Monster Cables

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Wright

Post by Dave Wright »

Well, i didnt mean to open a can of worms.!!So, with that said. I never said they were the best. I clearly stated that I can hear a difference. I was using adams x-lines cords. Which are probly cheap. Ive had them for a few years. I switched, and can hear a differ. Thats all. Not sure if it has something to do with gold plated ends or it being dielectric insulation, or whatever. It just sounds differ. Now quit be'in haters :lol:
SD-10 Carter 4&5, Fender Steel King
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Monster[sup]® [/sup]Worms!

How is it these guys haven't been sued?
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

Dave,

I assume your kidding on why. You probably teach that info in your class. Trademark copyrights for catagory 9 are rare these days. Take my cowboy registered trademark. The owner of the Lone Ranger trademark attempted a cease and desist so I had to make sure the sun glasses were very well defined. Trademark is for software only. Go figure. McDonalds I hear chase after anyone and everyone using that name. They did lose in Grand Cayman Island as a local is using the McDonalds name there. I wonder if Monster Cable is arrogant enough to think they're the McDonalds of the cable world?

http://www.cactus.com/index.php?p=COPYRIGHT
Last edited by Jeff Hyman on 19 Mar 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Uh ... I'm sorta jokin'. But I actually thought it was pretty interesting that the worm manufacturer had the ® after Monster, which makes me wonder if there wasn't some sort of issue.
I wonder if Monster Cable is arrogant enough to think they're the McDonalds of the cable world?
Uh ... I don't know for sure, but mebbe. At least if past history is any indication. You don't have to look far to see this, but here's one HERE.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Monster cables are the most over-hyped products on the market. They *do* have some good ones, but they have some with fairly high-capacitance as well - a bad thing for most guitar players.

There have been many "cable test" articles in six-string guitar mags over the last couple of decades, and sound-wise Monster's guitar cables generally finish in the middle of the pack...and dead last in the "bang-for-the-buck" category.

They are not expensive because of some voodoo-like quality in product or manufacturing - they're expensive because Monster spends an incredible amount of money on marketing and pretty packaging. A fancy blister-pack with sparkly-gold ends showing and fancy 4-color logos don't have a darned thing to do with performance - they have to do with sucking the consumer into a vortex of "buy me buy me buy me...."

Folks who hear the "incredible difference" usually think they HAVE to, having just plopped down fifty bucks on a $15 cable.

I know most steel guitarists could not care less about the 6-string world, but it would be very educational for them to read magazines like Guitar Player, Vintage Guitar, Tonequest Report and drop in on forums like the Tele and Fender forum, just to read the gear reviews. There has been so much stuff posted on this forum over the last 5 years or so that had been dead, embalmed and buried on guitar forums that I find it surprising.

If you play guitar - even one with pedals and a bar for a fret - it's still a guitar, and you can learn a lot from the same sources other guitar players use.

And cable posts are often prime examples of folks not understanding the guitar world as a whole.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

From a legal position... the pi$$ing match begins here:

http://usasearch.gov/search?v%3aproject ... ction=list&

There is a window of time (in years) where one can contest a trademark. Once this window of time has passed, it's much more difficult to do battle. It appears their trademarks go back to 2005 and some are as current as this year. I wonder which one will come into play with this legal battle. There is also an over saturation factor which does weakin the owners mark. I could not locate the catagory level of the trademark.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/so ... 899157.pdf
http://usasearch.gov/search?v%3aproject ... ction=list&
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I have tried George L's cable, the kind you make with their ends, I didn't have too good use with them. A while back,I heard of some manufacturer made some that were "Oxygen Free". The manufacturer also stated by removing the oxygen out of the cable, that it would cut down on cable loss, thus creating a better sound. I didn't fall for that.Tommy Shown
Bill Patton

Post by Bill Patton »

Life's too short to buy from a$$hole companies. They also use slightly larger plugs, which can mess up your input jacks.
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

A. J. Schobert wrote:They are very good, expensive but good, Sometime ago their was a thread about this and alot of guys favor gearge l's, because they like the solderless option and you can make a repair quick, I will never understand this when their are so many better cables and to me I would want a solder cable versues a non-solder.

The guy also has a nice Bentley
Please qualify "so many better cables"?

