Dan Seals R.I.P.

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Randy Patton

Dan Seals R.I.P.

Post by Randy Patton »

We will miss you Dan.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Dan Seals, who was England Dan in the pop duo England Dan and John Ford Coley and later had a successful country career, has died of complications from cancer. He was 61.
MSA Tour Pro, MSA Millennium U12, Telobar, Quilter TT15, Quilter TT12, Benado Steel Dream, BJS Bars.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

What a shame...I have a Best of Dan Seals CD with some great tunes on it like God Must Be a Cowboy, Everything That Glitters Is Not Gold, and My Old Yellow Car. RIP
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Jeff Garden wrote:What a shame...I have a Best of Dan Seals CD with some great tunes on it like God Must Be a Cowboy, Everything That Glitters Is Not Gold, and My Old Yellow Car. RIP
Everything that Glitters is one of my favorites,
by Dan. HE will be missed for sure.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I'm deeply saddened to hear this! He was also one of my favorites. "Everything that Glitters" was one of the better story songs out......JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

One of the nicest guys I've ever been blessed to have worked with. An absolute jewel. You will be missed greatly, old friend...
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

I met him in the early 70's when his band "England Dan and John Ford Coley" was touring with his brother's band "Seals and Crofts".

So sad, because was such a really nice guy. And a southpaw picker too. :)

He told me he used to paint houses in Texas before he decided to become a musician. May he rest in peace.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

One of the few who came over to country and sounded
completely believable and natural from the gitgo.
Some great enduring songs that became bigger over the the years (Everything That Glitters). Songs you
don't get tired of. Didn't know him, but I admired him. Sad we had to lose another good one way too soon.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

He didn't "come over to country". He came over to pop from country and then went back to country.
Dale Bessant

Post by Dale Bessant »

What a shame, I really liked his music he was very talented....he played guitar south pawed up side down if I recall...and had a great voice... we all must go someday but its a sad to go so early.... and to this disease ....R.I.P. Dan
BMI S-10,3+4,Peavey Vegas 400,15"BW equipped,Goodrich 120,Zoom Studio rack mount-FX,Liberty Resonator,Fender Telecaster,JT-148 Jazz Box,Blueridge BR-180
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

A heck of a nioe guy we've. I once interviewed him years ago while working at WDBL Radio in Springfield, TN. That was during the era when "God Must Have Been a Cowboy at Heart" was out. Dan's in a much better place now, R.I.P. my friend.

Nick
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

R.I.P. DAN:::I dearly loved his sound and all of the songs mentioned here my sincere condolences to his family.May he rest in peace, He is no longer in pain.
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
Rick Troyer

Post by Rick Troyer »

Indeed what a loss ! Dan seemed to be a genuine and caring person as well as a great talent .
I met Dan through his steel player Mark Hawthorn . Mark lives here in Ohio and we have been friends since childhood . Mark toured with Dan for around 3 years . You can hear him on "Three Time Loser" . I'm sure there are other cuts he's on but this one sticks out in my memory .
Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends . R.I.P. RT
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Just wondering if anyone knew where the name "England Dan" came from since Dan was a country boy from Texas....
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

I read that "England" was a nickname he got from his older brother, Jimmy (Seals & Crofts). Dan was a nice guy. I remember playing bass on publishing demos for him years ago here in L.A.
Mickey Adams

Years Ago

Post by Mickey Adams »

Dan was always one of my very favorite singers. While crossing the US in my youth, moving back to the South from NM, I was driving through a VERY small town in the desert. Much to my surprise I passed a church and on the Marquee was a sign saying DAN SEALS 7:00pm tonight....It was 6:50pm. I parked my car and went into this little church and listened to Dan for about an hour. It was just him, and his acoustic guitar. Afterwards I spent just a few minutes talking to the man that I so looked up to and considered a REAL artist in his field. I would have been honored to have been able to work with him, but alas, that never came to be. I for one will miss you Dan. My condolences to all that knew him, and to his family...
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Bernie Gonyea

Everything That Glitters Is Not Gold

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:(

I , too , always loved hearing Dan's voice; especially on " Everything That Glitters Is Not Gold". A young Lad in my first band was an ardent fan of Dan's and always sang all of his songs. Really enjoyed doing those numbers so much.. Many blessings to Dan's family and his many fans from around the world..Bernie :cry:
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Pete Storms

Post by Pete Storms »

My wife and I met Dan at an in the park concert in Moses Lake Washington quite a few years back. He also played saxaphone. We had a chance to meet him and talk breifly, got his autograph. Dan was a very nice guy. God bless him and his family.

Pete
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

Is this the same Dan Seals that did "Bop" back in the 80's? Man, I remember the band getting a lot of requests for that tune. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Robbie Bossert
Emmett Roch

Post by Emmett Roch »

One and the same, Rob. Lottsa folks liked and requested "Bop".

At a recording session last year, Dash Crofts told me that Dan had cancer of the esophagus. It often comes from having - and sometimes from not properly treating - Barrett's Esophagus, and once it turns into the Big C, you've got 1-2 years.

I have the same thing, so I take my meds like the doc tells me to, in hopes that my condition will remain benign. Guys, get yourself checked.
On Earth, as it is in Texas
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

Hey Emmett,
Thanks for confirming that for me. Sorry to hear of your condition. However, thanks for the heads up on what to look out for. Take vare and get well soon.

Robbie Bossert