hard to believe

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

tomsteel

hard to believe

Post by tomsteel »

I,m just a weekend player.Over the last 25 yrs or so everyone or at least alot of people say the same thing about the steel guitar.After looking at it they will say things like,,,what is that,,or nice keyboard,,,or I,ve seen one of those on TV, or I,ve never seen one up close.Even when I,ve played in around Nashville I,ve had alot of people say the same things.It is hard to believe that for the most part,,,,the steel guitar was almost invented 10-20 miles away from some of these places,The country music capital of the world they say,,?At least most everyone says that they love the steel guitar sound.Its just hard to believe...Thomas Malugin
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I know.....it's easy to make assumptions like that. I always assume that if I meet someone from Texas, they must know what a steel guitar is. I met a woman from Austin a few months ago. When she told me where she lived, I said, "Well, you must know what a steel guitar is." She replied, "Ya, isn't that what Stevie Ray Vaughn plays?" :lol:
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

After the same amount of years I have come to accept that the vast majority of people know little about steel guitar. Many know what it is but that's where it stops. And that's OK. When they ask, and that's about every time I play, they are truly curious and I enjoy telling and showing them. Often I'll invite them up to the stage, I'll sit down for a minute or two and play while I describe a few things. Everyone is very nice and courteous and I think they enjoy the hands-on demonstration.

What still amazes me are the musicians who know little or nothing about the instrument. Many of the jobs I play have sidemen who have never played with a steel player. Last night, the bass player said he had never played with a steel player because we were "scarce as hen's teeth."

On that subject, I did an interesting gig at an popular eclectic club where there were several bands throughout the night. We had never played there before. Anyway, by the end of our set there were many young musicians in their 20's standing off stage watching me play. It wasn't because I'm a great player (I really am not) but it was because they were fascinated with the instrument.
tomsteel

hard to believe

Post by tomsteel »

I have played with alot of guitar players who have never played with a steel player.Its kind of funny how people even look at us...I was playing at this line dance club,no drinking or smoking,a family place.Ther was always alot of people there.Big dance floor as well.It was so funny after we started playing,the people would be dancing and twirling around two stepping,,,all the while twisting their necks back and forth to keep me in their view,as if they were mesmorized.It did make me feel good.All those hours of practice........Thomas Malugin
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

Well, I'm not even a weekend player. And I have a lot of people, especially young people, fascinated by my strument as well. I have even had some pretty good dobro players come up and ask how I'm getting all those chords (non pedal). It's funny how something we take for granted can be so completely unknown by others.
Amor vincit omnia
Connie Mack

Post by Connie Mack »

i've had trouble describing a steel to people, but once they hear it, they go....ohhhhh, that's where that sound comes from...
82'sho-bud u-12, frankendekely u-12, bride of frankendekley u-12, a whole mess of other instruments...finger still messed up but getting better...
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

I think this exchange, posted by a few folks on the comments section of a youtube video of Mashall Tucker Band playing "Fire on the mountain" is a pretty good indicator of the general public's idea of what a steel guitar is. Btw, I posted the correct answer, but for whatever reason, my post wasn't included in this exchange:
rolldembonez (1 week ago) Show Hide +1 Marked as spam Reply
whats that instrument called that makes the cool noises? synthesizer? i want to learn how to play it.
TheTripOnline (1 week ago) Show Hide +1 Marked as spam Reply
peddle steel guitar
nytterepos247 (1 week ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam Reply
Harmonic Steel flat guitar W/ carryover bar , Thats what gives it it's echo sound !!
I have to say, that last answer, about the harmonic steel flat guitar and carryover bar is one I've never heard before! :eek:
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I've given up my campaign to change the name to TIFKATPSG (The Instrument Formerly Known As The Pedal Steel Guitar)

I tried, but you guys just wouldn't listen. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm gonna go eat some worms.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

I've heard they're great with ketchup. :D
Amor vincit omnia
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

As far as I can tell most people are not even aware that music is organized sound. The concept that there are individual musical instruments that make the different sounds is way to advanced for all but the most dedicated music fan.
Bob
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

The best misnomer I've heard yet is "Table top string thingy."
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

I had an unbelievable axperience once after a afternoon family gathering gig in a small village in the north of Sweden. An old man stepped up to me after the gig and i knew what was comnig, i thought...
But instead of the usual "what's that?" he knocked me off my feet by complimenting me for my tasteful pedal steel playing and tone. Almost had a heart failure.

A local club that has a piture gallery on their website published a pic of me playing steel, with the comment "behind the keyboard". :\

I've lost count of the times singers have introduced me to the audience as lap steel player too...
1983 Emmons D10 SKH, Carter SD10, Nashville 112, Session 500, ProfexII, Lapsteels, GT-Beard reso, guitars of all kinds...
http://www.myspace.com/ulfedlund
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

Playing with my dad`s swing band with the vibes and steel at the front of the stage....
After three sets a guy comes over to me to tell how much he likes the fat sound of two keyboard bands.
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Ernie Pollock

Yes!!

Post by Ernie Pollock »

I think the most I have been questioned about the steel guitar was when I played the keyless models [Kline S-12Us, Kline D-10, & the HMS Keyless] they always wanted to know 'what the heck is that thing', I never like how they use the word thing either!! A guy begged me to go to a fellows house one time with my steel [that one was a Klne S-12U] where they were playing bluegrass, no sooner had I got there then they stared making fun of the steel guitar, when they took turns playing, they went right past me. One guy said next time, don't bring that thing bring a dobro, well believe me, there was never a next time. I could hardly wait to get out of there!!
Bluegrass music still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to this very day, although I must admit, I play several bluegrass tunes on a 'real' instrument, the steel guitar.

Ernie :whoa:
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

One time I was playing on a stage that was about two feet higher than the dance floor. A couple came up and bent way over to look under the steel to see what I was doing. Of course, I knew the next question.