Buddy Bryant passes away

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Laurie Ayres

Post by Laurie Ayres »

Charles: Although Roy & I missed getting to know Buddy, I think we must have missed a great, loving man. We will keep his family and his friends in our prayers. Roy & I was just discussing that so many of our friends have died in this community that even St. Louis won't be the same this year but we look forward to seeing the rest of our friends and will surly think of the ones who are gone to a better place. May God comfort you all. Laurie & Roy
Charles Tilley

A loving man

Post by Charles Tilley »

I think we must have missed a great, loving man.

No question about that Laurie.
Carrie Horn

My Granddaddy

Post by Carrie Horn »

Hello to everyone. First I'd like to say a special thanks to Charles Tilley. Without his help this horrible news would not have been shared. My granddad loved all of you. He talked about all his friends and about the music and shows all the time. He would be thrilled to see that he made another headline. I just wish it could have been on a happier note.
I think some of you may have it wrong about me being his rock. He was MY rock. I miss my granddad. I loved him more than you can imagine. We've been side by side for so long that now I can't even walk straight, I keep running into the walls. I don't know what I'm going to do now. I may need ya'lls help to get through this. You all had a special place in his heart, and mine too. It's a real comfort to know so many people loved him. He was the real McCoy. Loyal and true.
He was so proud of the little "jam" he held at the farm after the dallas show. I want to thank those who made it to this last show. Ya'll don't even know how happy he was. I'm thankful that he made to the dallas show one more time. He looked forward to it all year. I'm thankful he got to see everybody and got to visit one last time. Going to the show was our "thing". Me and my Granddad. I've lost my better half.
Please feel free to email me. chorn12@hot.rr.com
Share your stories of him with me. I need all the help I can get right now. Sharing the love is a good dose of medicine.
Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers. I'll be back again. :cry:
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Carrie thank you for posting here about Buddy.
In deed he is loved by many. I was among the folk at his last jam there at the Steel Mill and I'm so glad I made it for his last jam. I'm always the last one to leave it seems, but one day was always "just not enough"
I know from our little talks that Buddy is at that BIG JAM now, with our Lord Jesus, I will never forget my friend Buddy Bryant, ever.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
b0b

Post by b0b »

I'm so sorry to hear this. Buddy was a great guy. I always loved his folksy MC style - "My favorite steel player".

My condolences to Carrie and the rest of Buddy's family. There wasn't another like him - an American original.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

Sad,sad news,
It is with a very heavy heart that I read the news of my dear friend Buddys passing. He was a very dear friend, and has been for many,many years.He had a fierce love of the steel guitar, and its many players.They were all not only friends, but his 'family'.
I am so glad he felt like putting on his 'barbecue'
, and picking jam this year.He was in seventh heaven to have his picking friends come out and enjoy the music, and the food.And I thank him for always extending me an invitation.
We had a great time this year, and Buddy was , as always, the perfect host..making sure each of us had whatever we needed.He was our "favorite host"..
Mr Buddy, we miss you already, and send our thoughts and prayers to your family, and family of friends. May our Great Redeemer hold each in His comforting hands, and help ease the pain, and comfort us.
Miss Carrie you are especially in our hearts and prayers, as this will be very sad and painful for you.May He comfort you, and bring to you peace, comfort, and understanding.
Peace and love ,
RP...'come on in'...
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

I met Buddy Bryant in the mid 1960's when he and I both lived in Tyler, Texas. He was a good friend and I will miss him. Rest in peace, Brother.
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

I just learned of Buddy's passing. Really a sad situation for the TSGA and the steel world and the hundreds of friends he so easily acquired. Buddy was one of a kind; a great guy, always smiling even when he didn't feel so well. I was privileged to enjoy a jam or two at his farm, and to partake of his great Texas BBQ! Buddy came to AZ a few years ago and MC'd the SWSGA show...and it was never done any better. We miss you Buddy, you know we love you and will meet again someday.

