John Billings

Maddox Bros +Rose

Post by John Billings »

Wonder who's playin' steel?
http://33records.cdbpdx.com/RadioAd/
Ray Montee

JOHN..........I can't beleive it!

Post by Ray Montee »

What in the world prompted YOU, to purchase records from the Divison Street Corral Estate?
I live in this backwoods town and never heard a word about any forthcoming sale of records or whatever.

Did you find any recording in any format of Arkie and His Jolly Cowboys. KXL Radio or whatever?

Other than radio stations, I beleive they were still using wire recorders at that time. I haven't a single song from Arkie's band.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Ray! Actually, I found that site by linking to this one, which I have posted before.
http://78records.cdbpdx.com/
Ron Whitfield

I love these guys!

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Sounds like the mighty fine, Bud Duncan on the steel.
He was pretty much the only steeler they used on records and the road.

Great to hear these tunes, especially the full version of Live And Love which usually got the truncated treatment on air shots.

Nobody like the MB&R, before or since.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

For some odd reason, when I bought my Eddie Gabbard Bigsby I also received a pair of loud and wild Nathan Turk western pants that were originally made for the Maddox Bros. How and why they were in Eddie's closet is a mystery. He was from the same area and gigged around there at the same time though. Maybe he sat in for Bud Duncan and kept the pants, dunno?
And oh, those pants fit me perfectly!! 8) :D
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Jussi! That's funny!!!!!!!
Jussi Huhtakangas

Yes John, and if I ebayed those pants I'd laugh all the way to the bank!! Marty Stuart has another identical pair in his collection :D
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Jussi, every shot I've seen of Bud on stage with that group, he always had his own regular stage suits, while the group where uniformly attired in the Nudies. So he probably was given or copped those as a souvenier.
Can you post a pic?! You don't have to put them on...
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

In the early years I believe possibly that Jody McCauley was the first steel player with the Maddox Family.
When the band took breaks they all came down into the audience and sold key chains and other small band memorabilia which I understand paid for all their traveling expenses.
Also, the Band's Mother was supposed to pretty much run the business end of the band. There was always the story: Mother Maddox showed up at a Cadillac agency to buy a new Cadillac. The Salesman pretty much shined her off until she produced cash and bought three Cadillacs. The band did not have a bus, they toured in Cadillacs.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

And there was the time when Rose got 'influenced' by The Killer - Jerry Lee lewis, and Rose snuck in to her Mom's room and made off with the whole $ roll, hooking up with a happy JLL and didn't come home for at least a week..., sans any cash, but some fun stories that probably never left her lips...
Dr. Richard Buffington

Mattox Bros.

Post by Dr. Richard Buffington »

Hey Ron, My first date with my wife was to see The Mattox Bros. & Rose memorial day 1950. We wanted to see Roy Nichols play that big guitar and he didn't disappoint us. He played western swing in a hillbilly
band. I asked about the steel guitar and they said the brother that played the steel passed away earlier. I never heard him play. P.S. We will be married 56 yrs in Sept
Jussi Huhtakangas

Ron, I don't have a photo at hand, but Maddoxes wearing those pants can be seen in the book Hillbilly Hollywood on page 49 and a close up insert on page 52. They are an amazing example of the 40's western custom tailoring, workmanship and materials are incredible. And it was mainly Nathan Turk who made all the suits for the Maddoxes, not Nudie.
Ron Whitfield

Dang, that's right, Turk!

Post by Ron Whitfield »

That book, Hillbilly Hollywood is crazy good. I need to get it. Thanx for the reminder!