I think you will find a lot of George l fans around these parts:)

ob
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

Bob,

One thing for sure on this forum, with over eight thousand members, everyone has different tastes and needs. Some products work for some, and not for others. Some feedback certainly influences ones decision making process prior to a purchase. My A/B switch thread is an example. Opinions are a good thing, as long as one keeps an open mind. I too would not give up my GeorgeL cables. I've been happy with them from day one.... others: not. Thats OK. In China or Afganistan, we'd be in jail :-)
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Bob Snelgrove wrote:Please qualify "so many better cables"?

I think you will find a lot of George l fans around these parts :)
"Better" is different things to different people. If you're looking for a fuller, fatter sound, the low-cap cables like GL's may not be for you. If you're looking for a cable that will break easily, then you might not want Monsters'. There is no "best", it's what each person likes and what characteristics they're looking for. If you keep the lengths to a minimum, most cables will give an "acceptable" sound.

Below is a link to a company (Atlantic Design) that makes low capacity cables like GL. The audio clips provide a good example of what your cables can do to your sound. Of course, they are done with a straight guitar, but needless to say that some (like myself) may not always prefer the sound results that lower-capacity cables give.

Listen to all of them, and judge for yourself which level of treble or fullness you prefer. :idea:

http://www.aqdi.com/faceoff.htm
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

Donny,

http://www.aqdi.com/zerocap.htm#link9

Needs a battery. I always worry 'bout that. Have you ever experimented with one of these cables? They do seem quite good... but I wonder how long the batteries last for a weekend player.
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

Donny Hinson wrote:
Bob Snelgrove wrote:Please qualify "so many better cables"?

I think you will find a lot of George l fans around these parts :)
"Better" is different things to different people. If you're looking for a fuller, fatter sound, the low-cap cables like GL's may not be for you. If you're looking for a cable that will break easily, then you might not want Monsters'. There is no "best", it's what each person likes and what characteristics they're looking for. If you keep the lengths to a minimum, most cables will give an "acceptable" sound.

Below is a link to a company (Atlantic Design) that makes low capacity cables like GL. The audio clips provide a good example of what your cables can do to your sound. Of course, they are done with a straight guitar, but needless to say that some (like myself) may not always prefer the sound results that lower-capacity cables give.

Listen to all of them, and judge for yourself which level of treble or fullness you prefer. :idea:

http://www.aqdi.com/faceoff.htm
Which would be most like the George L's?

thx

bob
Scott Hiestand

Post by Scott Hiestand »

Bill Patton wrote:Life's too short to buy from a$$hole companies. They also use slightly larger plugs, which can mess up your input jacks.
I was just told the same thing by my guitar playing band-mates. These guys have gobs of gear so I imagine they know what they are talking about. I'll "stay away" for that reason alone, the price is just an added incentive.
Gabriel Stutz

Post by Gabriel Stutz »

I like my Monster cable for guitar and from my VP to my amp, but when I put one between my steel and my VP, there was an immediately noticeable and huge drop in the highs I could hear. I switched back to the GL cable and the mud was gone. I'll never do that again. On the other hand, if your steel sounds a little too bright, it might be a good way to temper it.

Gabriel
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

It ain't hard to get a cheap cable if you want to cut off some high end. Look at the Guitar Player shootout and simply choose something with a higher capacitance per foot figure. Don't need to spend $40-50 for something like that. For example, the old Rapco/Horizon cables do that just fine for $10-15.

My opinion, of course.
Gabriel Stutz

Post by Gabriel Stutz »

Agreed. I viewed the loss of highs with disappointment, but if you already spent the money, they could have a use.

Gabriel
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

BS how is the weather in CA?

What I was trying to say is that I don't understand why so many steel players like solder-less cords, to me I would want a solder'd cord, it is more dependable IMO. I just look at solder less cables as cords that will fail, sure solder cables can fail but not as bad as a mechanical fitting. I don't have expensive cords myself, I genrally buy a cheap store brand. I have played through MC brand, I like them since they feel heavy duty and not wimpy.
Gabriel Stutz

Post by Gabriel Stutz »

In my experience with George L cables, they've actually failed much less frequently than the soldered cables I've had. The other thing I like is if they do fail you can fix them at a gig without having to carry a soldering iron in your gig bag. You just need something to cut the ends with.

Gabriel