Any interest in an Atascadero, CA jam session/seminar?

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

John McClung

Any interest in an Atascadero, CA jam session/seminar?

Post by John McClung »

My Atascadero steel-playing friend John Clarke has access to a great venue to host a jam session, or a teaching seminar (I'd be teaching), or even a combo of both.

We're not sure how many players on California's central coast might be interested, so we're looking for signs of interest, and ideas for the possible event, here on the forum.

Atascadero is a picturesque town smack dab in the middle between San Francisco and L.A., just 15 minutes north of San Luis Obispo, about 4 hours from each urban center, so it's easily reachable by lots of California players.

John can actually rent a couple of rooms in his beautiful vintage 2-story home, adjacent to the venue, and there are very reasonable motels in town. Some players may wish to arrive the night before, and if the event becomes a full weekend, lodging would obviously need to be available.

If you think you might be interested in an event like this, please post here, indicating if you prefer jam session only, seminar only, or both, and your current level of playing, beginner/intermediate/pro (just rate yourself however you see fit!). This will only happen if there's enough serious intent to try it.

As far as the instruction aspect and my credentials: I've been teaching E9 for 18 years in Los Angeles, including two 15-session "E9 101" classes (6 students per class) last year that were very successful. My chief goal is to train musicians who happen to play pedal steel, so you'll learn how to listen and understand song structure and melody, and then how to find correct chords and melodies based on that analytical understanding and ear training.

Thanks for your feedback and ideas!
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I think it's a great idea. Would love to jam, maybe even a lesson too. I have family and friends I could stay with. Maybe we can make it a mini convention and get a few hotshots to do some showcases. :D

Dave
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Dave, a convention is not a bad idea! It's certainly odd that California so far has never had a big show/convention like Dallas or St. Louis.

And Atascadero or somewhere near there makes logistical sense, midway between the big urban areas.

However...if we do this, our intention is just to start with a small event to test the waters. Where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

:)
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

Tom Bradshaw has hosted some past CA conventions... I went to the one in Walnut Creek (east bay area), players were greats, Scotty, Herb Remington, Jimmy Day... ect..., but that was in 1995 (I know, I met Bud Carter and ended up ordering my S12 (thank god :) ).

So much for ancient history..., I would absolutely love to have a jam in that area... Pismo Beach is my favorite little corner of the world (other than my mountain canyon :) ).

Great idea John... and for you N. steelers who don't know John... he would be THE man to take steel lessons from, a truly complete knowledge of both E9th and C6th.

.... and then there's that winery manager in Avilla Beach, who used to play steel for Jamie Frickie :)
Dave Wren
'96 Carter U12,7X7; 1936 7 string National; Line 6 HX Stomp; Quilter TT-15/TB202; Quilter "Steelaire"; DV Mark "GH 250"with 15" 1501 BW; Boss "Katana" 100 Head w/Line 6 Cab; Telonics VP.
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

John et all, yup I'd come on down for this. And Dave, you are one of those "hotshots" that will now get to do one of those showcasey things.

SS
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Thanks Steve but I think of myself more as a humble side man that get's the job done. I was thinking JayDee and Bobby Black would be a better choice for a steel showcase.

Anyhow Steve, I'm playing over the hill from you at Moe's Alley on the 17th of April. I'll buy your beer! :)

Keep us posted John!

DZ
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

How can I resist free beer to listen to you Dave?
I'll see you there!

SS
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

You'll put up with anything for free beer......

John My rating would be intermediate. Is there a possibility of doing C6 seminars if there is enough interest?
DZ
Dave Zirbel-
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Mr. Wren, thanks for the very kind compliments. Truth be told, I'm very strong on E9, and way behind on C6...so I teach E9 and leave it at that, at least for now!

Keep those cards and letters coming, folks.
E9 INSTRUCTION
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

Count me in....

Danny
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Danny, are you the winery manager referenced above? If so, which winery? Aren't you the recent immigrant from Texas? How's Avila Beach treating you? Great little town. They scraped away all the bad sand a few years back, right?
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

ban the dupes! How'd that happen?
Last edited by John McClung on 22 Apr 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

ban the dupes! How'd that happen?
Last edited by John McClung on 22 Apr 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

Yes... Kelsey See Canyon Vineyards in See Canyon. Avila is great and the music scene is nice as well. Although I've been coming here for 30 years, I've never paid close attention to the music scene here (other than a few pickup gigs here and there), but have been pleasantly surprised.

The Atascadero deal sounds fun. Let me know how I can help.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

///
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

Great idea! I'd be interested in seminar and jam. When were you thinking of doing this?
Patrick Hattic

Atascadero

Post by Patrick Hattic »

Yes, I'm interested
Edward Efira

Post by Edward Efira »

Ditto, do you have a date in mind?
Ed
<small><b>'75 Sho-Bud 4&4, '01 Zumsteel 8&8, 2012 Zum Hybrid 4&6</b></small>
Ross Shafer

Steel get together in Atascadero

Post by Ross Shafer »

I'm a rank beginner, but I'm very interested and would sure try to make it. maybe some of us Norcal guys could car pool.

Ross
b0b

Post by b0b »

It's a long drive, but I might be able to attend a one-day jam in Atascadero.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Jay Dee Maness

Post by Jay Dee Maness »

I might be up for this too.
Kerry Johnson

Post by Kerry Johnson »

Depending on the date, I may be able to attend the jam also.

Kerry
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

This is looking good! I think it's a great idea! Hey Jim Eaton... this isn't toooo far from your stompin' grounds :) Hey Dave Zirbel, you could ride down with b0b :)

Thanks for instigating this John! Hope it pans out.
Dave Wren
'96 Carter U12,7X7; 1936 7 string National; Line 6 HX Stomp; Quilter TT-15/TB202; Quilter "Steelaire"; DV Mark "GH 250"with 15" 1501 BW; Boss "Katana" 100 Head w/Line 6 Cab; Telonics VP.
Terry Hickey

Post by Terry Hickey »

John,
I'll be there....

Terry
Gordy Hall

Post by Gordy Hall »

Depending on the time and my health, I'd be interested in lessons...and some jamming.

Beginner level, of course.

Sounds like fun...

Gordy
Dekley S-10, tangled fingers and feet