How many of you seniors still play gigs?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Smith

How many of you seniors still play gigs?

Post by Joe Smith »

I am 71 and although I have slowed down, I still play at least one or two gigs per month.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I'm 69 and still play at least 3 gigs per week and sometimes 4 or 5 per week but I do gigs one either pedal steel or lead guitar with an occasional bluegrass mandolin gig thrown in at least once or twice a month........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Define "senior" !
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

I'm 70,still play several gigs a month,with the Strokin Dixie band. last year the band played about a 150 dates,little slow right now,hope things pick up I like to work a LOT,I'm a poor old geezer and need the money. DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Chuck Christensen

Senior Gigs

Post by Chuck Christensen »

Hey Joe,I'm over 70 and this month I have 4 and next month, 5 on the books! I thank the LORD I'm still able to play and people like to hear it. Chuck
Derrick Frank

Post by Derrick Frank »

Going on 72, still play with a band, and work with an American singer who has lived here in England for 40yr's.
We play the senior citizens clubs, they love the older type country, the fiddle and a few jokes, we do a couple a week.
We get £75 each, and it helps with the pension.
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

I am only 74 and have been playing my Wednesday nite gig for going on 13 yrs this August with the same band "Ridgerunners" and also play with the "Country Pride" band. Have from 60 to 100 dancers every Wednesday. Do classic country and some 50's rock and can't wait till the next Wednesday gets here. Last Wed was my 865th gig with these same guys. Might say we have a ball!!!
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Gere Mullican

Post by Gere Mullican »

I'll be 77 in June and still play 3 Saturday nights a month. Dwain Birdwell plays the other week. Can't hardly wait to play again tomorrow night.
Eddie Cunningham

Turned 80 last month and still tickin !!

Post by Eddie Cunningham »

Even at 80 we can still enjoy our music !! I play with a band that does the old traditional country music a couple or three nites a month and my old Rick. DW-16 D-8 non-pedal steel fits in just fine !! I hope I can keep going forever !!! Eddie "C" ( the old non-pedal , no reverb , dead string , out-of-work old geezer )
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

Man!! It's great to see that us older guys are still in demand. Like I said before, I have slowed down, but still enjoy playing with the band.
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

Roger Crawford wrote:Define "senior" !
Roger, I guess it's when you are old enough to get the senior's discount when you go out to eat. :D
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Senior dicounts in restaurants start at age 55. :D

ROGER
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

Roger Shackelton wrote:Senior dicounts in restaurants start at age 55. :D

ROGER
Yep, and I always take advantage of it too.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

I just do qualify! I'm 3 to 4 gigs a month average. Has been as many as 6, but that cuts into the home life too much.
Robert Thomas

Post by Robert Thomas »

Hi all, I am now 75 and have been playing at least 12 to 13 times per month for the last 11 years. I just scaled back a short time ago to 6 to 8 times per month. I believe my age is trying to tell me something, but I have been trying my very best to ignore it, but it is getting harder to ignore. Oh well, time will tell!
Sam Lewis

Post by Sam Lewis »

I'll be 79 come August. Still play show/dance at Houston Country in central Arkansas every Sat night Great family place and I have A BALL. One thing I have noticed is that my Steel King, Nashville 112 and Mullin RP have grown a lot, at least they are putting on some weight. Takes a bit more to carry them.
SL D-10, SL U-12,SL SD-10, Custom Tele w/B bender, Steel King, TC300 Effects, Goodrich H-10K pedal, Fender V/T Pedal, Hilton Pedal Elite seat.
Leroy Riggs

Post by Leroy Riggs »

I'm 67. I guess that makes me the 'youngster' in this post.

Yep, I still play out. In fact, I just connected with a new band that wants to play out frequently.

I hope so.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I will be 79 on July 12th. Last year did 136 gigs with Greg Kent and The Lonely Road Band plus 2 steel guitar shows and numerous steel guitar club meetings. Had a small health problem in Feb. and had to give up my job with Lonely Road. Things got better healthwise and I did the Dallas Show and hopefully played OK and am now looking for another band while subbing for other pickers. I hope to be on the OSGA(OKLA) one day show this year on May 23rd. in Tulsa. Jody.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

One of my best buddys,Mr. Shorty Smith in Columbus Ga.[just across the river from me] Still plays every weekend,Think he's 76.He spends the weekdays catching bass,and playing golf,and flirting with pretty girls. DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Andrew Roblin

Post by Andrew Roblin »

Great to you fellows out gigging...and inspiring the rest of us.

Eddie Cunningham invited me to his family luau last year. He inspired me with his beautiful playing on his Rickenbacker DW-16 (some folks call it a 206). Eddie sounded so good with his Jerry Byrd-like style that I wanted to imitate him, so I tracked down a DW-16 for myself.

I hope I can be like Eddie when I grow up.

Andrew
Alan Harrison

73 and still Steel'n

Post by Alan Harrison »

My wife and I spend 4 months in South Texas during the winter, I have worked with the same band four years this last winter.
We play two to four times a week either dances or shows plus play in staff band at two jam sessions each week. I had to slow down some this last February due to back problems.
At 73 years old, I'm not the best player in the world but I'm dependable and no one enjoyes playing any more than I do.
"Put on a new set of Jagwire's in November, just changed them yesterday, none broken and they still sounded great"...alan
Mullen (Black) Pre G-2 9x7, B.L. 705 PUP's, Evans SE 200 Telonics NEO 15-4, BJS Bar, Peterson Strobo Flip, Steelers Choice Seat, Folgers Coffee and Hilton Pedals.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Im 72 and still do four to five a month. Sometimes more but not very often.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I'm 71 and still picking. I have stopped the bar gigs (30 years picking in bars was enough) but that's about all. I do a weekly Tuesday daytime show in the winter "season" (our last show of the season will be this coming Tuesday). I've got the next two NYE gigs booked and our band does some dance jobs, mostly at RV parks. This past February was the 7th year that I've worked(toured)with Tommy Cash here in Florida.

There is nothing on the horizon for the summer except our monthly steel guitar club jams. But that is typical of this and many areas in Florida. I'm going to take the Summer to work on a new instrumental CD.
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

You guys have got me inspired to start playing more. It's 9:00am here in Charlotte and I am fixing to load my stuff in the car and head over to Howren Music in Gastonia NC. They have a jam there every Saturday and I am going to see if they will let me set in. 8)
ollie strong

Post by ollie strong »

I'm coming up to 74 in july,,I have 10 gigs on the books and another 5 by Sept.,duos,3,4,6 piece, plus jams whenever,,I also do some recording at my home studio...most gigs are pre 80 country but still enjoy the odd 'other stuff'...Still learnin