Webb 6-14E amp service/tune-up, Sarno mod and more

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Ken, I have two Webb 614-E's, the older one, #752, is very "hissy" as the volume I play at goes up. The other amp, #920, is hissy, just less so.

The hiss diminishes as I roll off the Sensitivity knob. The older amp I bought new in about 1978, and it used to be very quiet. I normally play with Sensitivity at near max, and Volume at about 3, very low. It still has great tone, but the noise is getting intolerable.

Does your mod eliminate this obnoxious noise? My NV400 is much quieter, by comparison.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I would suspect those old caps are getting very noisy. I just did an older Musicman and a Peavey tube amp this weeks with similar issues! New caps did the job on them for sure.

I replace every electrolytic cap in the Webbs as well as the tone caps. It makes for a very nice sounding amp.

I also carry all the transistors in the Webbs, pilots lights, most of the pots as well.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Ken, are you saying the refresh you do SHOULD eliminate the hiss in a Webb, or WILL eliminate the hiss? Do you plug in a Webb guts through an external speaker before and after to assess the actual sound improvements? Thanks!
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

It might well take care of it. If not it well due to be done on these older amps. Those caps are quite old!!

Any other noise would likely be transistor noise. Without it on the bench there is no way to tell 100 percent.

I use a shop test speaker and I also load test with a sine wave for signal, a large resistor bank for a load and a scope to check the output signal.
have several reverb tanks and cable assemblies to test the amps as well (as there were variations over the years)

For sure, it would not leave my shop with any strange noises!!
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Sounds great, Ken, I'll be in touch. You modded my ProFex II a few years back and that was a great improvement.
E9 INSTRUCTION
David Pinkston

Webb upgrade question

Post by David Pinkston »

Ken-

Is there a way to know if a Webb would benefit from an upgrade? Are there any tell-tale signs that would let you know you should service it. It's not using much oil so it may be okay...
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

One of the great benefits is replacing all of the electrolytic caps in the amp. If it is an early amp it will benefit from that for sure.

I also change the audio coupling caps from the cheaper electrolytic caps to nice film caps in both the preamp and the power amp. The caps in the tone control section are also changed to film caps. So far all I get is real positive feedback about the tone of the modded amp!

I really think it is not so much a mod as new and better parts. We are not redesigning any circuits in the amp.

I check for dirty pots and clean them if needed. I also clean the rotary switch for the 3 tone settings. Jacks are cleaned as well. The amp is load tested on a load bank rated for 400 watts to verify the amp is putting out full power.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Just ordered more kits. Will have then in a few days.

Average 1 day turn around at this time.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Ken, in both my old Webbs, the hiss almost disappears when the EQ 5-band section is turned on. Why is that? I would think adding more controls would add more noise and problems.

I don't need any EQ from that section, but may use it until I get them serviced by you.
E9 INSTRUCTION
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

The preamp always feeds the EQ input. The EQ switch connects the power amp input to the preamp out or the EQ out (which is always connected to the EQ board input).

So if it is quieter it could be a bad switch or perhaps the EQ is filtering out some of the noise.

Hard to saw total without putting it on the bench for check-up
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bump
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Ken modded my '78 model, and actually got to hear it in use at the Northwest Georgia Steel Guiar Show in Atlanta on 2/8/09. You wouldn't believe the number of compliments I had on how the Webb/Mullen G2 combo sounded. Thanks, Ken!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

We have have kits on hand and have about a one to two day turn around.

Will be closed for the Dallas show.

We are not installing kits or working at the show. Look forward to seeing everyone at the show!!!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bump
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Have kits and ready to go to work!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bump
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

We will get all repairs and mods out that are in not later than Monday, July 13.

We will also have two weeks closure around labor day, to be announced later.

Thanks again for all the work from the Steel Guitar Forum. We are proud to be of service!!!

Ken and Ruth Fox
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bump