bad sound peavey vegas

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Francis Smyth

bad sound peavey vegas

Post by Francis Smyth »

I purchased a vegas 400 with lemay mod fitted.Im not happy with the sound.It sounds poxey if thats the right word to use.The steel player with the Bellamey brothers used it when they were here on tour and he did not like the sound of it either.Any suggestions. .Thanks in advance
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

I can send you the kit info. I do not sell the kit, I only install it. You can purchase the materials from my list (prices are a bit out of date) and have a tech do it there.
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Settings are paramount on a Vegas to get a good sound.

The paramid /shift can destroy your tone if it's set wrong.

I set mine with the shift set on 800, and the paramid turned completely anticlockwise till it won't go no more :D

Here are my other settings:

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Richard,

I see you're going through the #2 input. I do that sometimes but I don't get the fullness, or power, of the #1 input.

I have a Vegas 400 and after a lot of tinkering, (Peavey update kit, JBL), I have come to appreciate and love it.

Can you say "love" concerning an amplifier?

I have found my Vegas to be very settings sensitive. I mean, a little knob movement makes a big difference in sound!

I think the reverb is terrible, so I use a Boss RV3.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

As a post script to my earlier post.

I enclosed the back on my Vegas, which I think helped the sound tremendously. It took me a while to get the enclosure right, due to insulation and porting parameters. But, once I worked out the details of the enclosure, I found that to really give me the tone and power I am after.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I like Peavey stuff. I have a few pieces. But,, the Vegas was the only amp I've ever owned that I was happy to get rid of!
Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson »

Isn't the first channel of the Vegas 400 EQ'd the same as a standard Nashville 400?
Shorty Rogers

Post by Shorty Rogers »

What speaker is in it?
Mike Brown

Vegas 400

Post by Mike Brown »

Francis, Peavey mod kits are still available. Call me(if you are in North America) at 1-877-732-8391, ext.1180 and let's discuss.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Francis,

I ordered the Peavey tone modification kit, and installed it myself. It isn't that hard to do if you can solder, and desolder. Peavey sends good instructions and pictures with a parts list.

It sounds good, but it took me a while to get the tone dialed in after the change.

Remember, the knobs, (buttons, excuse my Southern), on the Vegas really work, and they are sensitive.
Francis Smyth

Peavey vegas amp

Post by Francis Smyth »

What is the difference in the peavey mod kit and the lemay kit.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I have pulled them both out of amps and did not see a lot of difference in the cap values at all.

LeMay marked his IC chips with red finger nail polish, no telling what he used.

I am yet to see an original factory modded amp that had Burr Brown audio chips. The after market kit from Peavey does have those chips in it.

Having seen about 200 of these and Nashville 400's in the last couple of years I have pulled a lot of Lemay and Peavey kits out. Those were were my observations to date.

The Vegas 400 is the same schematic as a N-400 with a addition of a second channel with guitar tone type controls (passive as opposed to active controls).
Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson »

Thanks Ken for answering my question.

I hear quite often from players with the N400 saying the V400 they had sounded bad and visa versa........ :\

Must be the deadly "black steels sound best" syndrome. :lol: