Any interest in an Atascadero, CA jam session/seminar?

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Robert Tripp

Post by Robert Tripp »

Man I'd love to attend, depending of course on the dates. Im in Fresno area so its not too bad a trip. I too am a beginner. someone used the term "rank beginner" in another post.

I can't think of a better way to describe my steel playing at this point. Started play about 10 days ago. Looking forward to more concrete info on this venue.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

We're encouraged by all the interest in this, thanks.

Atascadero and Paso Robles get really hot in the summer, I'm thinking of holding off till the cooler fall. Since it's just a weekend thing, don't think it requires anyone's summer vacation to attend. Correct me if I'm wrong.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Good call! :D
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

Fall is harvest time in wine country here. There are lots of events going on, and a very busy time. Hotel rooms will be at a premium. Something to think about. This time of year is a good time...
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Good tip, Danny, thanks.

What part of TX are you exiled from? Who'd you play with? Play a lot of C6?
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

Exiled by choice, but my heart is still there :) Ft. Worth.

I had a long-winded response here, but wore myself out re-reading it, so I "condensed" it :)

I do play some C6 but it's blended, utilizing a U-12 tuning...

Played with a number of different artists in TX. It's a great place for a steeler. CA too has it's share of great pickers and I've really enjoyed pickin out here....

Danny
Terry Hickey

Post by Terry Hickey »

Danny,
Did you drive out here in that car or was it towed? :lol:

See you @ Mongo's Terry
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

Well, it's about 15 miles from our house, but we drive there on the weekends to eat at In-and-out for burgers and fries. Why not a steel get together? Sounds great.
Craig Krause

Post by Craig Krause »

I'm interested in a seminar and jam. Like Dave, I would enjoy a seminar for C6, even a short one, to get me started.
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

Just a thought... but Bobby Black would be an ideal person to give a C6th seminar :) ...(or any tuning for that matter :) ).
Dave Wren
'96 Carter U12,7X7; 1936 7 string National; Line 6 HX Stomp; Quilter TT-15/TB202; Quilter "Steelaire"; DV Mark "GH 250"with 15" 1501 BW; Boss "Katana" 100 Head w/Line 6 Cab; Telonics VP.
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

I'd be interested in doing this.
JE:-)>
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

David Wren, Bobby teaching C6 is a great idea! I'm not very qualified at this point.

Keep those ideas coming, gang!
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Bob Hamilton

Biab

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Hi John, Big Jim Baron has family just down the road from me in Atascadero if BIAB is of interest. He might be up for a visit. BH
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

That's great info, Bob, thanks! When plans finalize with a date, I'll call Big Jim.

How's that cool ZB of yours? That was a fun jam with you and John Clarke and Larry Schubert.
E9 INSTRUCTION
Bob Hamilton

Zb

Post by Bob Hamilton »

That particular ZB was traded for a CZB S12 6/4 that's in the final stages of tweaking into a universal, but I have two other D10s and a D11/10 that's my current favorite. You'll have to give it a run next time you're up here. S/N is 0008.
Eric Jaeger

Post by Eric Jaeger »

I'm interested as well.

Just for reference, Bill Llewellyn and I are thinking of holding another NorCal jam in October in Alameda.

-eric
Rab Garrick

Post by Rab Garrick »

I'm in, depending on the date. I hope you don't mind a beginnerish steeler.

~O~
To Live's to Fly
Robert Tripp

Post by Robert Tripp »

Don't worry Rab, you'll be a pro next to me lol.
http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippmusic

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

The jam session will be open to ALL levels.

The seminar(s), if we have any, will be spelled out, including prerequisite knowledge needed to get the most out of them. Generally, I teach "new beginner" to "more experienced beginner" level courses.

This will be figured out as we develop plans, probably for the fall, I'm too busy now to add another project to tackle right away. But John Clarke and I do want to pull off something fun and interesting as soon as feasible.
E9 INSTRUCTION
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

Any more news on this idea?
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Hi Peter, long time no talk or see! I was just talking about you, nicely of course, with John Lee White III last night at a rehearsal we were both at for a great local singer, Marjorie Michelle Rose. Ring me up someday to talk steel!

Now, back on topic: we intend to do this in the fall when the weather is cooler. We have a great venue, I have most of the gear necessary to do a BIAB-powered jam session (hopefully by then I'll have learned my new Mac version), we do have live players if we go that route, and if I teach I have plenty of topics to go over for beginner and intermediate levels.

Thanks for the inquiry, stand by, more to come in the coming months. We (with buddy John Clarke) will post a new announcement here when all info is known.
E9 INSTRUCTION
Jack Guthery

Post by Jack Guthery »

count me in
Frank Carter

Post by Frank Carter »

I'm in!!
Billy McCombs

Post by Billy McCombs »

TT
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

If the date that is selected is open for me I expect to be there. I might even bring a D-10 Rus-ler that would be for sale, relatively cheap.