Help choosing right cabinet for new amp head

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Judson Bertoch

Help choosing right cabinet for new amp head

Post by Judson Bertoch »

Greetings,

So I pre-ordered the new Vox Night Train Head (15w/7.5w) and realized I know nothing about choosing proper cabinet. Hopefully I can get a bit of general education on the below options as well as recommendation(s). Lots of choices out there: inexpensive / moderate / and high price models...yikes I'm lost.

My lap steel is 2 humbuckers.

1) 1x12 vs 2x10 ?
2) slotted vs ported vs sealed ?
3) the proper amp power to speaker "efficiency" match ?
4) right speaker ?
5) best bang for the buck?

Thanks much!
JB
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

1) I'd go with 1x12. Most steelers find 10s a little too shrill on the highs.
2) Open-back (with an open slot about 1/3 of the back area) is more versatile for me. The sound out the back helps other band members hear you, especially drummers and bass players, who tend to be behind you. Also, the sound out the back bounces around and helps fill the room. Closed-back are more efficient, but more directional. Some cabinet makers have a sliding slat, so the back can be used open or closed.
3) For an amp of that power, you want a low powered speaker, not a stiff heavy-duty speaker.
4) My first pick would be a Weber neo. They supposedly sound like the old JBLs, but are lighter.
5) Lots of used low-medium powered 12" guitar speakers out there to try.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

dont forget to match the ohms to your heads output.

best bang for your buck is kinda subjective, but avatar is very popular with budget minded guitarists and their customer service is excellent.
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

I own two of their 4x12's and one 2x12.
(loud rock bands WERE my thing)

I have a bad back so i really like ultralight cabs and speakers like my Marrs Ultralight cab with Eminence neo 15 inch speaker. The avatars stay at home now.