Just bought my first pedal steel! Now I have some questions.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nicholas Martin

Just bought my first pedal steel! Now I have some questions.

Post by Nicholas Martin »

Whenever I want to buy something frivolous, I try to wait a few months and see if I still want it. Most of the time I don't. However, this time I did. I am now the owner of a GFI Ultra S10 pedal steel.

A few questions -
1. Did I get a good deal? I paid 1350 for this instrument. Ordinary e9th 3/4 set up. No wristpad. I've seen this model used for 1600, new they list for 2550.

2. Where do I begin? I have the Emmons chord change CD/chart, which should be helpful, but can anybody recommend any very, very basic instructional books or dvds?

3. Does anybody know of instructors or otherwise knowledgeable people in the Austin, TX area?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

being in Texas is a good start. lots of nice players in Texas, you did not go wrong on the price. a good start would be to learn what the strings tune to, and what the pedals & knees does and why. give yourself plenty of time it takes some time on these things, and some people learn faster then others. try to learn as much as you can about scales for they are what makes the music. Joe Wright has it so you can learn from him by one on one web cam.youtube has alot of postings about steel guitars.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I'd say you got a good deal on the guitar.

Winnie Winston's book Pedal Steel Guitar is an excellent starting source, WITH THE CAVEAT that some feel its orientation toward country style playing is a drawback. If you want to play country style, that naturally shouldn't be a problem for you. And in my view it contains a lot of useful information for E9th pedal steel: basic chords, scales, technique, and mechanics.
John Gould

jeffran music

Post by John Gould »

Make sue you check out the courses from
Jeffran Music.
Jeffran College
11214 Travis Gulch Drive
Charlotte, NC 28277

Office hours:
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM central time.
We also have a codaphone to take messages and orders when we are not in the office. We will call you back if you need answers to any questions.

We have a regular talk line, 704-543-6059, you can call for questions or assistance about anything. If you want to place an order or have questions about our courses we have a toll free number 800-373-3418. We reserve the 800 number for the orders only. Please respect that. We accept Visa and Mastercard phone orders.

Fran is a sweet heart and Jeff's stuff is still some of the best around.
A couple of guitars
Nashville 1000 Fender Mustang III Boss Katana MKII 50
Emmons LeGrande II and Sho Bud Pro II
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Scotty's Music out of St.Louis has a variety of courses available. I had a course From Sho-Bud that concisted of book and an album (yes vinyl once again), that broke it down and explained everything. I would let you use it, but it got destroyed when my house caught on fire a couple of years ago. Tommy
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

There's plenty here on the forum as well. Instruction is at the upper left hand corner of your screen.
Amor vincit omnia
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

Nicholas,
If You can make it,come to the Texas Steel Guitar Assosciation annual Jamboree which is being held in the Sheraton Hotel,Irving(near Dallas Fort Worth airport).
This event takes place next week March 13-15
You will get all the help You need to get started everyone will be there,Big timers to beginners.
Best regards
Billy