That Mod Wow

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

J PARKER

Look at this

Post by J PARKER »

Here is my almost new Mullen and man does it play and sound good with that Max Tone mod on it. Took it to the Dallas show and had lots of comments on the guitar. All Positive. I will be playing thses at several places out and the next few steel shows as well. Keep up the good work Mullen and the Max Tone Mod folks aS well.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Okay gang, we've had 11 pages of comments, but no mention of a price? Why all the secrecy around this? Yeah, I've seen the "each one is different" statement, but that gives me no clue at all about the green "green". Could we at least have a high/low price spread? $100?, $250? $500? $750? What was the most expensive one done so far, and what was the cheapest one? How much did yours cost??? With so many happy customers chimimg in, we ought to at least be able to get an idea of what the average bill might be.

:eek:
Billy Carr
Restricted

Mullen

Post by Billy Carr »

Hey JP, I see you still like blue! Got any parts for this one? See you on the 25th.
Chris Lang

Post by Chris Lang »

Well, Donny, I can bore down a couple of wood screws into the changer for next to nothing. I don't know why those famous pro model builders cannot get their guitars right the first time. :lol:

Wonder how they stay in business?

:|

I know what. Lets rename this thread "That mod.... Whew!"
:\
Brad Malone

Things a re slowing

Post by Brad Malone »

It has been about 21 days since we had our last new testimonial about the Mod...the list is still at 19..not many for the length of time this thread has been running...Jeremy Drawbaugh from Al is my last entry....if I missed someone, let me know
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

DONNY the cost of doing a MOD is around $200 to $225 per neck of guitar and of course if you want the new pick-ups or having them rewound then that is added plus shipping back to the customer, some want other custom work as well so all depends on what your desire's are. HOPE this helped your knowledge base if you need any further ?? answered please call me at 205-658-1005 if i'm out please leave a message and your number I'll return your call asap thanks.
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

What is meant by the handlapping of a key head. Is, this a mod or redesigning a guitar???
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

bump
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i notice that many people with positive reports are from the loozeeanna missipipi abalama region. pardon my spelling..just wondered if 'the mod' strikes a certain ethnic nerve more than others?

ps..not meaning to be political or religious, as i have been edited for that before. i'm from california and welcome all west coast (left coast..hahaha) jokes with no hard feelings.
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

I would hazard a guess that fewer people from the rest of the country have personally heard a MaxTone guitar. And most of the people expressing doubts about the Mod have NEVER heard it.

It isn't necessary to understand how an improvement is done to appreciate it. I've read and listened several time to Jeff Lace's explanation of the Alumitone, and I still have no idea how it can work, and be loud. But people are praising it after they try it.
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

I agree with you Rich, if some one wants to use Tommys Mod, thats between them and Tommy. If it works and your happy thats all that matters, NO MATTER WHERE THEIR FROM, Let the man do his thing and time will tell the end results.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

tbhenry wrote:What is meant by the handlapping of a key head. Is, this a mod or redesigning a guitar???
"Hand-lapping" is a common machinists term. It's a method of (usually) grinding, sanding, or polishing parts to get a better fit. As to "hand-lapping" a keyhead, I have no idea what that might mean as far as it's use in Tommy's mod process.
Billy Carr
Restricted

mod

Post by Billy Carr »

Lots of TY friends over here in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. The next used guitar you purchase could easily be a modded guitar without you knowing it. They're everywhere. ( Some modded D-10's even play themselves!) Another free ad for the MODMAN. Go TY!
Chris Lang

Post by Chris Lang »

Donny said:
"Hand-lapping" is a common machinists term. It's a method of (usually) grinding, sanding, or polishing parts to get a better fit. As to "hand-lapping" a keyhead, I have no idea what that might mean as far as it's use in Tommy's mod process.
Maybe he means "hand clapping".

And:
IMHO, I think it might be hard for Tommy to acquire a patent on his "tone mod". He has said his "mod" does not add or remove parts, and does not require machining, and that makes it more a tweaking procedure than an invention.
Adjustments. Indeed Donny, indeed!

:lol:
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

I guess that sometime after the hand lapping comes the hand clapping or perhaps the handringing depending on the sound!!!!!!!!!!!
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Hey Ttommy lets make the Fulton show next year, have not seen you since dallas, the guitars you had there this year sure sounded good, mabe one day we will get to mine when I settle down on one for good. am trading to get a Professional back ike the org, rack and barrel, could be then I can get Nan back She is still mad couse I had Coop parts put on mine and ruined the tone. And had to sell it cause she did not like the sound after that mod.

ernie
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

She is still mad couse I had Coop parts put on mine and ruined the tone. And had to sell it cause she did not like the sound after that mod.

Huh?