band in a box software

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Frank Shoptaugh

band in a box software

Post by Frank Shoptaugh »

can anybody tell how usefull the software "band in the box" might be for a newbie to steel guitar?
frank shoptaugh
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

If you like having your own rhythm section play in any style, in any key, at any volume, any tempo, any time of day or night with any progression- then you will find Band In A Box very useful. Contact Big Jim Baron Bigjim4b@sbcglobal.net as he is our resident BIAB go-to expert for both sales and support.
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

My Opinion:

BIAB can and will be a very useful learning and practice tool for any player, assuming it's used properly.

It does require some music theory knowledge, or at least access to some very good chord charts or lead sheets for the songs that you're trying to learn.

I think that it's best benefit is the timing and consistency issue. It never varies unless you make a change. It will improve your timing by way of not waiting on you when you make a mistake.

Your mileage may vary :D
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Tamara James

BIAB for new steelers

Post by Tamara James »

I am new too. I am beginning to use BIAB as a tool. I find it very helpful. It also has features not normally listed on the ads such as 3 ear training features. This is very useful to me as I have very under-developed ear for cords.

I would like to suggest you contact Chuck Campbell or Jim Baron [like JP said, he is great]. They both seem to be BIAB gurus. Mr. Campbell has a CD out with over 4,000 tracks on it. Mr. Baron has some tracks for sale through the forum. I am using them every day along with my lessons.

I think Doug Beamier has a large book done with BIAB. There is a "free" version somewhere on the net that is like a "viewer." He has some samples for his book you could view. The information is here on the forum somewhere. It won't let you change anything, but you can see sample-like versions.

I really am finding it valuable. Of course, I am having to learn a new software package. That's a drawback, but I really think that in the long run it will be worth the time and effort.
:D
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

Be careful if you are a Mac user.

I carefully read the website, watched all the tutorials, bought the program, and then found some very significant features (in the very video tutorial supplied with the software) were not there!

Most prominent for steel guitar practice is that the Mac version doe not permit you to freely set a custom loop length and position so it is difficult to isolate passages to practice.
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
John McGlothlin

Post by John McGlothlin »

The best thing about BIAB is...you don't have to hire any musicians to help you do a recording. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Frank Shoptaugh

Post by Frank Shoptaugh »

:D Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.
I have contacted bigjim for price on band in the box
Last edited by Frank Shoptaugh on 27 Jul 2009 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
frank shoptaugh
Robert Tripp

Post by Robert Tripp »

You will enjoy it Frank, and Jim is the way to go. Also look at joining the PG Music forum lots of help there for those using PG music products.
http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippmusic

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.