So how is Chicago for steel players?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Todd Pertll

So how is Chicago for steel players?

Post by Todd Pertll »

I am from Chicago originally and have always thought about moving back. Is steel a viable instrument in the city?

Is there work for steel players who don't necessarily want to play in top 40 cover bands?

thanks,

todd
Paul Wade

chicago steel players

Post by Paul Wade »

there is probley a dozen or so steel players here
i myself have play here for 30 years in top 40 or
classic country. i would get in touch with T.C. furlong he knows what's happen in chicago land area
as far as music seen. I.H.O i would stay in texas

p.w :)
www.countyoutlaws.com
Mark Ardito

Post by Mark Ardito »

What Paul said...there are about a dozen of us around in Chicago. The club gigs are not good pay. My band does 3 or 4 hour shows of Honky Tonk/Rockabilly and we get between $300 - $400 for the entire night. Split that 4 ways in the band and all of a sudden it's not that great. Also...there aren't a lot of "country only" clubs in the city, so gigs aren't that plentiful. I do some session work, but that is REAL slow these days. I double up on Mandolin and that helps the gig/studio work. I choose not to play the top 40 country stuff so I don't even take those gigs. I'm sure if you played that stuff you might be able to play at some of the clubs in the suburbs.

Cheers!
Mark
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Mark Ardito wrote: we get between $300 - $400 for the entire night.
You'd better keep that under your hat or else all the steel players will be leaving here for Chicago!
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

The most wonderful sight a Texan can see is the south end of a U-Haul heading north. I'll mention your post to several steel players I've met here in the last few months.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Todd Pertll

Post by Todd Pertll »

Shoot Herb, I was going to ask you for lessons before leaving town!

I don't think I could leave Texas just yet. I heard it just snowed up there this morning.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Shoot Herb, just the other week ago, The wife and I were talking about moving to Texas. I was hoping we'd be neighbors. My wife is from Pecos. Everything is sort of up in the air right now. I love Texas, there's a lot of good people.
Tommy