Steel Guitar Clean-Up

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Keith Banning

Steel Guitar Clean-Up

Post by Keith Banning »

Hi All,

I have a a Sho-Bud LDG that needs some cleaning up. Any suggestions on what to use on the wood finish and what to use to polish/brighten up the hardware? Looks like a bit of a project. I don't want to do any damage to the finish or hardware finish obviously.

Also, who does nice professional Sho-Bud restoration these days? I checked with Jeffrey Surratt but he's pretty busy with new guitars.

Thanks,
Keith
Randy Gilliam

Redo

Post by Randy Gilliam »

Ricky Davis Does Great Work. Randy ;-)
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Ricky Davis.
Tim Woodall

Post by Tim Woodall »

Ricky Davis did a great job on mine
Tim Woodall
www.grasscats.com
Sho-Bud 6139 Ricky Davis overhauled with Coop parts
Johnny Thomasson

Post by Johnny Thomasson »

Ricky made mine look and play like it just came from the factory.
Johnny Thomasson
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Ricky is the un-contested "Shobud whisperer". Ricky's 'de man!!
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

On the keys and the down near the roller I would recomend Mothers Aluminum polish. I put on the aluminum trim on my Emmons and it looks like a brand new guitar. BTW I also used it on my pedal rack too.
Talk about shine, when the light hits it.
Tommy
Bob Mainwaring

Post by Bob Mainwaring »

The "ONLY" aluminum polish I've ever used for anything made and polished originaly out of aluminum is Solvol Autosol.
It comes in a toothpaste sized tube. I used/sold it for many years in a motorcycle business and even polishing little scratches in something like a plastic wristwatch dial covering will eliminate them.

All Z.B.est.

Bob Mainwaring
Keith Banning

Post by Keith Banning »

I tried a little bit of Flitz (because it's what I had on hand) and it seemed to polish it a little better...but not w/o great effort. I'll check out some of these other suggested products.

Thanks guys.
Keith
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

You can clean the body (lacquer and mica) with a good car cleaner for clear coat finishes. Then put a good car wax over it. It'll make a world of difference. As for the aluminum, Mothers alum mag polish works great. I've sanded the endplates before and then worked them with Mothers and they come out with a mirror finish.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

On this little S-10, I used Mequiar's Professional Swirl Remover 2.0. Did that 3 or 4 times. Then, believe it or not, Nu Finish once a year car polish. The stuff in the orange container. Couple coats of that. Mequiar's Show Car Glaze. Couple coats of that too.
I polished all the changer parts, the keyhead and the Grover's on my bench buffer. Sanded the endplates and rack up to 1200 wet and dry, then took them to a plating/ polishing company in Cleveland. I think he charged me $30. After I took this pic, I removed the white residue with an old, worn out, soft toothbrush.
Daniel Eaton

Tripoly Black

Post by Daniel Eaton »

Tripoly Black and then another round of Tripoly brown. I just finished my Pro 2 and for a left handed screwdriver type person it looks pretty good. I do advise that you tie back any long hair if you're going to use a dremel on small parts and your eyes are as bad as mine. I have a one inch round bald spot in the middle of my left cheek.And did I mention there are times I'm not very smart either
Sho-Bud D10 With 8 & 4
Peavey Reno