What songs would make good instrumentals?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I’ve played every one of these at one time or another

Can’t Take My Eyes Off You
Dancing Queen (Abba)
What a Wonderful World
Jingle bell Rock
Old Man River
Here There and Everywhere
Unchained Melody
Killing Me Softly
Theme from Arthur
Medley of Killing me softly and the theme from Arthur
Beyond the Sea
Downtown
Let it Be Me
Lonesome Town
Medley of Let it be Me and Lonesone Town
Georgia on my mind
Somewhere Over the rainbow
Country Roads

Dancing Queen by Abba is especially well suited for a pedal steel guitar instrumental, and as far as I know, I'm the only one who has ever played it.

BTW David, I love your version of Save The last Dance For Me on your latest CD. A+.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Joe Savage

Post by Joe Savage »

Mike, a band I play in called 'Hookers and Blow' does Dancing Queen. Not as an instrumental, but nonetheless, you're not alone!!! I've played it many times.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

A song we do that gets a good response is Johnny Rivers..."Poor side of town".
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
LARRY COLE

Post by LARRY COLE »

My Girl and Get Ready by the Temptations. McArthur Park. Any thing from early Stevie Wonder. Many Herb Alpert tunes would be fun. I think
Killing Me Softly and The first Time Ever I Saw Your Face is by Roberta Flack.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Joe, I don't understand why more players haven't picked up on Dancing Queen. It's a good song anyway, but it's perfect for a steel instrumental.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

"Swinging Doors"?
John Drury

Re: What songs would make good instrumentals?

Post by John Drury »

David Hartley wrote:I need some ideas?

David Hartley
Check out some of Mike Sweeneys titles, the guy is a master at coming up with good steel tunes.

I like the way Janet Lynn did "Run For The Roses". I would be very interested in hearing your rendition of that one!
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Eddie D.Bollinger

Post by Eddie D.Bollinger »

David, I would love to hear a version of
Sonny James' "Young Love" as an instrumental.

I enjoy all your music greatly.

Eddie Bollinger.

Mississippi.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

"Vincent" (Starry Starry Night) I heard Chet do it and always thought a good steel player could do wonders with it. David just might be the man to do it.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

...what about Beach boys'stuff: "God, only knows,Good Vibrations or Wouldn't it be nice?"
Olaf, one of these days I want to do "Disney Girls" from the Surf's Up album. :)
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Another song that would be a good steel instrumental would be "The Girl From Yesterday" by the Eagles. It features great steel.

Brett
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Rick Campbell wrote:"Vincent" (Starry Starry Night) I heard Chet do it and always thought a good steel player could do wonders with it. David just might be the man to do it.
Rick you have my agreement on that one. Beautiful tune!!!
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

David, another one for you: Stranger on the Shore (Acker Bilk)
Kenneth Caine

Post by Kenneth Caine »

Ashokan Farewell, I have been playing it, or tying to, on a lap steel.
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

How about:

"Chaconne in Dm" by Bach?

"Wonderland by Night"

"To Know Him is to Love Him" (I've been doing this one- it's a sweeeeet tune on steel...)

OR

Why don't you go back to your published tabs and add chords and time/phrasing values (see tab done by DeWitt Scott) so it will actually be readable like sheet music....just a suggestion- I'm trying to learn your wonderful OBS from materials I purchased from you....I am really more interested in the structure of your arrangement than where to put my fingers...
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Bob Simons wrote:

"To Know Him is to Love Him" (I've been doing this one- it's a sweeeeet tune on steel...)
Probably the best tune ever written by a convicted murderer. (Phil Spector)
David Hartley

Hi Bob

Post by David Hartley »

Chaconne in Dm
thats one for Mike Pearly King I think!

