Promised Pix of newly built case... thanks for forums help.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Frank Bradley

Promised Pix of newly built case... thanks for forums help.

Post by Frank Bradley »

Just built this new case for my D10 BMI. I carpeted the interior and sprayed "pickup truck bedliner" material on the exterior. I used brass and stainless hardware plus 4 casters and 2 handles to make hauling it about alot easier. Lots of room for those extra things I don't have room for in my pack-seat. Total build time... one full day.
Image Thanks for the many suggestions on my earlier post.
Vintage BMI D-10/8-7, Goodrich 6122 pedal, Fender Twin Reverb.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Nice job Frank, that looks great!
Frank Bradley

Post by Frank Bradley »

Thanks Tom. I really enjoyed building it.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Frank, that case looks great! I hope you took a lot of detailed pics as you were building it.
I will contact you on email.
Bent
Frank Bradley

Post by Frank Bradley »

Hi Bent... No I didn't take any pix during the build. Wish I had, but I was too caught up in what I was doing to think about it. I got your email and responed back to you. Good luck on your build.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Frank, that's a real nice looking job you did.

Congrats!

Don
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Nice looking case. The bedliner material is something I never thought of - interesting.

I've built my own cases and even one time in the 70's Bruce Zumsteg asked me about building his cases, but I didn't want to get into building on that scale. I built a two piece case for my Franklin D-10 last year.

The only comment is that I use four catches instead of two. Maybe "overkill" but if a catch breaks and you only have two to start with there isn't much holding it. I also use "padded" handles (I removed the handle similar to yours on my Steeler's Choice sidekick seat and replaced that with a padded handle and it's much better when carrying).
Frank Bradley

Post by Frank Bradley »

Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't find anyone locally who carried padded handles, I plan to replace them when I do. As far as the "bed liner spray"... it's working out okay, being its out of a can. Would be much better if done professionally by "rhino"... would have been more costly. I may end up covering it with carpet or tolex. Time will tell on how it holds up. I thought about offering my services to the forum members who want a case built. I might do it if there's enough interest... anyone interested in their personal "Bubba Swillhawg" case? Let me know.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

This is the handle I used on both of my two piece case set and what I replaced the non-padded handle on the end of my Steeler's Choice seat. Much easier to carry with the "padded" handles.

CLICK ME

I also buy my case hardware (corners catches, etc) from parts express. I had a commercial account back in the 70's and 80's with Ohio Travel Bag company in Cleveland, for case hardware, but after retiring I don't do much case (or any seat) building.