How many of you seniors still play gigs?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ellis Miller

Post by Ellis Miller »

By comparison, I may not even be a senior. I am 64 and still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. While I do not play for a living anymore I still gig several nights a month and have a large time doing it.

I have learned, however, that a lot of things have changed since I quit drinking and the girls don't like me as well. ;-)
Ellis Miller
Don't believe everything you think.
http://www.ellismillermusic.com
Lee Holeman

Senior Picker

Post by Lee Holeman »

Hey, I'll be 76 in a week and staying busy. Play an Excel U12 4 nights a week, and play Organ 1 night at a country club. I also sing every night! :D
Jim Harper

Post by Jim Harper »

Well guy,s i am 75 and play 2 night,s a week. at senior citizen,s dance,s No smoking and no drinking. Best gig i have had since the 60,s==Jim Harper
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Boy, I am glad to find out how "young" I am. At 60, I play 3 to four gigs a month during the summer, not so many in the winter. I do get the "Senior" discount on my coffee at McDonald's...
Larry J.
Bob Mueller

Post by Bob Mueller »

Still play 5 to 6 nites, but just a couple of hr. Mostly to French, German, etc. Some of them kind of like it. Would play every night if we could.
I have to play mostly Guitar and sing with Bass and Drums. I would play more Steel if the new Desert Rose can stand the enviorment, ( Dust, Sun, Spilled Drinks.)
Bobby
TELONICS PEDAL
NEW DELTA BLUES 5 and 5
Stupid D9th with half Day Setup
( DESERT ROSE FROM CHUCK )
LOVE IT !!!!!
NEW STEEL SEAT BY JOE
HOLDS ALL MY STUFF
Roland cube 80 xl (wow)
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

If you call 62 "senior". Yes, I play out often.

r2
Dr. Richard Buffington

Still Gigging

Post by Dr. Richard Buffington »

I am going on 76 and play 2 to 3 nights a week with American Kountry band mostly at the service clubs and resorts. In the summer I go to Oregon and do some gospel shows also. Doc.
George Brown

Post by George Brown »

I am 75, and was playing one to three times every week, until some Surgery kinda put me on the sidelines for a while. I think I'm about ready to climb (or crawl) back in the saddle, and try it again, at least on a limited schedule.
George...
Skip Ellis

Post by Skip Ellis »

I'll be 64 in a month and I still play whenever anybody'll let me - steel, lead guitar or both.
2013 Brook Torridge, 2014 Martin 000-18, two homebrew Teles, Evans RE200 amp, Quilter 101R head, understanding wife of 45 years. 'Steeless' at the moment but looking......
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

Charlie, yes you are right, I will be 77 in Sept, still play my steel every Friday and Saturday night and just having a ball, come see us, Shorty

Emmons D10, p/p, bought new in 73, Peavy 1000 and 112, Goodrich Dobro box, 1983 Dobro model flat neck Dobro, 1972 Fender Telecaster guitar
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

I'm 69, and I still play from four to six gigs a month. I wouldn't mind playing a few more if there were more jobs available. I have had to scale down my equipment and lighten my load a bit recently due to some lower back problems. But I guess I'll keep pickin' as long as I can still crawl up on the stage. I started playing when I was ten years old, and I can't imagine life without steel guitar.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

I still play Early evening Senior Communty dances on occasion.. No smoking no licquer. I gave up the bar gigs 7 years ago at 80. I still enjoy playing for the Seniors who might still remember the old tunes. So , you guys , keep on pickin, as long as your picks will stick to your fingers....al.:) :D :D 8) 8)
Michigan (MSGC)Christmas Dinner and Jam on my 80th Birthday.

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

You know, I watch some of the older folks that come to the senior dances that I play. When they get out of their cars, some of them can hardly walk into the hall. But when the band starts playing they get up on the floor and dance until we quit. That's what makes it all worth while. God bless you guys, and lets keep picking.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Sorry about the double post but it took over 15 minutes to take, so I cliked again, thought it didnt go through...

I still play Early evening Senior Communty dances on occasion.. No smoking no licquer. I gave up the bar gigs 7 years ago at 80. I still enjoy playing for the Seniors who might still remember the old tunes. So , you guys , keep on pickin, as long as your picks will stick to your fingers....al.:) :D :D 8) 8)
Michigan (MSGC)Christmas Dinner and Jam on my 80th Birthday.

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

Wow! There is still someplace I can go (The Steel forum) and feel young!!!!!!!

Bob - 62 yrs. od
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Dean Edwards

Old Timers

Post by Dean Edwards »

I'm 76 years old, and two years ago I found out about a group of gospel players, who play in a church in Rosston PA every Tuesday evening.I was welcomed . It was my first time playing out, and I really enjoy it.

We have a Lap Steel player, and I play Pedal Steel.

We pack the little church every Tuesday.

Dean
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Tell you a secret guys,play with YOUNG,STRONG,whippersnappers and act pitiful,all the bands I have played in over the last several years were young guys,that helped me with my rig.When I played in the Joey Allcorn band a few years ago,the drummer could sling my MSA D -10 on his right shoulder,grab my NV-112 in his left hand and walk up a tall flight of stairs with ease.and I carry in mikestands,cables,etc,works for me,Those young strong guys ARE good for something. DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

By the way Larry,you spoke of getting a senior discount at Mac Donalds,When I realized I was an old geezer was the FIRST time I got the senior discount WITHOUT asking for it. and the pretty young girls started calling me SIR. All you young whippersnappers out there,be KIND to us old geezers,someday[before you know it] YOU WILL BE ONE. DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Rose Peters

Post by Rose Peters »

My husband is the age bracket as the rest of you still playing as half of a 2 piece band.
He broke his leg last November and missed only 1 play date
Mullen u-12
Peavy Piggyback amp
Dr. Richard Buffington

Senior Gigging

Post by Dr. Richard Buffington »

Charles, It seems like only yesterday that I was so thrilled getting into a job without being carded and now the only ones I think about is McD. and SS
Doc...
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

I,m 69 still playings gigs.Three of the band members are in there 30's. And we play that Hot New Country Music that you don't like :) Joe

www.willowcreekband.com
Chuck Cusimano

Post by Chuck Cusimano »

I'm still a "kid" at 60, and I play four to six nights a week. I play a lot of "Senior Citizen Dances" and I dare a lot of young folks to keep up with some of the Dancin' Seniors I see each week.
Don't confuse a Senior Citizen Dance with an Old Folks Home, and don't play two slow songs in a row!!
(of course don't play very loud either!)
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

Don't play out anymore but I do like to get with other players and Jam....I hope I am still playing when I am the age of Al Marcus, My hero.I am 67 this July and I just don't care about loading up my stuff to play at Weddings, and Parties because of the smoking......RS
Franklin D10 Stereo - 8 and 6 - Black Box-Zum Encore 4 and 5 Nashville 400,Session 400, DD3 for delay ,also Benado Effects pedal.
Steeling with Franklin's..and Zum Encore
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

I got to thinking about the job we will be doing Friday and I realized that I am the youngest on stage. I am 72..........still the kid trying to measure up!
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Thought I was old !! Only 61 but still hacking .
You guys got me beat. What happens when we are gone ?
Bill