Charlie McFey & Son? history etc.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I friend was talking about an old steel maker/player
he knew in Pennsylvania back in the day.

Charlie McFey, who also had a son who played
for Buck Owens, and did Hee Haw.
He also may have invented the B bender or something similar

It was ringing small bells for me but not firm remembrance.
But I told Bob I would find him some history from the steeler world about them. What brand guitars did he build for instance.
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Ernie Pollock

Hum

Post by Ernie Pollock »

I think his name was McVay, he did live up near Pittsburgh Pa. I met him once at a steel show or seminar, can't be sure but I think it was in the 80's. He had a little single neck on display & it tuned alot of the changes underneath the guitar. Don't know much about his son, but I thought he played on Wheeling Jamboree. You will probably get more info from guys up in that area.

Ernie Pollock
http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm
Phil Lachaga

Post by Phil Lachaga »

Yes, his son (also Charlie), installs B and G Bender mechanisms in tele style(mostly) guitars. His design is discrete like Joe Glaser's but those that have them claim they're an improvement. I have a Glaser and a few Parson White's but no McVay.
Charlie has gotten a lot of notice because he does Brad Paisley's bender installs - Brad plays mostly Crook Guitars,(with McVays benders) except for his 68 Pink Paisley.
McVay and Crook each have web sites for those interested.
Best,
Phil
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Charlie built mostly single neck guitars. I have a friend near Pittsburg (Dick Vernon) that has one of the few, if only, D-10 that was built.
David L. Donald

Well that is some good info so far.
Bob's memories are 25+ years old.
I will browse Ernie's site to.

Anybody else with memories are welcome to drop them in.
Last edited by David L. Donald on 21 Mar 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Galysh

Post by Dan Galysh »

Charlie and his dad were two of the first steel players that I ever saw play. Charlie Sr. used to play in this place called Hotel Kish in Stoneboro Pa. They used to have national acts in there and he would play in the opening band. This was way back in the mid '70s. I haven't seen Charlie Jr. in about 10+ years since he played on the Wheeling Jamboree in the staff band. I got his number and will try to call him tomorrow. He is a fine person and player.
David L. Donald

Ask him if he remembers
Rich Harper guitar player and Big Bob Arkwright drummer.

Bob said the learned their first country from them.

Michael McElravy

Post by Michael McElravy »

I am a friend of Charlie McVay Jr. and am playing a '66 Emmons PP that he rebuilt for me. He played the Wheeling Jamboree for many years and is a great player and a mechanical wonder. He did Emmons PP rebuilds for many of the Nashville players coming through the Jamboree for many years, I'm not sure if he still does them. He got to know Brad Paisley at the Jamboree, as Brad is from that area. He modeled his B-Bender on the fingers of an Emmons PP guitar in order to maximize the bender's tone. I was also a friend of his father, Charlie Sr., who passed away several years ago. I became aware of Charlie Sr. about 1970 and he was already building McVay steel guitars back then. As mentioned in an earlier post, another close friend (and the guy that turned me on to steel guitar) Dick Vernon, has one of the last steels, if not the very last, that Charlie Sr. built before he passed away. One correction, Charlie Jr. did not play for Buck Owens, but rather he took the staff steel job at the Wheeling Jamboree when Jerry Brightman vacated it to go play for Buck Owens. The McVays were/are from the New Castle, PA area.
David L. Donald

Cool info.
Any more on Charlie Sr.

I think my friends knew him a bit better.
I think more as a grandfatherly mentor on country styles.
I know Bob thought it was cool this old guy would take the time to jam and teach them to do the style properly.

Dan Galysh

Post by Dan Galysh »

Hey David. I just got done talking with Charlie Jr. and did some catching up. I found it interesting that his dad let him build his own single neck steel when he was 14 years old (he turned 15 when he finished it). He was able to get the guitar back after selling it and now owns it. Too cool.
He does remember Rich Harper and Big Bob Arkwright.
David L. Donald

Hi Dan.
Thanks for more info.

I know Bob from the island,we played many times together.
Rich and Bob were playing together 2 of the
last 3 years at this festival.

Though this year Bob played with Lil Willie from the our island
and Rich had a different bass and drums from Bangkok.

http://www.phuketbluesfestival.com/

I thought Charlie would be interested in seeing their current thing.

Dan Galysh

Post by Dan Galysh »

David, Charlie's personal computer is down right now, but he told me he'll check this thread out when it's up and running.
David L. Donald

Cool.
It would be nice to see some pic of those old steels too.

Doug Seymour

Charlie McVey, sr

Post by Doug Seymour »

Charlie was a great guy and I think he was the founder of the Allegheny Pedal Steel club whicxh I belong to.
He showed me his photo album of the steels he'd made over the years. He also made an all aluminum 5 string banjo which he played very well! He made a few keyless steels. Always chewed on a cigar.....not sure it was ever lit?? His son is a fine steeler on either neck and as they said in the above posts a great mechanic!
Charlie,sr loved the BL 705s & JBL spkrs! Both were his favorites. Steve Porter has his S10 McVay with him in Afghanistan......let's pray that Steve is home soon!
If you've never heard Steve pick you've missed some fine steel.....he's one of our club's best guys & picker!
Gino Iorfida

Post by Gino Iorfida »

Small world. I met Charlie Sr. when I was in the market for my first steel. Knowing the McVay name, I called McVay Music (which the family owns), and was told to contact Charlie Sr, who was selling a steel of Dick Vernons (an old MSA), I met up wi9th Charlie who not only showed me just about everything you can thik of on that old MSA, but he also sold em a bar he made with a flat piece bolted to the back, making it easier to pick up. I also heard him play one of his steels, which had THE SOUND. I felt bad for my wife who waited in the car... and I came out of the house a good hour and a half later. Charlie was a good talker....

Last year, I had Charlie Jr. install a B Bender in my tele, another great guy, who definitely knows his craft. All in all... just good people.
David L. Donald

Hey Gino, thanks for more great anecdotes!