off chord

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dean Parks

Post by Dean Parks »

I'll chime in here with a view that has served me (and other music professionals I know) very well for some time now:

There are many languages and/or structures that describe the mechanics of music (theory). Knowing more than one language is a good thing, not a bad thing.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Dean Parks wrote:I'll chime in here with a view that has served me (and other music professionals I know) very well for some time now:

There are many languages and/or structures that describe the mechanics of music (theory). Knowing more than one language is a good thing, not a bad thing.
Good advice, Dean!
Woody Guthrie wrote:Believe it or not, you won't find it so hot
If you ain't got the do re mi
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
J. Michael Robbins

Post by J. Michael Robbins »

Dean Parks wrote:I'll chime in here with a view that has served me (and other music professionals I know) very well for some time now:

Dean,
Will you expound on this a little bit, please?
Thanks,
Mike
1970 Marlen D-10, 1971 Professional, 1973 Pro II, 1977 Marlen D-10, 1978 Marlen D-10, 1980 Marlen D-10
Dean Parks

Post by Dean Parks »

J.M.R.-

It's just nice to really know a term I'd never understood ("off chord"), especially the accordian example earlier in this thread. I had thought "off-chord" would have implied "wrong" or "too far out".

Now, if someone uses the term "off-chord", I get it (tho I'd have to ask a question or 2 to really find the chord).

The fact is, I think that anyone who can play music by ear has developed his own framework of music theory, and there are not many words involved. (Erroll Garner and Wes Montgomery are examples of excellent musicians who had no real verbal music theory framework that I'm aware of.)

Later we can learn "what to call" the things we know about music, if we want. As we collaborate with other musicians from various backgrounds, it's like learning a new language: new words or frameworks describing things we maybe already knew.

By "good thing, not a bad thing" I mean that no one needs to get bent out of shape because some other musician is using a different framework.
J. Michael Robbins

Post by J. Michael Robbins »

Dean,
I think that is well put.
Thank you,
Mike
1970 Marlen D-10, 1971 Professional, 1973 Pro II, 1977 Marlen D-10, 1978 Marlen D-10, 1980 Marlen D-10
John McGann

Post by John McGann »

Hi Dean- there is a youtube clip of Wes teaching a pianist a tune and calling the changes, so I think it's a long standing myth that Wes didn't know theory or couldn't read chord symbols...