Billy and Meriul Easton
Las Vegas, NV
Merrill & Vangie Fich

Post by Merrill & Vangie Fich »

Our hearts are broken at the loss of our dear friend, Buddy. We can only imagine the rejoicing in Heaven when Buddy entered Heaven's gates! We met him the year he came to Arizona for the SWSGA show. We got to attend several of his "after Dallas" BBQ jams. What great times! He was always a blessing to everyone. Carrie, our love and prayers are with you. I know your heart is breaking! You have our number..call anytime you want to! One of these days we'll join Buddy again in Heaven.
Zum d10-11, Infinity D 10, NV112,NV400, line 6 pod xt, Gretsch Country Gentleman[1967] Telonics VP. Telonics pickups 1956 Gibson EBO Bass
Roy Rosetta

Buddy Bryant's Generosity to TSGA Benevolent Fund

Post by Roy Rosetta »

I will miss Buddy Bryant because he was such a fine man and good friend. He could always make you smile.

Buddy was also very giving, he never failed to make a
generous cash donation to the TSGA Benevolent Fund. He would always look me up to make sure he was a part of our fundraiser.

He gave generously this year and told me he wanted to always help those less fortunate. What a wonderful heart he had.

Yes, I will miss my friend.

Barbara Rosetta
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy
jim flynn

Saddened to say the least

Post by jim flynn »

My condolences to the Bryant family. This is a terrible loss to them and the steel guitar community.
He was a terrific person.
God Bless.
Jim Flynn, Lone Star Steel Guitar, Salado Tx.
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

good grief Whats next? My condolences to the family
Jody Cameron

Post by Jody Cameron »

I'm so sorry to hear this. Buddy was a great guy and a true friend. I saw him in Dallas this year, and the last thing he said to me was "I love you, Jody"...well Buddy I love you too, and like Russ said, I'll see you again.

Carrie, you have my sincerest sympathies as well. I thought the world of your Grandad, and I know you will always miss him. JC
Carrie Horn

My Granddaddy

Post by Carrie Horn »

Well, I buried my Granddaddy today. This has been the hardest day of my life. I would like to thank Jody Sanders, Charles Tilley, Albert Talley, David Wright, Mark Giles, W.J. Copeland, and everyone else who came to Granddad's funeral (Sorry if I didn't get all your names listed. It's been a emotional ride today). It was a blessing to me to get to see you guys. I love you all.
I am so blessed to have known such a wonderful person. My Granddad was my best friend. He taught me just about everything I know. And some of the lessons he taught me were quite painful. I learned from a swift kick in the pants, from a pinch, from a thump on the head, or a kick to the shins. He didn't mess around when I screwed up. His favorite saying was "Do you want me to take you outside and we scatter some gravel?" In which I always replied "No, Granddad." and I did what he told me to do. I loved the man with all my heart and soul. This was the one trip that I couldn't be his "D.D". But believe me if I could have gone with him I would have. I miss him terribly. The service was beautiful. It was very befitting of the type of person he was. He would have loved every minute of it.
God Bless each and everyone of you and please keep in touch. If I don't see ya'll at any of the monthly meetings I'll see you at the Dallas show next year. I can't not go. It's to precious to me. As are the memories of my Granddaddy.
I love you always, Granddad and hope to see you soon.

Carrie :cry:
George Piburn

Giving and Sharing Person Dedicated to the Future of Steel

Post by George Piburn »

Buddy and Charles both have planted so many Seeds of Life into the steel guitar community by hosting the Talent Night at the TSGA.

:D George Boards Piburn
Darrell Hodges

Post by Darrell Hodges »

Christmas 2008 I met Buddy for the first time when he and Carrie took time out from their family to make my best Chritmas's ever. He and my wife secretly had made a deal to allow me to get my first steel guitar, which was a dream I had for a long time. He began to give free lessons with the purchase and we became dear freinds. He made it seem that we had known each other forever. I am really going to miss him until we meet again. My heart goes out to the family, especially Carrie who was by his side almost all of the time. God bless all of you and keep in touch!

