board. Don't be gentle....now tune up to pitch again. That snapping action rids all the dirt from the strings and brings the brightness back. I remember years ago some guitar players used to boil their old strings....not for me :)

Micky Byrne United Kingdom

Sho-Bud and Carter universals

www.micky-byrne.co.uk