there,s some great ideas here. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions, and yes Bob, I will have a look at structure and phrasing in the tabs. I have been spending hours recording on my new studio gear just lately whenever I get a chance. I am learning a lot about Apple Logic. I am making a DVD too which is for beginners. I have met a few people recently who have bought steels and need a start. The DVD will show basic licks, scales and simple instrumentals, and backing up vocalists, and how and when to play. How to compliment a vocalist with simple licks, how to find a key for a song thats started up quickly without you knowing what key it's in,and how to know where to go on your steel without worrying about what key a song is in etc etc.. It will be simple, and basic, but will get your steel sounding sweet with simple songs. It will show my set-up and settings on my effects and amp at gigs too. I will keep you updated on the progress. It may include together again with tabs, and mansion on the hill without tabs as it will be so easy to follow with a little instruction. I have more to do as yet. Orange blossom special DVD was the most requested and its something you can keep forever and learn from it as and when you feel like it.,. This new DVD will be like an intimate hour (or more) or various tuitional material. It WILL start anyone off from scratch on a PSG and will have markers at different stages for those wishing to skip through to learn licks and songs etc..
Anyway, thats an update on things. I also have my Akita PUP! He is now 6 months old and what a handfull!. He has chewed up a lot including Sky controllers, Plants in the Garden, Skiting boards, almost a playstation 2 tonight! Dogs, why do we have 'em?
Bill Stroud? I cannot find the battery pack for the LED bar thats why I have not posted it to you yet..I may just have to forward you the LED's and resistor info. I apologise for not replying to many emails just lately, I will get back to you all as soon as I can.
Regards to you all,
David Hartley
PS Spoke to fat boy John Stannard tonight, I told him I am progressing with the recording gear and we will get together soon to continue our projects already started.

Hello Tamara.. :)

Hello Brian Folks :)

Hello all at Rains! :)

BYE
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Bob Simons wrote:

Probably the best tune ever written by a convicted murderer. (Phil Spector)
Must quibble. It wasn't written by a convicted murderer. When he wrote TKHITLH he was not a convicted murderer. The murder of which he was convicted occurred 45 years later, the conviction 51 years later.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Willis Vanderberg wrote:Two of my favoriest are " First Time Ever I Saw Your Face " and Killing Me Softly " I believe they were done by Carole King.
I don't believe either was ever done by Carole King. Both were done by Roberta Flack in probably their best known versions.
Mike Perlowin

Re: Hi Bob

Post by Mike Perlowin »

David Hartley wrote:
Chaconne in Dm
thats one for Mike Pearly King I think!
David, I appreciate the vote of confidence. but I would be afraid to tackle that one.

My classical music trio is going to do something by Bach sooner or later, but we've not yet decided which piece.
Ford Cole

How about...?

Post by Ford Cole »

How about some of the time-tested Christian material? There's some beautiful melodic as well as harmonic writing in that area. A couple that come to mind are "Wayfaring Stranger" and "How Great Thou Art."
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

"You Belong To Me" is one that I was going to try to work up, . . .
Great song. Check out Tommy Dodd's new CD "Steel Grits." I've been doing it along with "My Own True Love" and "Have Your Heard," using a BIAB track. Good old 12/8 Duprees medley to play and enjoy the tunes for what they are.
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

[/quote]
Olaf, one of these days I want to do "Disney Girls" from the Surf's Up album. :)[/quote]
Well,good job..keep us informed!!!
R. D. Miller

Post by R. D. Miller »

I heard one of my old favorites on the radio yesterday which I had forgotten about. The song is "The Sweetest thing I've Ever Known" by Juice Newton. This song would have to be beautiful as a steel instrumental
Ronnie

"There are two well kept secrets to success. 1. Never tell everything you know . . ."
Walter Bowden

Post by Walter Bowden »

I think a challenge would be for an instrumental steel guitar arrangement of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier, Prelude I. Christopher Parkening recorded it on a 6 string classical guitar as have many other classical guitarists. Can they do something on 6 strings that can't be done on a steel? It is a deceptively simple sounding tune and only approx. 2 minutes long, but it covers a lot of musical territory in that time. In fact, I have not heard "classical" music done on a steel but, admittedly, have not been actively seeking it.
Emmons S10, p/p, Nashville 112, Zion 50 tele style guitar, Gibson LP Classic w/Vox AC30, Fender Deluxe De Ville and a Rawdon-Hall classical