Darrell Hodges
dalo82@yahoo.com

PS I'll bet he is having the angles turn their harps on their sides and using pics and a metal bar they are making more beautiful music than ever!!!
Buck Grantham

Buddy

Post by Buck Grantham »

I don,t think Buddy ever met a stranger. He was a super nice guy and we all loved him. The Dallas show will not be the same without him. Love, Buck & Mitzi
Music to light up your life
Paul Polish

Post by Paul Polish »

Carrie, I just saw this post.
I'm so sorry to hear of Buddy's passing. Always enjoyed his smiling face at the Dallas show and his B-B-Q at the annual Christmas party for the TSGA.
He will be missed a lot. The thursday night show will never be the same with out him.
Our love,prayers and condolences are sent to you and your family.
Love Paul and Dee
Joe McHam

Tribute!

Post by Joe McHam »

We are saddened by the loss of another Steel Guitar Community member. Buddy has been added to the growing list of our steel guitar heros.. Please stop by and sign his guest book. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.
http://www.joemcham.net/Memories/index.html Click on the photos to access their site.
Houston, TX
Excel Superb S-12 8&5
Fender Princeton Amp.
Peavey Vegas Amp.
Casio PG-380 midi guitar
Ham Radio WA5OKT
Private Pilot SEL
Carrie Horn

Granddaddy

Post by Carrie Horn »

It's nearly midnight. I'm not sleeping much these last few days. :cry: It's hard to put one foot in front of the other and move forward. Every thing I see, every song I hear, everything triggers a memory of Granddad. I guess that's good. I don't know.

Thank you to Paul and Dee and everybody for the kind words. I check this forum every single day just to see the posts about Granddad. Whether there's new posts or not, I read them over and over. It helps. I went online and created a memorial for Granddad. Please look it up and sign the guestbook.

memorialwebsites.legacy.com/BuddyBryant

John 16:22 And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.

This verse makes me feel better.
God Bless you all.

Love,
Carrie
Randy Gilliam

Prayers

Post by Randy Gilliam »

Prayers for Buddy Bryants Family In these Troubled Times, May The Lord Be With you . Randy Gilliam.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Hang in there Carrie. There is a multitude of your friends out here praying for you and GOD will take care of everything. Love you, Jody.
Merrill & Vangie Fich

Post by Merrill & Vangie Fich »

Carrie, your scrapbook of Buddy should arrive on Thursday. I hope it brings you comfort. I'll email you the tracking number. Love you!
Zum d10-11, Infinity D 10, NV112,NV400, line 6 pod xt, Gretsch Country Gentleman[1967] Telonics VP. Telonics pickups 1956 Gibson EBO Bass
Bobby Bowman

Buddy and Carrie

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Carrie,
You and Buddy put a lot of HAPPY into my life. For that I am thankful.
Grand Daddy was so proud of you and gave you his love without reservation.
Through your new love for Christ in your life, let Buddy's love for mankind live on through you.
May the Peace and Comfort of Jesus be yours and know that I love you too.

Your friend,
BB
Bobby Bowman
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!
http://www.bobbybowman.com
Carrie Horn

Post by Carrie Horn »

Just a short note to say hi to everybody and to see how everybody is doing. I am doing ok. And that just about sums it up.

Vangie, the scrapbook has worked miracles for me. I am finding peace and comfort by having it. Thank you. I love you guys.

Charles Tilley, I'm slowly mending. I am very lucky for having you as my friend. Thank you. I love you too.

I think of all of you often. Everyday actually. I am so blessed to have all of these wonderful memories of Granddad and our steel guitar family. I hurt everyday but it lessens with each passing day. And I can smile easier when Granddad enters my thoughts. He's never more than an inch away.

I guess I'll go for now. I miss the emails and wanted to check on ya'll.

Thanks again for everything.
Lots of love to each and every one of you and God Bless you.
Carrie :)