My First Rodeo

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charles Davidson

My First Rodeo

Post by Charles Davidson »

Have played mud boggs,drag races,basketball games,baseball games,county fairs,tonight played my FIRST rodeo,the 13th annual rodeo in Roenoke Ala,maybe 3000 in the crowd,Got to see some bulls kick some cowboy butt. DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Ben Hoare

Post by Ben Hoare »

Id imagine your Rodeos are like ours Charles.Ive done a few I still find the dust something to conquer for a steel player,haven't yet.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Ben,the dust was no problem,this is the first day in awhile we have'nt had downpours,BUT you had to watch out for the horse and cow patties scattered around, DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Ben Hoare

Post by Ben Hoare »

Ive sat at my steel watching clouds of dust cover my old steel wishing for a downpour.Mind you I live in Australia we get used to clouds of dust.I do enjoy a rodeo though Charles,they are good for the soul.
Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

Charles
I have done a lot of Rodeo Gigs.....not keen on the small local ones where you are set up on ground level in the dust...or in the local Hall on a twelve inch stage......mainly ços of the fights and worried about damage to the equipment.....but dont mind ones like Mount Isa...way out west..or Cloncurry...Six foot stages....no worries
The dust and Hay in the guitar is no wory...a can of compressed Air fixes that
Tony
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Time to clean the rig then! :lol: :lol:
A.K.A Chappy.
Larry Bressington

Time to clean the rig then! Use a paintbrush for the electronics :lol: :lol:
A.K.A Chappy.
Larry Bressington

Time to clean the rig then!
:lol: :lol: Use a paint brush for the electronics faces.
A.K.A Chappy.
Larry Bressington

Bump.
A.K.A Chappy.
Larry Bressington

Bump.
A.K.A Chappy.
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

I used to play a small rodeo in Lake Luzerne, NY many years ago. It was a Saturday night gig, over at about 11 P.M., then we'd go inside the bar room and play until 3 A.M. I did that all summer. We had a small elevated bandstand near the chutes. It was a lot of fun and quite an experience, but, cleaning up after the weekend was quite a chore. We also played Friday and Sunday nights in the bar room ( "The Crystal Palace" ) We had on-site housing and free meals, too. I even got to ride in the rodeo, once, when an event rider got to drunk to get on a horse. I got thrown, the second time around, before 8 seconds and didn't win any cash. Only my pride got hurt. ONE GOOD SUMMER !!!
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

I've played a lot of rodeos, but I've never had a desire to get on a bull. They have generally been a good experience along with good food. I usually play for a dance just following the rodeo. Saturday I played for a rodeo sponsors party. Full house,good dancers and great food along with an open bar.EEE Haw
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

I played a rodeo at the Orlando arena in the early '90's. We were on a stage right next to the shutes. I was the one nearest them about 4 or 5 ft away. When a very large, angry bull got his head and front legs over the bars I made a speedy retreat. As much as I love my old P/P Emmons I left it sitting just a foot or so away from his big drooling face. They got him back down and no damage was done other that the less than adequate job I did playing the rest of the set out.