Fantastic Beginners Book for E9 pedal steel

CDs, LPs, tapes, videos, tab, instruction, software
Elizabeth West

Fantastic Beginners Book for E9 pedal steel

Post by Elizabeth West »

I found this book "Wow", at our local music store. Now things are lookin' up in Canada .
This is a fantastic beginners book.I'm using it for teaching.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

I'm a teacher, too, Elizabeth, and bought this to study other books and teaching ideas.

I was underwhelmed: there's some good stuff in it, but like Scotty's and most other books, the material covers a strangely wide gamut, and some info is flat out wrong. He even has his guitar backwards in the case in the photo showing how to set up your steel!

The tabbed out exercises and little songs are far too simple, imho. And several pages on playing the blues in a beginner's course? Way too early to introduce that.

I still favor Scotty's two books overall: the Deluxe Method, and the Anthology, both from Mel Bay.

But students at any level should get whatever they can from wherever they can, so if this book helps someone in any way, then it does have value. I own just about every E9 lesson book written, and every one of them has some great kernel of knowledge that's proven helpful.
Last edited by John McClung on 27 Mar 2009 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

I have that book also. I have had it about a year now. I find it very valuable. I keep it right beside my "Winnie Winston" and "Scotty" Books. I have found the informaiton in those trio of books to be priceless.

BTW, I found mine at Amazon. I got an "opened" one at a reduced rate.
George Wong

Post by George Wong »

The best thing for me about this book is that it has notation for which fingers you're supposed to use with your right hand.