possible finger problem E9 th

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Sloan

possible finger problem E9 th

Post by Bob Sloan »

My Sho-Bud Super pro, Has devoloped
a problem, When i press my a pedal it makes a noise
almost sounds like something snaping, or like that.
It still plays fine,But that noise i cannot figure out. I noticed the finger on string five moves out, but then slips back thats when it makes that sound
any ideas id sure appreciate it. thanks bob.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Kinda sounds like something hangin up in the changer area. Flip it over onto something padded like a folded bath towel and work the A pedal to see if you can tell where it's hangin up. Might just need a little tweakin and some good ole lubrication.
Barry Gaskell

Post by Barry Gaskell »

Hi Bob
After you've checked, visually, looking through the mechanism from the window to see if there is any debris in there (string ball), and the movement of the finger from underneath and making sure it's not a rod thread hang-up, and it's not a rod problem at the crank end, it's possibly the cutting of a groove in the mazac top section of the changer. I've had these problems with a Pro III and my current Super-Pro. On my guitars it tended to be strings 3,5,6 and 10 (the most used)
If you are familiar with the Sho-Bud mechanism and can take a finger out, (take the strings off and push the bar gradually out with a similar sized bar until you get to the suspected changer, don't push the original bar right out as you only want to take the one section out. remove any rods and springs from that one changer making a note of the rod positions) and if you haven't a pull on the ninth string, swap the faulty finger with the ninth.
If it sounds a bit daunting, get someone to check each finger wear to make sure it is the problem.
It is possible to move the point of contact on the finger by bending the lower finger a little, but it is only really a short term fix. You could replace them all with Coop parts, as if one has worn, there are probably a few more. Ricky is the man for any information regarding Sho-Buds and their replacement parts.
Best of luck
Barry
John Drury

Re: possible finger problem E9 th

Post by John Drury »

Bob Sloan wrote:My Sho-Bud Super pro, Has devoloped
a problem, When i press my a pedal it makes a noise
almost sounds like something snaping, or like that.
It still plays fine,But that noise i cannot figure out. I noticed the finger on string five moves out, but then slips back thats when it makes that sound
any ideas id sure appreciate it. thanks bob.
I'll tell you exactly what it is, you have a worn finger.

Easy fix, drive a shaft the same size as the axle through the point where the snapping finger is, then withdraw enough to drop the finger. Insert a new one, or repair it with a small rivet ground flush with the contact area and you are back in business.

Common problem with the pot metal fingers, no big deal.
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Oops,

Sorry Barry, didn't notice your post!

Sloan,

Do like Barry says!
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Austin Tripp

Post by Austin Tripp »

Lube, lube, lube the guitar before you started tearing it apart. Actually grease would probaly be better than oil. If it still plays good and sounds good, I would not even worry about it.
"Hotrod"
Steel guitarist for Cody Jinks
Member CMA
Jeff Watson

Post by Jeff Watson »

I've got my new Coop fingers on their way after running out of undamaged originals to swap around. It took me a long time to get around to this since Austin and I could have been seperated at birth (and by about 40 years) :lol: .
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

I appreciate Austin's ambitious reply about the "grease", but I would rethink before applying grease to a changer. We, recently, have been having very good luck with TriFlow, a teflon based aerosol spray (you can get it in the liquid form), especially around the changer area. It drys film free and does an excellent job of penetration. Not to put cold water on the young man's suggestion but one may regret it later as everyone knows grease is a dirt magnet.

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

If you are familiar with the Sho-Bud mechanism and can take a finger out, (take the strings off and push the bar gradually out with a similar sized bar until you get to the suspected changer, don't push the original bar right out as you only want to take the one section out. remove any rods and springs from that one changer making a note of the rod positions) and if you haven't a pull on the ninth string, swap the faulty finger with the ninth.
Exactly but you don't need to remove all the strings. Just take off the string on the suspected changer finger and LOOSEN all the others.

Also you'll need to remove all pull rods pass through that particular changer finger. Use a wood dowel or even an unsharpened pencil to drive the changer axle just beyond the offending changer finger, then withdraw the dowel just far enough to drop that finger.

I've done this so many times that the whole process only takes 20-30 min. To re-install the finger.....just reverse the process.

BTW: I can vouch for the Coop Changer fingers.....they work and sound better than the originals.
Bob Sloan

Thank you all & God Bless!

Post by Bob Sloan »

Thank you all for your ideas,I put them into my favorites. A couple of weeks ago i was cleaning my bud and a pedal rod fell off, I put it back on backwards and the wrong hole, after reading your ideas i looked alot closer, that cured the problem.
Again a million thanks.