Effective E9 lessons anywhere via Skype

CDs, LPs, tapes, videos, tab, instruction, software
John McClung

Effective E9 lessons anywhere via Skype

Post by John McClung »

PERSONALIZED E9 METHOD INSTRUCTION, LIVE & SKYPE

I'm pleased to announce that my teaching business is now back in action.

The past few months I've been preoccupied with the activities around moving from Los Angeles to beautiful Olympia, WA. With that done, I'm primarily teaching via Skype video-conferencing now, but also in-studio for any steel students in the Puget Sound area.

Full info on my website (due for some updating, please ignore references to Los Angeles, etc.):

http://steelguitarlessons.com

Very simply, I teach all the invaluable technique and music knowledge I wish someone had shown ME when I was first trying to learn this challenging instrument.

My teaching is not a hodgepodge of licks, songs and intros. Rather, I have a thorough, organized and logically sequenced E9 curriculum designed to teach the basics of being a musician that plays the E9 neck (plus intermediate and advanced topics when the time comes) and get you ready for the bandstand, or at least playing at that level. We cover right and left hand technique, listening skills, and "how to pull it all together." We can also work on material YOU want or need to learn (many students who are already playing out or jamming find this option helpful).

Though my intent is serious, my sense of humor still comes through, as my students will attest. I don't do boring lectures!

I've been playing 43 years, and teaching for 32. I conduct seminars at the Phoenix steel show, and taught several full day seminars in Northern and Southern California.

For more info, just click "Send Email" in this post, and I'll get to you a very detailed PDF to you explaining what and how I teach, including how to get set up for Skype lessons, what webcam to use, what Internet speed you need, and more.

Also, see these prior forum threads for endorsements from many current and past students, all of whom I'm quite proud of!:

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum18/HTML/000253.html

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

See you in class!

John McClung
aka "Professor Twang"
Last edited by John McClung on 9 Aug 2014 10:58 am, edited 9 times in total.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I would like to vouch for John McClung as a teacher of steel guitar, which is a skill that requires being a picker (which he is), but so much more.

I've done my share of individual instruction, and John and I have often compared notes on effective one-on-one teaching techniques. I've only gotten insights and good ideas from John. Even now, I consult with him regarding my own instructional products that I offer here on the forum, over my website, and at steel guitar shows.

Any players in CA would serve themselves well with instruction from John McClung, IMHO, regardless of skill level but especially for the beginner and intermediate levels of playing.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Herb, thanks for the kind words!

Herb and I are on exactly the same page: the best players know how to play the MELODY. To do that requires good listening skills, and a good understanding of what notes you have under your fingers, in open, A+B, and A+F positions. That's a cornerstone of my curriculum.

You Texas players: try to coax Herb out of teaching retirement, his knowledge is amazing, and he's the coolest guy you could ever hope to meet or study with!!

Who knows, maybe we'll join forces and start a bona fide school, me focused on E9, Herb focused on C6. Whaddya think, Herb?
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

rise...
Marc Friedland

Post by Marc Friedland »

A bump up for my friend John.

For all you living anywhere close to John, I highly recommend taking advantage of his offer to teach you pedal steel guitar. A great guy and a great teacher.

Marc
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Thanks for the kind words, Marc! The material has vastly improved since you had lessons with me a few years back.

Now that you're in Ft. Collins, CO...how many Mullen do you own?

:wink:
E9 INSTRUCTION
Marc Friedland

Post by Marc Friedland »

Hi John,

Knowing your commitment to educating people about the pedal steel guitar, I can imagine you have really refined your teaching courses. They were really good back then, so they’re probably no less than super now.
I realize I’m living in Mullen country now.
Fortunately, I’m quite happy with my Carters.
I’m pretty sure I still have the cassette tapes packed away somewhere of all my lessons from you.
WOW, it’s hard to believe that was 15 years ago!

Marc
Chris L. Christensen

Post by Chris L. Christensen »

John is the best! John is an excellent musician, extremely knowledgable and dedicated instructor and all-around great guy. You'll find no better teacher in the world than Professor Twang! He is the best!
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Thanks for the kind remarks, Herb, Marc and Chris!

Btw, I'm now retired from my day gig as a graphic designer, so my schedule is a lot more flexible. I can teach weekends and weekdays, whatever works best for the student.
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

ttt...
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

bump...
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

≥≥≥
E9 INSTRUCTION
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

John, do your students need to have all that "junk" that hangs down under your D-12 for their lessons?
Bump up for my pal and a great teacher!
JE:-)>
Emmons D10PP 8/4 -75'
Emmons S-10PP 3/4 - 79'
Emmons S-12PP 3/4 -78'
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Ha, Jimmy! No, students need just 3+3, more is better, but my 4+7 is definitely too much for any beginner. Almost too much for me, even!

Anyone living in the western SF Valley (Santa Susanna area) hook up with Jimmy Eaton, great player and teacher as well.

Say hi to Cari, please, Jimmy.

Johnny Twang
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Hello, Los Angeles new players!
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

^^^
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Updated info bump...
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

overdue bump...

if you're struggling in any way with E9, I'm here to help with a musical understanding of your pedal steel, how to understand many basic principles and apply in a variety of songs, genres, etc. I teach both HOW and WHY. And I watch your technique very carefully so you don't have to break bad habits further down the road.
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

^^^
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

^^^
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

^^^
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

^^^
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

^^^
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

The cold fall and winter seasons are a great time to study and practice!

Lessons via Skype video chat are quite easy and very effective, send me a PM or go to my website for more info.
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

≤≤≤
E9 INSTRUCTION